Trial by newspaper

Old December 14th 05, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Default Trial by newspaper

It's nice to have the quotes, but if the reply is something I'm
interested in and it's missing a quote, I'll manually go back and look
at the thread to see what it's replying to. Very often a reply stands
(or falls) on its own, and I'll just let it.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old December 14th 05, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

When Andrew's post came across at 9:49 it was one line only with no
attached threads.

I use Netscape 7.2 on W-2000.

-------------
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

Mark Hansen wrote:
On 12/14/2005 08:13, Dudley Henriques wrote:

I'm using Outlook Express 6.0 and every thread on every newsgroup I'm
using is showing normally, including your post which shows a pickup
reference properly.
Andrew's post shows up with a blank screen and a single sentence with
no pickup reference.
If you are seeing a pickup reference, the problem might be somewhere
other than my news reader.
There is one anomaly however. The OP has cross posted to "owning" as
well as "piloting". I'm answering to "piloting" only, and have
defaulted through "owning" as the other group won't rectify. Perhaps
that is the issue.
Dudley Henriques

Strange. I'm looking at the thread posted to both owning and piloting, and
in both cases, the entire thread is there. I'm using Mozilla 1.7.5 on a
Windows platform (Windows/2000 Professional).

Old December 14th 05, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

"Dudley Henriques" writes:
No biggie for sure :-), but when I hit reply on Andrew's message, the
reference shows normally as below;

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
ups.com...

Try and explain that to the parents of the boy who got killed.

but when simply pulled up in the thread, just the sentence.

Interesting!! Just one of those unexplained mysteries that must drive Bill
Gates nuts from time to time :-)))

Ahhh. I think the issue is that you have two different definitions of
"thread".

In my newsreader (and in most threaded newsreaders), you can see who
replied to each message by the layout of the messages in the summary
view. So in this thread, my summary view looks like this:

R [ 9: Paul kgyy ] Trial by newspaper
R [ 35: Dudley Henriques ]
R [ 3: Andrew Sarangan ]
R [ 14: Dudley Henriques ]
R [ 27: Mark Hansen ]
R [ 43: Dudley Henriques ]
R [ 22: Mark Hansen ]
R [ 42: Dudley Henriques ]
R [ 16: Montblack ]

See how you can tell from the indentation that Paul sent a message,
then Dudley and Andrew replied to it, then Dudley repsonded to
Andrew's message, etc. Your posting software will put a "references"
header in your posting so that other newsreaders can figure out this
threading.

In addition to seeing these "threads", some of the posters choose to
quote from earlier messages, as I have quoted from Dudley's message
above. I think this quoting is what Dudley is calling a "thread".

Dudley: from your description, it sounds like Outlook either does not
have threading, or you do not have that feature enabled.

In any case, on usenet it is often considered polite to quote from
nothing to do with the fact that some of us use non-threaded
newsreaders---instead, it is because it takes time for messages to be
sent between computers. Depending on where you are reading from, the
messages in a newsgroup may arrive in a different order. Without a
little quote to put a message in context, this can cause confusion.

Chris
--
Chris Colohan Email: PGP: finger
Web:
Old December 14th 05, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

I start with a clean slate a couple of times a day. If a post pops up
without supporting references, I'm left guessing ------ RMG!! :-)

("Mark Hansen" wrote)
Why is that better? Are you trying to save disk space?

You're not going to start changing my computer around now, like a certain
innkeeper did over Thanksgiving, are you? g ...new messages go to the
BOTTOM!

I don't like a cluttered tree of read posts and unread posts. Too
overwhelming - searching for a better word.

I delete all of the posts in a newsgroup, at one time, then plow through the
next batch when I pull them up. I do this a couple of times per day. I read
more posts this way - the other way, I look at the intermixed thread-tree
mess and say "screw it," as often as not.

