Cherokee Recovering update

Old March 16th 10, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

Default Cherokee Recovering update

On Mar 15, 6:24*am, Tony wrote:
On Mar 15, 7:21*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:

Hi Tony,

Cool! *Thanks for sharing!

I've never been involved in a wing recovering. *It looks a lot like covering
a remote control glider wing - which I have done - many years ago. *In the
video it appears that you are using an iron to attach the fabric to the
wood. *What is the iron heating up that causes the fabric to stick to the
wood? *What is the adhesive? *Just curious.

Thanks,

Paul Remde

Paul -

yes the iron is heating the adhesive which had been brushed on the
wing. *The Stewart Systems EkoBond glue is heat activated. *I found
this very convenient. We started each day by brushing the glue on the
wing where we wanted to attach the fabric, then letting it dry. *This
allowed us to put the fabric blanket on the wing and adjust its
position without it sticking to everything and smearing glue all over
the place. *Then with the iron we re-activated the glue and viola the
fabric was stuck. *Final step is to brush the glue through the fabric
to complete the bond and wipe off the excess.

Tony,
Do you also snug the fabric with heat? I got to play with a line of
products at Oshkosh in '97 that appear to be similar to what you're
using. Very much like covering a model wing with 'modern' materials.
Heat adhesive, heat shrink. Neat stuff.
Thanks for posting the video!
Old March 16th 10, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Mar 16, 9:40*am, Grider Pirate wrote:
On Mar 15, 6:24*am, Tony wrote:

[...]

Thanks for posting the video!- Hide quoted text -

yes, all Dacron (Ceconite) fabric used on aircraft these days shrinks
with heat. we did two shrinks with my cheapo wal mart iron. One at
250ish degrees and the second at 300ish degrees. You may have seen a
demo of the AFS system, which is the same as Stewarts. Stewart bought
AFS in the early 2000's I think.