flying to New York City

Old June 6th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default flying to New York City

Hi all. I'd appreciate any thoughts on which is the best airport to
land at in a single if flying in to visit Manhattan and parking up for
2 nights. Which airport provides the best combination of affordable
parking and affordable but swift access to Manhattan?

Teterboro seems expensive but a bit closer than White Plains. Does TEB
save you any time or not really?

How about LDJ? I tried to call the FBO for information but can't get
through.

Thanks for the help,

Tom

Old June 7th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JB

On Jun 6, 4:26 pm, wrote:
Hi all. I'd appreciate any thoughts on which is the best airport to
land at in a single if flying in to visit Manhattan and parking up for
2 nights. Which airport provides the best combination of affordable
parking and affordable but swift access to Manhattan?

Teterboro seems expensive but a bit closer than White Plains. Does TEB
save you any time or not really?

How about LDJ? I tried to call the FBO for information but can't get
through.

Thanks for the help,

Tom

This question has been asked (and answered) a few times recently. Do
a search in this group. The bottom line...stay away from TEB or you
might need an ambulance with heart attack gear when you get the bill.
It is the closest to Manhattan (a quick 20 min bus ride to Port
Authority). But there are fees on top of fees for everything. The
general consensus seems to be HPN as #1, followed by either LDJ or
CDW. All 3 are further away, but cheaper and nicer to us little guys.

--Jeff

Old June 7th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Jun 6, 7:03 pm, JB wrote:

The bottom line...stay away from TEB or you
might need an ambulance with heart attack gear when you get the bill.
It is the closest to Manhattan (a quick 20 min bus ride to Port
Authority). But there are fees on top of fees for everything. The
general consensus seems to be HPN as #1, followed by either LDJ or
CDW. All 3 are further away, but cheaper and nicer to us little guys.

X2. We fly into TEB all summer long in the Pilatus and you wouldn't
believe what Jet Aviation charges us for a ramp fee. If you go White
Plains (HPN) parking at Westair or Panorama are the only choices.

Old June 7th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thanks. Sounds like it's between HPN and LDJ as to which is the best
option for me. Does anyone who flies into LDJ have any guidance on the
local approach procedures? Do you just stay clear of the Class B, or
do you get a clearance from Newark?

Old June 8th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

In article .com,
wrote:

Thanks. Sounds like it's between HPN and LDJ as to which is the best
option for me. Does anyone who flies into LDJ have any guidance on the
local approach procedures? Do you just stay clear of the Class B, or
do you get a clearance from Newark?

I don't fly into LDJ too often, but the times that I have, it's been a
piece of cake. Call up NY Approach and get a Class Bravo clearance. At
some point, they'll hand you off to Newark Tower who will vector you until
you have LDJ in sight. The field is a little hard to spot in the urban
ground clutter. It really helps to have a GPS.

If you're coming from the north, don't be surprised if they vector you
right over the numbers of Newark's 4L & 4R at about 1000 feet at right
angles to the traffic flow. It sounds weird, but it's actually the most
out of the way place they can put you; you're above both the landing and
departing traffic. If he says "fly over the numbers", do exactly that, not
vaguely in the vicinity of the end of the runway.

On the way out, I call Newark Tower from the runnup pad, tell them I'm
departing LDJ and request a Class Bravo clearance. They'll usually give
you a squawk and tell you to remain clear of the Class Bravo at or below
800 and give them a call once you're in the air. You'll get your actual
clearance once they establish radar contact.
Old June 8th 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Sounds like it's between HPN and LDJ as to which is the best
option for me.

Don't leave the Long Island airports out. They have the advantage of
being close(r) to light rail into Manhattan.

Jose
--
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those that just want to
know what button to push, and those that want to know what happens when

Old June 9th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Frank Ch. Eigler

David Kazdan writes:

Danbury, Connecticut has a nice airport near a rail link to the city.

Yeah, there are smaller airports available. But consider accounting
for your own time when comparing costs of alternatives. Sure, landing
at KTEB, KEWR, or KLGA may take 20-200 bucks to park, but you get to
Manhattan in half an hour.

- FChE