Some views of my AvMap EKP-IV

Old August 29th 04, 11:13 PM
Jay Masino

Default Some views of my AvMap EKP-IV

Anybody who's interested in how the new AvMap EKP-IV looks when mounted on
a Cherokee yoke, feel free to look at:
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/private/panel1.JPG
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/private/panel2.JPG
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/private/panel3.JPG

I can't say that I'm exactly over joyed with it's software design, but
it's probably just a matter of getting use to it (after many years behind
a Garmin). One small problem that I notice is that, either the high
resolution screen or the embedded processor, is causing some high pitched
noise on my com radios. Not enough to break the squelch, but if a distant
aircraft with a weak signal breaks my squelch, the AvMap noise become
apparent. Not sure if I can put up with that or not. I may try to loop
the com radio's coax through a toroid a few times, or fabricating a
grounded aluminum "cradle" between the unit and the yolke mount, in an
attempt to shield my radios. I'm not really sure if that'll help or not.

I'm also finding that a large high resolution display leave one open to
information overload. I haven't quite tweaked all the display options,
for different zoom levels, to my liking yet. The AvMap also insists on
drawing a course line to your GoTo waypoint, and you can't seem to turn
that function off. It's a great feature if you're going on a trip, but if
you're just up flying around boring holes in the sky, you end up with a
black line drawn across your screen that has no useful purpose.

---Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old August 30th 04, 12:20 AM
john smith

Flown it at night yet?
How bright is it at minimum setting?

Old August 30th 04, 01:13 AM
Hankal

Flown it at night yet?
How bright is it at minimum setting?

I find it very pleasing to the eyes.
However my unit is mounted on a rail mount.
Hank 172 driver
Old August 30th 04, 01:17 AM
Jay Masino

john smith wrote:
Flown it at night yet?
How bright is it at minimum setting?

No, I haven't, but you can lower the brightness to near darkness, so I'm
sure you can adjust it to your liking.

--
__!__
Old August 30th 04, 02:21 AM
David Herman

I too picked one up about two weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to do
anything but short local flights with it yet. I'm gonna try for a lengthy
cross-country tomorrow (weather permitting) and will post my impressions
tomorrow night after wringing it out a bit.

--
David Herman
N6170T 1965 Cessna 150E

Old August 30th 04, 02:59 AM
Jeremy Lew

"Jay Masino" wrote in message
Anybody who's interested in how the new AvMap EKP-IV looks when mounted on
a Cherokee yoke, feel free to look at:
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/private/panel1.JPG
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/private/panel2.JPG
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/private/panel3.JPG

Do you use the timer on the panel behind it? It looks to be completely
obscured by the AvMap. That would be the AI in my plane.

Old August 30th 04, 08:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

thanks for the report.

Really like your temp indicator, which should be able to measure both
OAT and inside temperature ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 30th 04, 11:56 AM
Jay Masino

Jeremy Lew wrote:
Do you use the timer on the panel behind it? It looks to be completely
obscured by the AvMap. That would be the AI in my plane.

Rarely, but the times I have (when it was "blocked" by my GPSMAP 195) it
was actually rather simple to look around the GPS. When you're in flight,
the yoke, and the GPS, are actually a little closer to you.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Old August 30th 04, 12:56 PM
Jay Honeck

Anybody who's interested in how the new AvMap EKP-IV looks when mounted on
a Cherokee yoke, feel free to look at:

Sweet. I like the slightly smaller footprint.

One small problem that I notice is that, either the high
resolution screen or the embedded processor, is causing some high pitched
noise on my com radios.

I've never noticed anything like that. We've got the antenna wire running
down the yoke shaft, under the panel, to the left, and then up to the top of
the panel. I've zip-tied everything neatly underneath, so there are almost
no wires visible, and no interference has been noted.

Does the pitch change as you adjust the brightness?

I'm also finding that a large high resolution display leave one open to
information overload. I haven't quite tweaked all the display options,
for different zoom levels, to my liking yet. The AvMap also insists on

Yeah, there's a LOT of information presented. Not only will you get used
to it, you will soon be unwilling to fly without it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 30th 04, 01:33 PM
Jay Masino

Jay Honeck wrote:
One small problem that I notice is that, either the high
resolution screen or the embedded processor, is causing some high pitched
noise on my com radios.

I've never noticed anything like that. We've got the antenna wire running
down the yoke shaft, under the panel, to the left, and then up to the top of
the panel. I've zip-tied everything neatly underneath, so there are almost
no wires visible, and no interference has been noted.

Yea. I tiewrapped everything out of sight, too. I don't think it's the
antenna that's the problem. Plus, the increased resolution and processor
speed of this new unit has the potential of generating additional high
frequency harmonics (as compared to the EKP-IIIc).

Does the pitch change as you adjust the brightness?

I believe the brightness effects it a little. It's probably not a big
deal. Like I said, it doesn't break the squelch and only seems to effect
already weak incomming signals.

Yeah, there's a LOT of information presented. Not only will you get used
to it, you will soon be unwilling to fly without it.

I doubt that. I was gonna sell my GPSMAP 195 right away, but I'm going
to hold onto it for a while, just in case I want to go back to it.

--
__!__

AvMap EKP IV Almarz General Aviation 2 November 29th 04 01:14 AM
AvMap EKP-IV Dale Schmitz Home Built 1 November 25th 04 05:23 PM
FS: AvMap EKP-IV GPS Jay Masino Aviation Marketplace 11 November 15th 04 12:01 PM
Lowrance 2000C vs. AvMap -- comments appreciated Thomas Borchert Home Built 7 August 13th 04 03:00 PM
AvMap rail mounts Hankal Instrument Flight Rules 0 June 10th 04 01:25 AM