Helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant, 41, and his daughter Gianna, 13, flew through fog despite police GROUNDING their fleet...

Old January 27th 20, 03:39 AM posted to alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default Helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant, 41, and his daughter Gianna, 13, flew through fog despite police GROUNDING their fleet...

....over safety fears as more of the nine victims of the Calabasas crash are
named

more at
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ter-crash.html

*Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna and seven others were killed in the helicopter
crash at around 10am Sunday

*Baseball coach John Altobelli, his wife Keri, daughter Alyssa and basketball
coach Christina Mauser also died

*The private Sikorsky S-76 helicopter caught fire after it struck a hillside in
Calabasas amid heavy fog

*Law enforcement told TMZ even LAPD air support had been grounded due to the bad
weather

*Sources say it was headed to Bryant's Mamba Academy in Thousand Oaks for
basketball practice

*Initial reports claimed five had been killed, but the death toll was later
raised to nine - including the pilot

*The cause of the crash is under investigation and witnesses say they heard the
chopper engine 'sputtering'

*Bryant and Gianna are survived by his wife Vanessa and their three other
daughters Natalia, Bianca and Capri

*He spent his entire 20-year career with the LA Lakers, winning five NBA
championships before retiring in 2016

*News of his death sent shockwaves around the world as dozens of celebrities
paid tribute on social media

The helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant flew through thick fog, despite Los Angeles
police grounding their own fleet, before crashing into a hillside in Calabasas,
California, killing all nine on board on Sunday morning.

The 41-year-old former Lakers basketball star's private Sikorsky S-76
immediately caught fire at around 10am. Bryant died alongside his 13-year-old
daughter Gianna and seven others.

Law enforcement told TMZ even LAPD air support had been grounded due to the bad
weather. Flight data shows the aircraft appeared to get into trouble above the
LA Zoo where it circled at a very low altitude and air traffic control audio
suggests conditions were worsening.

Initial reports claimed five people had been killed, but the death toll was
raised to nine - including the pilot - at a press conference Sunday night. Among
those killed was John Altobelli, a baseball coach at Orange County College, his
wife Keri and daughter Alyssa. Girls basketball coach Christina Mauser was also
killed in crash.

The cause of the crash is under investigation but the control tower at Burbank
Airport was contacted by the pilot shortly before 10am local time. At around
9:40 AM the helicoter turned south, towards a mountainous area, flight tracker
data shows. Five minutes later it hit the hillside at 1700 feet, near the home
of Kourtney Kardashian.

On eyewitness said they 'didn’t hear any anomalies with the engine'. Scott
Daehlin, who was the first to contact officials about the crash, told People:
'It seemed to be running fine.' He said he believes 'visibility' was at fault.

Bryant, the 18-time NBA All-Star was said to have been headed to Mamba Academy -
which he founded - in Thousand Oaks for basketball practice.

Officials with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department responded to the
scene near Las Virgenes Rd and Willow Glen St in Calabasas after a group of
mountain bikers spotted the smoke.

A flight plan indicated the helicopter, reportedly registered to Island Express
Holding Corp., took off from John Wayne Airport in Orange County at 9.06am PST
and the last signal was received from the aircraft at 9.45am. It was expected to
land at San Gabriel Valley Airport in El Monte.

Those living nearby the crash scene said they heard what sounded like a
low-flying airplane or helicopter. Colin Storm said: 'It was very foggy so we
couldn't see anything. But then we heard some sputtering, and then a boom.'

Calabasas resident Matt Graham told People: 'I was sitting on my couch when I
heard it go over our roof. I thought to myself, ‘Wow they’re flying really low
today.’ It must’ve been about 100 feet above our roof by the way the house was
shaking. I couldn’t imagine why a helicopter was flying so low.'

Firefighters hiked in with medical equipment and hoses, and medical personnel
rappelled to the site from a helicopter, but found no survivors, Los Angeles
County Fire Chief Daryl Osby said.

Kobe and Gianna are survived by his wife Vanessa and their three other daughters
- Natalia, Bianca and Capri, who was born last summer.

A heartbreaking video of the deceased father-daughter duo attending a basketball
game between the Atlanta Hawks and the Brooklyn Nets on December 21 resurfaced
soon after the crash.

Bryant appears to be teaching Gianna - a budding basketball star herself - a
thing or two about the game while sitting courtside at the Barclays Center in
Brooklyn, New York.

Gianna frequently shared photos of herself on the court on social media.

The father and daughter were said to be heading to the Mamba Cup Tournament
Series, held for teams from the third to eighth grades. Bryant coached Gianna’s
team. All the games were canceled after the news of their deaths became public.

In final images of the pair taken Saturday Kobe watches Gianna play, appearing
to coach her at points.

*

Old January 27th 20, 03:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default Helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant, 41, and his daughter Gianna, 13, flew through fog despite police GROUNDING their fleet... [1/6] - Bryant_was_believed_to_be_flying_in_the_Sikorsky_S _76_helicopter-a-54.jpg (1/1)

In article , Miloch says...

