Alternate turbine fuel

Old May 31st 04, 03:26 AM
Robert Bates

Default Alternate turbine fuel

Yeah, I know I'm going to get flamed

I have read a lot recently about people burning everything from bio-diesel
and straight french fry grease to used ATF in ground based diesel engines
but what about flying turbines? I am quite sure that they would burn either
at ground level but will these fuels gel at the lower flight levels and
would the FAA have a problem with fuel type in an experimental aircraft?

Old May 31st 04, 03:45 AM
Morgans

"Robert Bates" wrote in message
Yeah, I know I'm going to get flamed

I have read a lot recently about people burning everything from bio-diesel
and straight french fry grease to used ATF in ground based diesel engines
but what about flying turbines? I am quite sure that they would burn

either
at ground level but will these fuels gel at the lower flight levels and
would the FAA have a problem with fuel type in an experimental aircraft?

Gel would not be the worry, but repeatable, consistent runs. What if there
is a chunk of a french fry that got by the filter?

The price of fuel is not the most important factor in owning and running an
airplane. No sane person would risk the plane or his neck, just for burning
a bunch of waste to save money
--
Jim in NC.

---

Old May 31st 04, 06:20 AM
Regnirps

"Robert Bates" wrote in message

Yeah, I know I'm going to get flamed

I have read a lot recently about people burning everything from bio-diesel
and straight french fry grease to used ATF in ground based diesel engines
but what about flying turbines? I am quite sure that they would burn either
at ground level but will these fuels gel at the lower flight levels and
would the FAA have a problem with fuel type in an experimental aircraft?

Deltahawk discusses fuels for their piston aviation diesel. JP5 I think with
some lubricant I suspect to prevent cylinder washout. They mention regular
diesel with altitude/temperature restrictions due to gelling.

-- Charlie Springer
Old June 3rd 04, 11:57 PM
Bill Daniels

"Morgans" wrote in message

[...]

Biodiesel is a refined product and is in every way superior to petroleum
based diesel fuel.

Fuel prices are the single highest cost of OPERATING and aircraft but,
perhaps not the highest for merely OWNING one. Try figuring out how much it
costs in fuel to run an engine to TBO.

Bill Daniels

Old June 4th 04, 12:02 AM
Morgans

"Bill Daniels" wrote

Biodiesel is a refined product and is in every way superior to petroleum
based diesel fuel.

Fuel prices are the single highest cost of OPERATING and aircraft but,
perhaps not the highest for merely OWNING one. Try figuring out how much

it
costs in fuel to run an engine to TBO.

Bill Daniels

What caught my eye, was the french fry grease.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old June 4th 04, 02:24 AM
B2431

"Bill Daniels" wrote

Biodiesel is a refined product and is in every way superior to petroleum
based diesel fuel.

Fuel prices are the single highest cost of OPERATING and aircraft but,
perhaps not the highest for merely OWNING one. Try figuring out how much

it
costs in fuel to run an engine to TBO.

Bill Daniels

What caught my eye, was the french fry grease.
--
Jim in NC

Think vegetable oil, soy, french fry oil etc. Filter it to get the junk out.
Add lye....

Apparently you get more MPG for biodiesel then petrodiesel, cleaner burning
too. The recipies and cheerleaders are available on the WWW.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old June 4th 04, 03:28 AM
Del Rawlins

In B2431 wrote:

Think vegetable oil, soy, french fry oil etc. Filter it to get the
junk out. Add lye....

Apparently you get more MPG for biodiesel then petrodiesel, cleaner
burning too. The recipies and cheerleaders are available on the WWW.

How does biodiesel do as far as lubricity for the fuel system components
compared to petrodiesel?

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old June 4th 04, 05:01 AM
Brian Whatcott

On 4 Jun 2004 02:28:16 GMT, Del Rawlins
wrote:

In B2431 wrote:

Think vegetable oil, soy, french fry oil etc. Filter it to get the
junk out. Add lye....

Apparently you get more MPG for biodiesel then petrodiesel, cleaner
burning too. The recipies and cheerleaders are available on the WWW.

How does biodiesel do as far as lubricity for the fuel system components
compared to petrodiesel?

Del Rawlins-

Castor is a vegetable, isn't it?

Brian W
Old June 4th 04, 07:00 AM
D.W. Taylor

Lubricity is higher, much easier on the injection pump
and other bits. WARNING! it will clean ALL the crud out
of our fuel system. And deposit it in your filter.

Most folks IU've met in person using bio-d have stalled out due
to plugged fuel filters within a week of converting, that being said
these were all old vehicles with 200K miles and more on them
running dino deisel first...

I fully expect used vegi oil to be 30 bucks a barrel by fall.....

Supply and demand don-cha know..

A couple fuel companies in my area actually sell the stuff ready to use.

Itss about 35 cents higher than regular deisel...

Dave

NOte: I am not qualified to have any opinions.....
so this is only as good as my memory...

Old June 4th 04, 02:02 PM
Barnyard BOb -

Think vegetable oil, soy, french fry oil etc. Filter it to get the
junk out. Add lye....

Apparently you get more MPG for biodiesel then petrodiesel, cleaner
burning too. The recipies and cheerleaders are available on the WWW.

How does biodiesel do as far as lubricity for the fuel system components
compared to petrodiesel?

Del Rawlins-

Castor is a vegetable, isn't it?

Brian W

===========================

Sure....
If you are thinking in terms of --
Animal, Vegetable or Mineral.

Howsome ever --
Since castor beans grow on shrubs....
perhaps, you'd like to think of it as a berry...
a very toxic/deadly one.

To further complicate things,
it's not a bean or berry.
It's a SPURGE.

spurge n.

Any of various plants of the genus Euphorbia, characteristically
having milky juice and small unisexual flowers that are surrounded
by a cuplike structure composed of fused bracts.

Further....
http://museum.gov.ns.ca/poison/castor.htm
http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/plant11.htm

Barnyard BOb - catsup is a vegetable

Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Home Built 0 January 26th 04 08:48 AM
Fuel Drip Containment Sven Home Built 28 October 27th 03 11:28 PM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
Pumping fuel backwards through an electric fuel pump Greg Reid Home Built 15 October 7th 03 07:09 PM
Question ~ Does fuel injection add weight? Barnyard BOb -- Home Built 0 July 6th 03 09:47 PM