A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » General Aviation
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Anyone know what happened to Sky Life Flying Camp?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 5th 12, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Anyone know what happened to Sky Life Flying Camp?

I worked at sky life for a summer of 1986 or 1987. I worked the hobby shop and also co-taught Sailing with Bud (I think that was his name). I do remember that we had a Rhodes 17 sailboat for us while the campers used 2 man "tub" sailboats (all blue with one that was light blue). The most enjoyable time for me was on the sailboats each day.

With this said, that place in retrospect was more than creepy as a staffer. There was some sort of "secret society" of key staffers, and I think some of Lee Barns actions were completely inappropriate to todays camp standards with how he managed staff and attendees. I was glad to get out of there.
Ads
  #2  
Old December 16th 12, 08:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Anyone know what happened to Sky Life Flying Camp?

I was a member of Sky Life Flying Club in the early 70s. I hung out at the house in Mt Kisko & went to the Northville camp in '70 &'71. We lived in tents in a field north of the runway. Bud Wright was there with his sailboat and I still remember a lot of the guys, and the airplanes too. I had some fun with that group, but there was a dark undercurrent. I always suspected something ugly behind the scenes. I was too young to solo back then, flew 30 hours with them. Eventually I got rated. I'm interested in reconnecting with anyone from my time frame. -SS-
  #3  
Old February 18th 13, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Anyone know what happened to Sky Life Flying Camp?

On Sunday, December 16, 2012 3:50:38 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I was a member of Sky Life Flying Club in the early 70s. I hung out at the house in Mt Kisko & went to the Northville camp in '70 &'71. We lived in tents in a field north of the runway. Bud Wright was there with his sailboat and I still remember a lot of the guys, and the airplanes too. I had some fun with that group, but there was a dark undercurrent. I always suspected something ugly behind the scenes. I was too young to solo back then, flew 30 hours with them. Eventually I got rated. I'm interested in reconnecting with anyone from my time frame. -SS-


I joined around 1968. At that time the club was based out of White Plains Airport at International. I was only 13 and just started taking lessons in his Cessna 150 N--90X . He just started the camp in Northville. I remembered just being tents back then. He had a Cessna 206 which my father bought from him. I ended up getting my private on my 17th bithday out of Quades flying school in Orange county NY, that was near where I went to school ( but lived in Valhalla, NY ) I remember a Dan McGlocklin ?? He was the person on all the flyers for the camp/school. He soloed at 16, got his private at 17. Instructor at 18 ? I think he went on to be a Commercial pilot. Does anyone know where he is now ? I now own an airport to the south of Northville ( NY05 )We have a fly - in every July....Lots to do here. Pool, pond, pond swing, 1000' zip line, etc. Two runways..My Freq. here is 122.67. I also remeber Barnes having a trip to Canada. Just driving, no flying..In the past I've owned a Cessna 140, J-3,Waco UPF -7, Stearmaan PT -17, 2 PA-12's, Cessna T210, Bell-47. Hope this helps you some. Tim
  #4  
Old May 29th 13, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Anyone know what happened to Sky Life Flying Camp?

On Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:27:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 3:50:38 AM UTC-5, wrote:

I was a member of Sky Life Flying Club in the early 70s. I hung out at the house in Mt Kisko & went to the Northville camp in '70 &'71. We lived in tents in a field north of the runway. Bud Wright was there with his sailboat and I still remember a lot of the guys, and the airplanes too. I had some fun with that group, but there was a dark undercurrent. I always suspected something ugly behind the scenes. I was too young to solo back then, flew 30 hours with them. Eventually I got rated. I'm interested in reconnecting with anyone from my time frame. -SS-




I joined around 1968. At that time the club was based out of White Plains Airport at International. I was only 13 and just started taking lessons in his Cessna 150 N--90X . He just started the camp in Northville. I remembered just being tents back then. He had a Cessna 206 which my father bought from him. I ended up getting my private on my 17th bithday out of Quades flying school in Orange county NY, that was near where I went to school ( but lived in Valhalla, NY ) I remember a Dan McGlocklin ?? He was the person on all the flyers for the camp/school. He soloed at 16, got his private at 17. Instructor at 18 ? I think he went on to be a Commercial pilot. Does anyone know where he is now ? I now own an airport to the south of Northville ( NY05 )We have a fly - in every July....Lots to do here. Pool, pond, pond swing, 1000' zip line, etc. Two runways..My Freq. here is 122.67. I also remeber Barnes having a trip to Canada. Just driving, no flying..In the past I've owned a Cessna 140, J-3,Waco UPF -7, Stearmaan PT -17, 2 PA-12's, Cessna T210, Bell-47. Hope this helps you some. Tim