...over safety fears as more of the nine victims of the Calabasas crash are
named

more at
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ter-crash.html

images...

*

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bryant_was_believed_to_be_flying_in_the_Sikorsky_S_76_helicopter-a-54.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	127125
Old January 27th 20, 03:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default Helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant, 41, and his daughter Gianna, 13, flew through fog despite police GROUNDING their fleet... [2/6] - flight data.jpg (1/1)

In article , Miloch says...

...over safety fears as more of the nine victims of the Calabasas crash are
named

more at
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ter-crash.html

images...

*

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flight data.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	127127
Old January 27th 20, 03:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default Helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant, 41, and his daughter Gianna, 13, flew through fog despite police GROUNDING their fleet... [3/6] - flight path.jpg (1/1)

In article , Miloch says...

...over safety fears as more of the nine victims of the Calabasas crash are
named

more at
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ter-crash.html

images...

*

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flight path.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	127126
Old January 27th 20, 03:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default Helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant, 41, and his daughter Gianna, 13, flew through fog despite police GROUNDING their fleet... [4/6] - flight_plan_indicated_the_helicopter_took_off_from _John_Wayne_-a-65.jpg (1/1)

In article , Miloch says...

...over safety fears as more of the nine victims of the Calabasas crash are
named

more at
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ter-crash.html

images...

*

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flight_plan_indicated_the_helicopter_took_off_from_John_Wayne_-a-65.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	127130
Old January 27th 20, 03:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default Helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant, 41, and his daughter Gianna, 13, flew through fog despite police GROUNDING their fleet... [5/6] - kobe crash images 2.jpg (1/1)

In article , Miloch says...

...over safety fears as more of the nine victims of the Calabasas crash are
named

more at
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ter-crash.html

images...

*

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobe crash images 2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	127128
Old January 27th 20, 03:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default Helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant, 41, and his daughter Gianna, 13, flew through fog despite police GROUNDING their fleet... [6/6] - kobe crash images.jpg (1/1)

In article , Miloch says...

...over safety fears as more of the nine victims of the Calabasas crash are
named

more at
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ter-crash.html

images...

*

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobe crash images.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	127129
Old January 27th 20, 01:49 PM posted to alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_9_]

Miloch wrote in
:

...over safety fears as more of the nine victims of the Calabasas
crash are named

more at
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ant-dies-Calab
asas-helicopter-crash.html

*Kobe Bryant, his daughter Gianna and seven others were killed in the
helicopter crash at around 10am Sunday

*Baseball coach John Altobelli, his wife Keri, daughter Alyssa and
basketball coach Christina Mauser also died

*The private Sikorsky S-76 helicopter caught fire after it struck a
hillside in Calabasas amid heavy fog

Stevie Ray Vaughn was also killed in
a helicopter flying in fog.

Old January 28th 20, 01:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

In article , DAN says...

Miloch wrote:

The helicopter carrying Kobe Bryant flew through thick fog, despite Los Angeles
police grounding their own fleet, before crashing into a hillside in Calabasas,

At least they didn't kill anyone on the ground.
And they won't do it again.

....from
https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/27/kobe-...ain-slow-down/

...."The pilot was following a visual flight plan and was cleared by the tower to
proceed north, toward Thousand Oaks where Kobe was taking his daughter for a
basketball game. When he got to the Calabasas area, the fog became blinding.

As we reported, the pilot was way too low -- at 1,250 feet. The pilots we spoke
with say it's clear based on the abrupt change on the flight tracker ... the
pilot panicked and quickly ascended to 2,000 feet. We're told he cleared a
mountain range by 100 feet, and the pilots we spoke with say he was so low he
almost certainly saw the tops of the mountain.

The pilots we spoke with -- all of whom have extensive experience -- say based
on the flight tracker and the accident scene, they believe the pilot felt he had
cleared all of the mountains and was proceeding to head back when he hit another
mountain. The pilot clearly did not know there were mountains ahead because he
actually descended from 2,000 feet to 1,700 feet ... presumably to go under the
fog.

Even more baffling, we've been told the pilot was extremely experienced flying
in that area -- and was even a flight instructor. One seasoned helicopter pilot
told TMZ, he could not understand why Kobe's pilot would have maintained a speed
of 161 knots in such dense fog. One of the benefits of a helicopter is you can
go much slower -- even 15 mph -- to gingerly avoid terrain if you're uncertain.

Our sources say the chopper was sophisticated and had an altitude warning signal
to pull up, but it was too late. As we said, he was doing 161 knots and didn't
slow down. The helicopter hit the mountain at that speed.

Several of the pilots we spoke with say the pilot should have gone up to clear
the fog, rather than down. To that end, we're told the pilot could have slowed
down to almost a stop as he turned, but didn't.

*