XC Soar map help needed

Old June 6th 11, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ken Latam

Default XC Soar map help needed

Running XC Soar on an Ipaq 2215. The program loaded and runs fine as well
as the Flashcard GPS unit. My problem is how do you load the map data into
the program? I have gone to the Naviter web site and downloaded the map
covering this area,but can't get XC Soar to find it.

Ken

Old June 6th 11, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

Ken Latam wrote:
Running XC Soar on an Ipaq 2215. The program loaded and runs fine as well
as the Flashcard GPS unit. My problem is how do you load the map data into
the program? I have gone to the Naviter web site and downloaded the map
covering this area,but can't get XC Soar to find it.

Hi Ken,

you can download pregenerated map files on our web site:

http://www.xcsoar.org/download/maps/

Naviter is our competitor, they're using a proprietary map format that
is not supported by XCSoar.

Max
Old June 6th 11, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Xtophe

On 6 juin, 21:13, Ken Latam wrote:
Running XC Soar on an Ipaq 2215. The program loaded and runs fine as well
as the Flashcard GPS unit. My problem is how do you load the map data into
the program? I have gone to the Naviter web site and downloaded the map
covering this area,but can't get XC Soar to find it.

XCSoar has no relation with Naviter. And while the latest version can
read SeeYou waypoint and tasks file, it can't read the maps.

You need to downlaod a map from http://xcsoar.org/download/maps/ or
generate one at
http://mapgen.xcsoar.org/

hth,

Xtophe
Old June 7th 11, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ken Latam

Hi Ken,
you can download pregenerated map files on our web site:

http://www.xcsoar.org/download/maps/

Naviter is our competitor, they're using a proprietary map format that is
not supported by XCSoar.

Max

Thanks a bunch. BUT I need the map that is the next area EAST of:

CAN_SE_BC

Any chance of it being added?

Ken

Old June 7th 11, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Jun 6, 7:30*pm, Ken Latam wrote:
Hi Ken,

you can download pregenerated map files on our web site:

*http://www.xcsoar.org/download/maps/

Naviter is our competitor, they're using a proprietary map format that is
not supported by XCSoar.

Max

Thanks a bunch. BUT I need the map that is the next area EAST of:

CAN_SE_BC

Any chance of it being added? *

Ken

I'm pretty sure the you can generate it with Mapgen as Xtophe
suggested.
Old June 7th 11, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Jun 6, 7:30*pm, Ken Latam wrote:
Hi Ken,

you can download pregenerated map files on our web site:

*http://www.xcsoar.org/download/maps/

Naviter is our competitor, they're using a proprietary map format that is
not supported by XCSoar.

Max

Thanks a bunch. BUT I need the map that is the next area EAST of:

CAN_SE_BC

Any chance of it being added? *

Ken

Have you tried Mapgen as Xtophe suggested? If it works as it used to,
you can supply the coordinates of the corners of the area you want, or
your waypoint file.
Old June 7th 11, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ken Latam

Have you tried Mapgen as Xtophe suggested? If it works as it used to,
you can supply the coordinates of the corners of the area you want, or
your waypoint file.

Yes. Wonderfull site,exact area I need. But I still cannot add the map
data to the XC Soar. In the setup system window #1 "site" when the map
database box is tapped, an empty screen is shown. It looks like the .xcm
map file should be listed here,but it is not.

It is added to the program file's next to XC Soar,but will not transfer
over.

Now what?

Ken

Old June 7th 11, 10:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

Ken Latam wrote:
But I still cannot add the map data to the XC Soar. In the setup
system window #1 "site" when the map database box is tapped, an
empty screen is shown. It looks like the .xcm map file should be
listed here,but it is not.

It is added to the program file's next to XC Soar,but will not transfer
over.

Did you copy the .XCM file to the XCSoarData folder? The XCSoar
manual describes this in detail.

To help you further, I need more information about your setup - what
device? What operating system? Where and how did you install XCSoar?
Where did you copy the other data files? etc.
Old June 7th 11, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ken Latam

I am running an Ipaq 2215 on windows pocket pc 2003. XC Soar and the
cabinet file were downloaded to my PC then copied to the Ipaq in the start
up directory. I did have XC Soar ver 6.0 but have changed to ver 6.1. Tho I
liked ver 6.0 better. in 6.1 I need to redo ALL the info every time the
program is started.

Ken

Old June 8th 11, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Jun 6, 2:11*pm, Max Kellermann wrote:
Ken Latam wrote:
Running XC Soar on an Ipaq 2215. The program loaded and runs fine as well
as the Flashcard GPS unit. My problem is how do you load the map data into
the program? I have gone to the Naviter web site and downloaded the map
covering this area,but can't get XC Soar to find it.

Hi Ken,

you can download pregenerated map files on our web site:

*http://www.xcsoar.org/download/maps/

Naviter is our competitor, they're using a proprietary map format that
is not supported by XCSoar.

Max

Okay, now I'm confused too. I used the link above, and downloaded the
map for Truckee. I extracted all the files from the zipped folder,
and then searched for a file with an xcm extension, but found none.

Fat boy wants to soar... toggles mcfarley Soaring 24 March 23rd 10 06:51 PM
XC-Soar [email protected] Soaring 4 January 26th 09 04:06 PM
Get out of the Cold and SOAR! Mike Schumann Soaring 4 January 22nd 09 06:03 AM
Instructor needed at Soar Minden [email protected] Soaring 2 May 21st 07 02:13 AM
why do you soar? Mark James Boyd Soaring 27 October 21st 03 07:48 PM