IR checkride story!

Old July 31st 03, 12:30 AM
Guy Elden Jr.

"David Megginson" wrote in message
"David Brooks" writes:

I'm having a brain fart at the moment - what was the diff between
flying the 270 radial upon crossing the VOR and turning 270 upon
crossing?

I wondered that. It makes a diff if there is a significant wind from
the N or S, but he did say "very calm"!

Here's a guess.

I don't remember what direction he was coming from, but let's say it
was from the south in perfectly calm winds. If he waited until the
flag flipped then turned left to 270 in a rate one, he would end up
maybe a mile to the north of the 270 radial flying parallel to it
(assuming that VOR twist was the same as magvar). To intercept the
radial quickly after station passage, he'd probably need to turn to a
heading of 255 or so until the CDI centred.

Yep, that's essentially what happened. I was heading southwest to the VOR,
and when the flag flipped, started the turn. Took about 15 seconds to get to
270, and that's when I started trying to clarify the situation. Track
outbound on the 270 radial, or just maintain a 270 heading.

--
Guy Elden Jr.

Old July 31st 03, 12:35 AM
Guy Elden Jr.

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
Guy Elden Jr. wrote:
[...]
I was quite relieved when the oral was over, because even though I
presented myself as calm, I was definitely nervous inside. The examiner
said I'd done a very good job, as did one of the FAA guys in the

bleachers
behind me, so I was pretty well charged up for the ride itself! My basic
approach to the oral is to treat it like a grueling technical interview
(I'm a software developer).

Damn. Are you me?

Uh, just a sec... me goes to mirror me looks in mirror ... nope, I'm
still me! :-)

As I completed one full trip around the pattern, the examiner handed me

an
approach chart for Somerset airport in NJ, and told me I'd been cleared
for the approach, radar services terminated. So I flew the whole

approach,
PT and all, and got it down to minimums as appropriate.

I hope there wasn't anyone in the pattern. As I recall that airport, an
approach would run you right through that.

The examiner was on the radio calling out our position for me. Before we
started with the test, he said he'd let me take care of all the radio calls
until he was satisfied I could handle them on my own. Then he would take
over and I'd concentrate on the rest of the approaches and maneuvers. For
that particular approach, we had already cancelled IFR, so the examiner was
acting as ATC, and I directed all of my "calls" to him directly.

--
Guy Elden Jr.

Old July 31st 03, 09:59 PM
Andrew Gideon

Guy Elden Jr. wrote:

Damn. Are you me?

Uh, just a sec... me goes to mirror me looks in mirror ... nope, I'm
still me! :-)

But you've never seen me. So that you're you doesn't discount this
possibility. If you want to be sure, you could join us at a MAPA
(http://www.midatlanticpilots.com/) meeting. If you don't know, Little
Falls is just a few minutes driving from Caldwell.

[...]

I see. I'm a little surprised that he didn't want you to handle the radio.
Pretending to be ATC, I understand. But part of your job is to handle the
radio, after all.

The first approach on my ride was a VOR into 4N1. I had to handle the
entire thing, including the radio work once we'd "broken out". I'm not
sure at this point, but I *think* I had to do this to a T&G. Or maybe I
did a missed there, and landed at MGJ (where we did an NDB). Sheesh...I
cannot even remember which approach I did partial panel. At the time, I
thought that the ride would be burned into memory. Hmm. I'm sure it's
still in a USENET archive, fortunately.

That's another good reason to make these postings, people. Human memory is
a fleeting thing, but Deja News is forever. Oh, wait, I forgot...

I'm still quite curious: who was the DE? Was it that fellow (Green?) from
Century? I found an earlier USENET posting which appears to indicate that
you fly there, or at least flew there.

- Andrew

Old August 1st 03, 10:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

Andrew,

I see. I'm a little surprised that he didn't want you to handle the radio.
Pretending to be ATC, I understand. But part of your job is to handle the
radio, after all.

Well, that headset thing makes all that more difficult than it should be.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 1st 03, 02:40 PM
Guy Elden Jr.

That's another good reason to make these postings, people. Human memory
is
a fleeting thing, but Deja News is forever. Oh, wait, I forgot...

You know about groups.google.com, right?

I'm still quite curious: who was the DE? Was it that fellow (Green?) from
Century? I found an earlier USENET posting which appears to indicate that
you fly there, or at least flew there.

Yep, he's the one.

--
jr

Old August 1st 03, 05:28 PM
Andrew Gideon

Guy Elden Jr. wrote:

That's another good reason to make these postings, people. Human memory

is
a fleeting thing, but Deja News is forever. Oh, wait, I forgot...

You know about groups.google.com, right?

Dejagoogle? Yes. Sorry...I was making a joke.

I'm still quite curious: who was the DE? Was it that fellow (Green?)
from
Century? I found an earlier USENET posting which appears to indicate
that you fly there, or at least flew there.

Yep, he's the one.

Interesting. Have you any idea why Century left MMU? I thought that MMU
was kicking out "small airplanes" (rather like what TEB's doing with their
recent fee changes), but I've since learned that there's a new "small
airplane" FBO/School opening at MMU.

Any thoughts about a MAPA meeting?

- Andrew

Old August 1st 03, 09:03 PM
Maule Driver

I would have assumed that he said or meant the 270 radial since he said you
should go to ARD then 270. Why have me hit a VOR if you are going to vector
me. I'm not saying my assumption is correct but I'm pretty sure that's how
I would interpret such a command sequence no matter what the controller
actually said. hmmm.

Neat Story John Home Built 1 November 30th 04 12:04 PM
A Good Story Badwater Bill Home Built 15 September 3rd 03 03:00 PM
Mitchell Wing A-10 restoration story Kevin O'Brien Home Built 1 August 17th 03 06:36 PM
CNN will do a story on Oshkosh. Richard Lamb Home Built 2 August 3rd 03 02:50 AM
CFI-I Checkride stories? Jim Instrument Flight Rules 11 July 18th 03 01:04 AM