EADS HC-144 Ocean Sentry pics [2/7] - CASA IPTN CN-235.jpg (1/1)

Old January 9th 20, 04:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default EADS HC-144 Ocean Sentry pics [2/7] - CASA IPTN CN-235.jpg (1/1)

*

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CASA  IPTN CN-235.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	126560
Old January 9th 20, 07:38 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_9_]

Miloch wrote in
:

That much "glass" would worry me. I know
they pack all kinds of info but when they
go out I want some normal gauges to fall
back on.

Old January 9th 20, 08:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default EADS HC-144 Ocean Sentry pics [2/7] - CASA IPTN CN

In article , Mitchell Holman
says...

Miloch wrote in
:

That much "glass" would worry me. I know
they pack all kinds of info but when they
go out I want some normal gauges to fall
back on.

Young pilots nowadays prolly think about gauges as so old fashioned that they
can't imagine having to fly using them.

Took my first flying lessons while still in college in the 60s flying a Cessna
150. Came back from the VietNam War flying UH-1s to Ft Campbell that had a
10,000 foot runway but only four wheezing OH-13s left over from the Korean War
and no assigned fix-wing aircraft!

*

Old January 10th 20, 02:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_9_]

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

That much "glass" would worry me. I know
they pack all kinds of info but when they
go out I want some normal gauges to fall
back on.

Young pilots nowadays prolly think about gauges as so old fashioned
that they can't imagine having to fly using them.

Took my first flying lessons while still in college in the 60s flying
a Cessna 150. Came back from the VietNam War flying UH-1s to Ft
Campbell that had a 10,000 foot runway but only four wheezing OH-13s
left over from the Korean War and no assigned fix-wing aircraft!

I remember reading of an airliner over Canada
that lost all cockpit power, and the pilots fininshed
the flight navigating only with the wet compass.
Old January 10th 20, 04:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

In article , Mitchell Holman
says...

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

That much "glass" would worry me. I know
they pack all kinds of info but when they
go out I want some normal gauges to fall
back on.

Young pilots nowadays prolly think about gauges as so old fashioned
that they can't imagine having to fly using them.

Took my first flying lessons while still in college in the 60s flying
a Cessna 150. Came back from the VietNam War flying UH-1s to Ft
Campbell that had a 10,000 foot runway but only four wheezing OH-13s
left over from the Korean War and no assigned fix-wing aircraft!

I remember reading of an airliner over Canada
that lost all cockpit power, and the pilots fininshed
the flight navigating only with the wet compass.

Part of flight school was instrument flying with the worse part being "partial
panel"...it consists of not only flying wearing a hood to keep you from looking
outside the cockpit but a cardboard panel the instructor put on the instrument
panel that blocked out attitude indicator and heading indicator:

https://www.studyflight.com/instrume...partial-panel/

For whatever reason I kept that little piece of cardboard and after 50 years
still occasionally look at it and remember how much I hated partial panel
flying!!

*

Old January 10th 20, 08:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_9_]

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

In article , Mitchell
Holman says...

Miloch wrote in
:

[...]

My instructor kept a pocketful of these
insidious discs about the size of drink coaster
that he would randomly slap onto a gauge.
"Opps, you just lost your altimeter." "Dang,
there went your turn and bank as well" "And
look, it's just now getting dark, too".