#1 Piston Fighter was British

Old June 30th 03, 08:04 PM
Kevin Brooks

Default #1 Piston Fighter was British

(ArtKramr) wrote in message ...
Subject: #1 Piston Fighter was British
From:
(The Revolution Will Not Be Televised)
Date: 6/30/03 7:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time

ir enough. Now jus take the P-51 out of the mix as though it never existed
and see what you end up with.

Look at what happened before it showed up. There was more going on
than just the Mustang.

Gavin Bailey

-

LIke what? The war actually began on D-Day. Everythig before that was a long
list of trivial attacks like Dieppe that mostly failed.

Arthur Kramer

I can't wait to hear the result of your trying to make such an
outlandish claim to a veteran who had been slogging his way along in
Italy, or who had fought with Eigth Army (BR) in North Africa, when
you try to dump that particular load of fecal matter on him. No to
mention the odd Russian who had already started slogging his way
towards Berlin before we managed to pull off the Normandy landings.
And how about those 8th AF types who were already seeing friends dying
in droves *before* D-Day? Any natural teeth you may still enjoy the
company of will likely be a brief memory should you feel a burning
desire to share such drivel with any of the above.

This reprehensible statement rivals your past mealymouthed mutterings
in regards to how those who served during WWII without seeing combat
in the air over Europe somhow don't meet up to your own high standards
of honorable conduct, how officers are much smarter than enlisted men,
groundcrews did not experience war, etc. Stick to talking about that
small, finite element of the war about which you may have a clue (B-26
air operations in Europe); everytime you meander from that topic you
further reveal how increasingly imbecilic you really are.

Brooks
Old June 30th 03, 08:56 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"ArtKramr" wrote in message

I have none, all I know about it came from reading.

Yeah. It shows.

One cannot learn from reading?

Old June 30th 03, 09:39 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , ArtKramr
writes
Tell us about your good old days with the Africa Corps and the greatness of
Hitler.

One grandfather got a free tour of North Africa, keeping RAF aircraft
flying: probably not wise to tell him the war hadn't started at that
point. It was a pretty real war to him and the men around him.

(Another started the war a couple of days before the UK, but then he was
a pilot with the Polish Air Force. You _definitely_ wouldn't have wanted
to tell him there wasn't really a war on...)

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill

Paul J. Adam
Old June 30th 03, 09:50 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message

One grandfather got a free tour of North Africa, keeping RAF aircraft
flying: probably not wise to tell him the war hadn't started at that
point. It was a pretty real war to him and the men around him.

(Another started the war a couple of days before the UK, but then he was
a pilot with the Polish Air Force. You _definitely_ wouldn't have wanted
to tell him there wasn't really a war on...)

To know war one must serve as a B-26 bombardier. I'm sorry, but your
grandfathers just aren't qualified.

Old June 30th 03, 09:53 PM
Peter Twydell

In article , ArtKramr
writes
From: (The Revolution Will Not Be Televised)
Date: 6/30/03 7:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time

ir enough. Now jus take the P-51 out of the mix as though it never existed
and see what you end up with.

Look at what happened before it showed up. There was more going on
than just the Mustang.

Gavin Bailey

-

LIke what? The war actually began on D-Day. Everythig before that was a long
list of trivial attacks like Dieppe that mostly failed.

Art, you can be a moronic old ******* sometimes.

My father was 35 years old when war broke out, and as he was a member of
the Territorial Army, was called up immediately. He was heavily involved
in the ack-ack organisation in Essex, a part of the world with which you
are familiar, right from the very start. The Battle of Britain was
fought right over his home.
He was posted to North Africa in 1942 as part of the Allied (that means
the British were there as well as the Americans) invasion force. He left
behind a pregnant wife, who gave birth to a premature baby at about the
time he was landing as part of Operation Torch. The baby died after 3
days, and my mother never really got over it. He also left behind a two-
year-old daughter. He spent the next 3 years as a REME officer
supporting the efforts and sacrifices of front-line troops, and only
came home some time after VE Day.

So don't give me that egotistical crap about "the war only started on D-
Day". You, and he, were only small cogs in a vast machine.

Dad never liked Americans, and sometimes I can see why.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Old June 30th 03, 10:56 PM
Cub Driver

Look at what happened before it showed up. There was more going on
than just the Mustang.

What happened before the (extended-range) Mustang showed up? Well, the
German air force was shooting down so many B-17s and B-24s that it
looked possible that the 8th Air Force would have to give up
deep-penetration daylight raids into Germany, to the huge benefit of
Albert Speer and the German war effort.

all the best -- Dan Ford (email: info AT danford.net)

see the Warbird's Forum at http://www.danford.net/index.htm
Vietnam | Flying Tigers | Pacific War | Brewster Buffalo | Piper Cub
Old June 30th 03, 10:59 PM
Cub Driver

Marauders at low-medium altitude
destroyed the beach defenses on their alloted targets.

One beach. Utah. There were other factors involved, but yes, the
American army suffered exactly 12 men killed in the initial landing at
Utah, and that was in part thanks to the Marauders operating at very
low level. Some said 500 feet, which is considerably below the pattern
altitude at the local airport.