"Somebody check your mike on the radio, please..."

Old November 22nd 05, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default "Somebody check your mike on the radio, please..."

These are the same people who, when they receive a superfluous email
(like "remove me") from a mailing list, send a response to the entire
list asking "Why did I receive this?". :-)

Old November 22nd 05, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...
These are the same people who, when they receive a superfluous email
(like "remove me") from a mailing list, send a response to the entire
list asking "Why did I receive this?". :-)

Or ask for winds and active when there are 6 people in the pattern all
announcing for the same runway.

Old November 22nd 05, 08:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Excuse me, I design audio panels for a living and have done so for almost 40
years. DOn't tell me it has nothing to do with the audio panel. It has
EVERYTHING to do with the audio panel.

Jim

Old November 22nd 05, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jose wrote:

And if the stack has an audio panel worthy of the name, the opposite
transceiver's audio is cut off during transmit to prevent an unholy
squeal coming down the audio line of the receiver that is still
operating.

You sure? I've operated split (on different frequencies), and not been
cut off when the other pilot was transmitting. Does the audio panel
know what frequencies each radio is using?

And I have the newest Garmin audio panel. The pilot and copliot can
each talk on different frequencies at the same time.
Old November 22nd 05, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jose wrote:

It has nothing to do with the audio panel. There is a "transmit
interconnect" wire between radios. It doesn't always get installed. I
had to have one retrofitted after completion of my Garmin 430---King
KX-165A installation.

With such an installation, wouldn't each pilot be frustrated while the
other pilot is transmitting, defeating much of the purpose of the split?

No, it works just fine. You can hear a little garbling if you are
talking on close frequencies like 122.75 and 122.8 The Garmin audio
panel does not shut down the receiver of the radio not being transmitted on.
Old November 22nd 05, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Newps wrote:

And I have the newest Garmin audio panel. The pilot and copliot can
each talk on different frequencies at the same time.

We call that *intercom*...

If you have radios on different frequencies and are able to talk to each
other through them, you need new radios because those old ones have
really poor filtering/alignment...
Old November 22nd 05, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote in message
. ..
Newps wrote:

And I have the newest Garmin audio panel. The pilot and copliot can each
talk on different frequencies at the same time.

We call that *intercom*...

If you have radios on different frequencies and are able to talk to each
other through them, you need new radios because those old ones have really
poor filtering/alignment...

He did not say the pilot and co-pilot could talk to each other on different
frequencies. What he meant is the pilot could be talking to Tower while the
co-pilot could be talking to Unicom (or some other combination

Allen

Old November 22nd 05, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

And I have the newest Garmin audio panel. The pilot and copliot can each talk on different frequencies at the same time.

We call that *intercom*...

If you have radios on different frequencies and are able to talk to each other through them, you need new radios because those old ones have really poor filtering/alignment...

"can each talk" is different from "talk to each other"

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old November 22nd 05, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I would never try to tell you anything, Jim. I'd just throw it out in a
trough and listen to you come squealing.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

Old November 22nd 05, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Darrel Toepfer wrote:
Newps wrote:

And I have the newest Garmin audio panel. The pilot and copliot can
each talk on different frequencies at the same time.

We call that *intercom*...

If you have radios on different frequencies and are able to talk to each
other through them, you need new radios because those old ones have
really poor filtering/alignment...

That's not what I said or meant to say. The Garmin audio panel allows
the two pilots to each talk on a separate radio, on different freq's, at
the same time.

RIP Mike Valentine Mal Soaring 0 December 11th 04 08:27 PM
Changes in Instrument Proficiency Check Requirements Richard Kaplan Instrument Flight Rules 71 June 10th 04 08:02 PM
Why not use the F-22 to replace the F/A-18 and F-14? Guy Alcala Military Aviation 265 March 7th 04 09:28 AM
Radio silence, Market Garden and death at Arnhem ArtKramr Military Aviation 4 February 12th 04 12:05 AM
Use of hand-held GPS on FAA check ride Barry Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 9th 03 09:25 PM