Newsgroup/Properties/Local Files/Delete

Montblack

Old December 14th 05, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

On 12/14/2005 09:57, Montblack wrote:

I start with a clean slate a couple of times a day. If a post pops up
without supporting references, I'm left guessing ------ RMG!! :-)

("Mark Hansen" wrote)
Why is that better? Are you trying to save disk space?

You're not going to start changing my computer around now, like a certain
innkeeper did over Thanksgiving, are you? g ...new messages go to the
BOTTOM!

I don't like a cluttered tree of read posts and unread posts. Too
overwhelming - searching for a better word.

I delete all of the posts in a newsgroup, at one time, then plow through the
next batch when I pull them up. I do this a couple of times per day. I read
more posts this way - the other way, I look at the intermixed thread-tree
mess and say "screw it," as often as not.

Newsgroup/Properties/Local Files/Delete

In my news reader (Mozilla 1.7.5), I simply configure the news group
with View - Threads - Threads with unread, and it only shows those
threads with unread messages. This cuts way down on the clutter and
still allows me to see the thread history for any posting.

Montblack

Sacramento, CA
Old December 14th 05, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

I feel sorry for the SW pilots who went through the fence at Midway
last week. Now every edition of the local newspapers runs articles by
lawyers and journalists second-guessing every decision made on a
difficult approach - quartering tail wind, marginal visibility, fair
braking, short runway.
I'd sure hate to have my every flying decision subjected to this kind
of scrutiny.

We all would. Given the circumstances (little boy killed, worst storm in
recent years, etc.), the scruitny is warranted, in my opinion.

What bothers me is the lack of accuracy in the reporting. Just today the
Chicago media discovered that there is a 696 feet displaced threshold on 31C
and that their previous reporting of a 6,522 feet runway was incorrect.

Ultimately though, it's only the kids lawyers and retired pilots who are
doing the talking to the media, thus the news coverage will slant that way
until the NTSB releases its report.

Charles Oppermann
http://www.coppersoftware.com/

Southwest Airlines flight 1248 accident articles:
http://spaces.msn.com/members/chuckop/

Old December 14th 05, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Dudley

I was responding to the original post by Paul. I am sorry if it came
off as 'nailing' anyone. I totally agree with your sentiments about
lawyers trying to turn tragedy into income. However, the victim in
question was not an airline passenger or even a pedestrian at the
airport property. I did not suggest that the victims parents should sue
SWA. However, for their peace of mind, they do deserve an answer as to
why this freak accident happened.

Old December 14th 05, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Dudley, they will get an answer when the NTSB releases the
report. Until then, the discussion here is just to get
pilots of all types, thinking about what and how to avoid it
happening again before the NTSB releases a and the FAA and
airline amend their regulations and procedures [that will
take years longer].

On the subject of your posts, you can set your newsreader to
include the message you're replying to, in Outlook Express
on the Send tab (Tools/Options) Include Message in Reply...

You can edit this, but still include enough useful info,
such as name and context of the message...

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

oups.com...

Old December 14th 05, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I feel sorry for the SW pilots who went through the fence at Midway
last week. Now every edition of the local newspapers runs articles by
lawyers and journalists second-guessing every decision made on a
difficult approach - quartering tail wind, marginal visibility, fair
braking, short runway.

I'd sure hate to have my every flying decision subjected to this kind
of scrutiny.

So trial by newgroup is any better?

Old December 14th 05, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Certainly an examination of the event is warranted. The accident did
happen. But newspapers and lawyers tend to assess blame long before
the real cause is known and seldom get facts correct.

Trial by newspaper Paul kgyy Piloting 68 December 18th 05 02:11 AM
Air Force Spy Trial to Proceed Despite Modified Evidence Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 13th 04 01:31 AM
Stars and Stripes Offers Free Electronic Newspaper, By Sgt. 1st Class Doug Sample, USA Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 April 30th 04 09:45 PM
Stars and Stripes Offers Free Electronic Newspaper, By Sgt. 1st Class Doug Sample, USA Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 April 30th 04 09:45 PM
Trial Of Woman Accused Of Killing Military Husband Postponed Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 January 24th 04 12:05 AM