AvMap EKP-IV portable GPS - any impressions?

Old August 16th 04, 02:05 PM
Jay Honeck

Since the unit has no rechargeable batteries there seems to be no battery
charger, only a "Power Cable (with cigarette lighter adapter)", obivously
for in-flight usage.

The new model IV does have rechargeable batteries on board.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 17th 04, 06:48 AM
Kai Glaesner

Jay, Thomas,

The new model IV does have rechargeable batteries on board.

But they are not mentioned in the manual, nor is a charger mentioned on the
packing list. Anyway, I'm more interested in whether it's possible to use a
US-bought unit with european nav data.

Or does someone know a good source for AvMap IV's in europe (apart from the
french internet store at http://www.bayo.fr that tries to sell them for
1795,00 EUR ;-)?

Best Regards

Kai

Old August 17th 04, 08:29 AM
Thomas Borchert

Kai,

Anyway, I'm more interested in whether it's possible to use a
US-bought unit with european nav data.

well, did you ask the company? Did you get an answer? If not, does that
have you worried?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 17th 04, 03:48 PM
Kai Glaesner

Thomas,

well, did you ask the company? [...]

Yes, I did.

[...] Did you get an answer? If not, does that have you worried?

Regarding my question about european data they asked me to contact their
italian office but mentioned, that these guy are on vacation right now.
Bella Italia ;-)

Regards

Kai

Old August 19th 04, 02:12 AM
Jay Masino

bangbang wrote:
snip
Consumer. The new EPK-IV, apparently just introduced at Oshkosh,
sounds even better - but alas I wasn't able to make the trip there to
ogle it myself.
Any input on these gizmos is welcome.

I just got mine, tonight. It seems pretty neat, although it has it's
quirks to get use to if you're use to another GPS. It's a lot like
looking at a little laptop. My eyes are already feeling sore from trying
to look at every detail. I had to immediately start playing with the
decluttering setup. It also came with the brightness and contrast set to
maximum, so I lowered that. I was surprised that I might actually prefer
the landscape mode better. It'll really depend on how it fits on the
yoke. C-map doesn't have the "back plate" (that'll allow use of a RAM
mount) ready yet. They said it'll be out within the month. I guess I'll
use it as a lapboard, temporarily. It's weird. The curved backplate that
conforms to your leg obviously comes off, but the don't mention how to do
that anywhere in the instructions (and I'm not prying on it). In fact,
their instruction manual tends to be a little lacking with respect to any
of the mechanical aspects of the assembly. They don't have any
documentation on available accessories, either.

Anyway, I won't be able to fly with it for a few days because my mechanic
and I are doing the annual over the next few days. I might be able to fly
with it this weekend.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old August 19th 04, 07:58 PM
Hankal

The curved backplate that
conforms to your leg obviously comes off, but the don't mention how to do
that anywhere in the instructions (and I'm not prying on it). In fact,
their instruction manual tends to be a little lacking with respect to any
of the mechanical aspects of the

They do have an 800 number and will be happy to explain it to you.
I have been using a rail mount in my C172.
Very happy with it.
Hank
Old August 19th 04, 09:10 PM
Jay Honeck

I just got mine, tonight.

Cool!

I look forward to a detailed and brutally honest PIREP.

Just don't make it sound TOO cool, though, or I'll have to sell my III-C on
Ebay and upgrade!

;-)
--
Jay Honeck