I attended in the early 70's. I was around 14. Tents and planes and little sailboats. It was an old gov't hemp field...I think I remember Dan as a young instructor. Lee knew my dad was a ww2 bomber pilot. Utley, Mike I belive was there. I went twice and stopped after that. Fond memory. I just found out a guy I went to highschool with also went to Skylife!
  #5  
Old February 20th 14, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Anyone know what happened to Sky Life Flying Camp?

I am that 1969-70 early flight instructor (Dan McLaughlin) who was the cover for the Sky-Life literature. My private pilot picture was the model for the logo. I joined the club at 14 and left at 21 prior to the 1971 camp. I flew in the Navy and am retiring from a major airline this year after 35 years.
Lee was a great flight instructor but a manipulative predator who, in hindsight, abused his position of trust and power as our mentor.
During the early years, at least, a don't think any of his victims knew that others existed. He would flatter, plead, guilt-trip, threaten, lavish gifts upon those he targeted. His abuse went on way too long; but I, for one, was just glad to finally escape and start a new life free of his influence.
  #6  
Old April 2nd 14, 09:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
[email protected] tarezo@charter.net is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Apr 2014
Posts: 1
Default Anyone know what happened to Sky Life Flying Camp?

Here is a link to a recent New York Times article on the Hackley School where Lee Barnes used to work prior to his founding Sky Like Flying Club.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/02/21...html?referrer=
  #7  
Old July 21st 14, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Anyone know what happened to Sky Life Flying Camp?

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 4:08:13 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Here is a link to a recent New York Times article on the Hackley School where Lee Barnes used to work prior to his founding Sky Like Flying Club.



http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/02/21...html?referrer=


In 1969, when I was 15, I learned about the Sky Life Flying Club from a friend at Horace Greeley High School and was interested because I wanted to learn to fly. The first time I went to the house in Mt. Kisco, NY, Lee Barnes called me to his office, closed the door, and told me I would have to do "calisthenics in the nude" for him if I wanted to join the club. He wanted me to completely strip and do jumping jacks. I knew immediately what he was and what he was trying to do. When I refused, he tried every way he could to convince me to do it, to the point where I became very frightened because he was getting more and more frustrated and angry. I remember I kept thinking, "Where's my father? Why isn't he here yet to pick me up?" My father finally arrived and we immediately left. I told my father what happened and he called the Westchester County DA. My father told me the DA took some action that resulted in the club shutting down and Barnes and the rest leaving the area.

A friend of mine who ended up joining the club said that during his initiation he and the other "first timers" had to completely strip and run around as others shot water guns at them.

I remember the club had boys from NYC who would stay the weekend at the house. I can only imagine what might have occurred during those sleepovers.

I've always regretted not pushing my father to do more, but I think when the DA told my father what would be required of me, he thought it was in my best interests to take no further action. Who knows how many other boys had to suffer because of that decision.

I actually forgot Barnes' name, but I've been searching the Internet for years looking for Sky Life Flying Club in hopes this would finally surface. I'm glad it finally has. If I had remembered Barnes' name, I would have confronted him long ago (as an adult) and made sure he was not hurting any more boys. Apparently, at least according to the NY Times article, he's now dead. If that's in fact the case, I'm glad he's no longer alive to victimize others. If he's still alive, I would like to know where he lives.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone know what happened to Sky Life Flying Camp? [email protected] General Aviation 0 September 5th 12 09:59 AM
SoaringNV revitalizes Wave Camp tradition. Camp to be held March 30to April 3 FlyGirl Soaring 0 March 11th 10 06:25 PM
Bush Flying, pt 6 - Riverside Life.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman Aviation Photos 0 January 24th 09 01:59 PM
Miserable life without flying [email protected] Soaring 3 May 26th 06 02:53 AM
Life insurance & flying Stubby Piloting 6 July 16th 05 02:34 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.