Challenge : F-106 Delta Dart - P8200001.JPG (0/1)

Old August 5th 07, 10:20 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bert-Jan[_5_]

Default Challenge : F-106 Delta Dart - P8200001.JPG (0/1) - "P8200001.JPG" (0/1) 1.3 MBytes yEnc

"Bernd Rosemeier" wrote in news:f93ujl$bht
:

"Sam Shady" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 13:42:38 -0700, Sam Shady
wrote:

Sorry about yenc. Only way to send attachments.

Incorrect. Only way for assholes to send attachment.

BR

You are in this rather sadly incorrect!!!

I have for instance NEVER used OE for reading and posting because from the
start a friend of mine tought me how to use Xnews.
Therefore I have never known how to post "without" yEnc!!

It is for the lot of you, that I have had to teach myself NOT to post in
yEnc, but I did.
This took probably the same amount of work for you to give eYenc reading a
try.

And the only "RULE" in this NG is NOT TO BE RUDE to eachother!

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,

Bert-Jan
Old August 5th 07, 01:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Don Pyeatt

"Andrew-S" I-Still-Hate-Spammers@Sorry-I had-to-leave-for-bit.com wrote in
message ...
Lighten up...
I am on record as being very much opposed to yEnc, and wish to god it
would quietly and quickly go away. However this constant bickering,
misquoting of facts, and in at least one instance borderline lying has set
a new low in our newsgroup.

Besides don't you think we have enough name calling lately??? He clearly
labeled the image as a yEnc as I had requested, and more than met the
criteria I set out in my challenge. My challenge was intended to get
people back to the subject of the newsgroup: aviation images, and not
start a new round of this crap.

My request to any and all, is if you feel the urge either name call, offer
potentially inflammatory advice, or make some other rude comments is
simply to RESIST. We have had too much upset already, and driven too
many people away from the group.

Andrew

wrote:

Sorry about yenc. Only way to send attachments.

Incorrect. Only way for assholes to send attachment.

BR

Good morning Andrew,

While I appreciate your attempts to restore calm and reason to our group, I
just can't agree with the appeasement approach. History has shown that if
you try to co-exist with an invader you will continue to be invaded and will
eventually be overcome.

This yEnc/anti-yEnc issue is not about some purported technical advance, it
is a social issue. The invaders burst into our well-established and orderly
"community" with complete disregard for all Usenet etiquettes and declared
that our operational guidelines are invalid and then set out to expel our
most prolific posters - and have succeeded.

I am afraid that for the appeasement tact to work, we should first declare
our established guidelines void and go forward into whatever manner of
behavior the invaders choose to impose on us.

gdp

Old August 5th 07, 02:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave W

Default Challenge : F-106 Delta Dart - P8200001.JPG (0/1) - "f106.jpg" (0/1) 156.7 kBytes yEnc - F102guest.jpg (1/1)

In article ,
Sam Shady wrote:

Here it is, at last.

Here's your 106's older brother.
Regards,
Dave

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F102guest.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	15621
Old August 5th 07, 03:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven[_3_]

Dave W wrote in news:dwesten-8B5EC2.08324805082007
@news.athenanews.com:

In article ,
Sam Shady wrote:

Here it is, at last.

Here's your 106's older brother.
Regards,
Dave

Attachment decoded: untitled-2.txt
--------------6ImrwICGZwMC

Attachment decoded: F102guest.jpg
--------------6ImrwICGZwMC--

Actually, this is a F-102A Delta Dagger, the predecessor of the F-106A
Delta dart featured in the next posting. I admit that to the untrained eye,
they are easily mistaken for eachother.
The latter has more elegant lines, and the intakes are set aft of the
cockpit. Both aircraft where designed and manufactured by the same company:
Convair.

Very nice pictures!

Cave putoriem,

Steven
Old August 5th 07, 04:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Just Plane Noise[_2_]

On 05 Aug 2007 09:20:09 GMT, "Bert-Jan" wrote:

I have for instance NEVER used OE for reading and posting because from the
start a friend of mine tought me how to use Xnews.
Therefore I have never known how to post "without" yEnc!!

It is for the lot of you, that I have had to teach myself NOT to post in
yEnc, but I did.
This took probably the same amount of work for you to give eYenc reading a
try.

And the only "RULE" in this NG is NOT TO BE RUDE to eachother!

