1956 Valiant crash at Southwick, UK

Old July 19th 03, 09:03 PM
Nick Pedley

Default 1956 Valiant crash at Southwick, UK

"Chris McBrien" wrote in message
om...
On Friday the 11th May 1956 at 1315 hours a Valiant 'V' Bomber number
WP202 crashed into a railway embankment in Southwick, West Sussex. The
cause was put as a rudder lock. The pilot, Sqn/Ldr. K. Orman, tried to
put the a/c down in Southwick Recreation ground as it was the only
wide open space around. The a/c disintegrated when it hit the
embankment.

I've only been able to find the odd newspaper cutting from the Times
Index in my local library. Has anyone any deeper information. This
crash was only a mile or so from my Primary School. I was 12 at the
time.

Regards Chris McBrien (687410)

Have you considered the Air Accident Investigation Board or whatever they
were called back then? There must have been a report into the crash at the
time.
The MOD or the Public Records Office might help with that.

Nick

Old July 20th 03, 06:48 PM
DunxC

I can confirm that there is a very nice accident report on this aircraft at the
PRO - looked through it briefly whilst searching for other stuff. Contains some
nice photos too.

Duncan
Old July 21st 03, 08:25 AM
Andy L

"DunxC" wrote in message
I can confirm that there is a very nice accident report on this aircraft

at the
PRO - looked through it briefly whilst searching for other stuff. Contains

some
nice photos too.

Duncan

Go to http://catalogue.pro.gov.uk

Click 'search the catalogue'

Search on phrase: valiant AND WP202

You will be rewarded with the Board of Trade file reference.

You can go to Kew to view it or have a copy made - but at 40p per photocopy
it can get expensive.

Andy L

Old July 21st 03, 08:05 PM
Chris McBrien

"Andy L" wrote in message ...
"DunxC" wrote in message
I can confirm that there is a very nice accident report on this aircraft

at the
PRO - looked through it briefly whilst searching for other stuff. Contains

some
nice photos too.

Duncan

Go to http://catalogue.pro.gov.uk

Click 'search the catalogue'

Search on phrase: valiant AND WP202

You will be rewarded with the Board of Trade file reference.

Andy,
if I'd known it was that simple I'd have gone there before. They
only releaved me of seven weeks of a 1961 Apprentices pay.

When using the search engine make sure that you enter the word
AND in uppercase, as it says.

Chris. 687410
You can go to Kew to view it or have a copy made - but at 40p per photocopy
it can get expensive.

Andy L

Homebuilt Airplane Crash Harry O Home Built 1 November 15th 04 03:40 AM
Crash Big John Home Built 0 September 12th 04 03:48 AM
Homemade plane crash Big John Home Built 9 October 17th 03 06:45 PM