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,

Bert-Jan

Keep on posting your fine pix anyway you like. There are some of this
in this group who are here because we like pictures of airplanes. We
do not whine about doing whatever little thing is necessary to look at
the pictures of airplanes. Heck, we drive hundreds of miles to
airshows, spend hours hanging around airports, and do who knows what
else to look at planes, so anything we need to do on the computer to
see pictures pales in comparison in terms of time, effort, and cost.

To one and all: More pictures! Encode 'em any way you like--if your
pictures are good, I'll do what's needed to see 'em!
Old August 6th 07, 07:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew-S

Don,
I won't deny there is a certain element of truth to what you say. However I
really don't consider this to be an invasion. Where some of the initial
exchanges rude and downright unfriendly? Of course they where, As where
some of the opening volleys by the anti yEnc side. However for a variety of
reasons the yEnc, or not to yEnc question took on a life of it's own. Which
is unfortunate because when it became a social and perhaps even a political
issue, it also damaged our merry group. Damaged it by driving out many
lurkers who come to the group to gaze upon aviation imagery, but more
importantly also drove away many regular posters. People come to this group
to relax, not to argue and bait others into arguing, which is what was
happening.

This newsgroup rightly or wrongly is a little bit different from most of the
other image newsgroups. Many of the other NGs border on anarchy half the
time, as a result when people come here they are often caught off guard by
the strange sort of unorganized, organization that exists. They post away
in either yEnc, or do a massive multi part flood because that sort of thing
was considered acceptable in the other groups. Versus here where they are
not, and when they do, they are pounced upon and flamed so badly the local
fire department gets called... Not exactly the best way of welcoming
people to a supposedly open and self moderated newsgroup, especially when
their greatest sin was lack of knowledge.

Several people remarked that other newsgroups don't have the yEnc arguments
like what we do here. Well actually most of the NGs that I am familiar with
already have had their arguments. In many cases these arguments where just
as intense as they where here, however they happened several years ago. In
most cases an uneasy truce is the only thing that came after the several
days, weeks, or months of bickering. What these other groups are like now,
I honestly have no idea, because my NG access these days is pretty much
restricted to this group, and one or two technical groups that I visit
infrequently

Recently another interesting line of thought that was presented to me in an
E-mail by an anonymous lurker of several years, "who decides when and how
does this group evolves?" Kind of a strangely phrased question but a valid
one. Which follows my own: "What happens when a potentially good
contributor who barely knows anything but the yEnc way wants to post? Do we
declare him unfit for the newsgroup and roast him at his computer? Do we
counsel and advise and tell him he or she has to forget his existing
software and go with this or that software package?" Surely this makes us
just as bad as those who go around declaring only Xnews or whatever
newsreader is the only news reader that people should have.

Then there is my own anti yEnc arguments first and foremost of which is:
Why do we need yEnc? Now granted I am spoiled and blessed in that I have a
professional set up with multiple platforms on several computers, all with
high speed internet. However based upon everything I have seen and read,
the savings from yEnc are almost negligible with binaries image files. And
also by allowing yEnc it maybe forcing people to upgrade their already
stable systems, into something that is perhaps less stable if they want to
participate in group.

However beyond all of these questions a very strong argument came about for
yEnc a few years ago; when someone quite innocently came into this group and
hit us with several dozen yEnc images per day for about one week. The
quality of this amateur's images was nothing short of superb and in almost
every regard he would have been a credit to the group. Yet he was driven
from the group and treated like a pervert at a girl scout convention. So my
obvious question is: What about his honest desires to share his superb
images with like minded people? Didn't we in the anti-yEnc camp miss-treat
him?

You remarked about appeasement... A number of people commented via E-mails
about the arguments, and requested that I try to do something to get the
group back on subject. What better way then to issue out a challenge that
is hopefully a lot of fun to accept. Nothing fancy or too difficult just a
favorite photo; and a memorable almost photo. No restrictions on the format
just a simple posting. The only request was that there be no name calling,
and that everything was labeled accordingly. A request and a challenge that
has been accepted brilliantly given the number of excellent, and interesting
posts.

Old August 15th 07, 11:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
AWem

Default Challenge : F-106 Delta Dart - P8200001.JPG (0/1) - "f106.jpg" (1/1) 156.7 kBytes yEnc

I don't think I really appreciated it back when I was making plastic
models, but that really was a most elegant design for an aircraft. So
aesthetic.

andy

On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 06:09:03 GMT, Sam Shady