Group Poll :Oxygen

Old October 31st 05, 09:48 PM
Sylvain

Default Group Poll :Oxygen

Jim Burns wrote:
Do you own/rent/borrow a portable oxygen system?

I own an Aerox (two places regulator) with a "M" tank
(22 cu feet at 2216 psi) which I use mostly with an
'oxysave' canula;

The reviews I read were saying the aerox regulator
was most reliable -- note that the regulator is what
makes the difference really between brands, tanks
and canula/masks being pretty much the same -- and
I picked the "M" tank because... well, dunno :-)
looked like the best comprise between size and capacity;

I use it if I plan on spending some time above 5000 at
night and 10000 during the day and during long cross
country (much less fatigue at the end);

--Sylvain
Old November 1st 05, 10:44 AM
Michelle P

Own,
Nelson
Works well, no complaints
Four person, 15/18 CF
Flow is marked as an altitude on the valve.
Michelle

Jim Burns wrote:

Do you own/rent/borrow a portable oxygen system?
Which brand?
Likes/dislikes regarding the particular brand?
System features?
Size/capacity?
Typical altitude flown when in use?
Comments please.

Thanks!

Jim

Old November 1st 05, 01:30 PM
Ron Natalie

Jim Burns wrote:
Do you own/rent/borrow a portable oxygen system?

I own a precise flight (nelson) bottle with the scuba-type
(conservers) regulators for the me and Margy and a couple
of the cheaper ball-in-tube flow regulators in the rare
event of passengers.

Likes/dislikes regarding the particular brand?

Comes with a nice bag, unfortunately the strapping they give
you won't mount to the Navion seats (needs the type of seat where
you can fish the strap between the seat bottom and seat back).

The regulators have the nice feature that you can turn up the
oxygen if you decide you need more than the default setting
(set by altitude). The conservers do a good job on extending
the bottle times. Both of these are an improvement over the
Mountain Home system we also looked at which doesn't do as good
of a job on conserving, is essentially a "black box" that you
can't adjust, and requires a battery to boot.

Size/capacity?

22 cubic foot

Typical altitude flown when in use?

Anything approaching 10K or more. Lower at night.

Comments please.

Old November 1st 05, 03:41 PM
Jim Burns

Thanks for all the great responses!

Another question that hit me (without getting into the whole aviation 02 vs
medical 02 vs welding 02 debate)

What is the average cost for your refills with aviation 02?

I really like the idea of Precise Flights pulse system, but I'd like to
compare the cost of 02 saved vs the cost of the adjustible pulse controller
vs the claimed increase in comfort over the regular non-pulse systems.

Thanks again, lots of great answers!

Jim

Old November 1st 05, 04:51 PM
Bashir Salamati

:
:Another question that hit me (without getting into the whole aviation 02 vs
:medical 02 vs welding 02 debate)
:
:What is the average cost for your refills with aviation 02?
:
:I really like the idea of Precise Flights pulse system, but I'd like to
:compare the cost of 02 saved vs the cost of the adjustible pulse controller
:vs the claimed increase in comfort over the regular non-pulse systems.
:
:Thanks again, lots of great answers!

Aviation 02, $25

Welding 02, $.25
Old November 2nd 05, 01:13 AM

The MH is very deluxe. You feel great on about 1/4 the oxygen
that would usually be required.

Probably not for the casual user tho... It would take a lot of fills
to justify the price.

Bill Hale

Old November 2nd 05, 02:05 AM
Peter Duniho

wrote in message
oups.com...
The MH is very deluxe. You feel great on about 1/4 the oxygen
that would usually be required.

Probably not for the casual user tho... It would take a lot of fills
to justify the price.

It's not just about the direct economics of the situation.

Using less oxygen means being able to be more selective about where one
fills up the tank. I've found that traveling across the country, oxygen
fill-ups vary widely in price. I've seen as low as $15, and as high as $50
or more. It would be nice to be able to tell the folks selling for $50 to
take a hike, because your tank will last you another three legs (or more!).

And of course, there's the sheer convenience of not having to fill up as
often.

Now, granted...that's not a computable benefit. One has to decide for
themself what that convenience is worth. But an airplane owner has often
already decided they are willing to spend extra for convenience; a LOT
extra. The extra expense for the fancy oxygen system often pales in
comparison.

Besides, a 1/4 the flow and $50 fillups, it won't actually take that long to
pay for a Mountain High system.

Pete

Old November 2nd 05, 02:51 AM
Ken Reed

Do you own/rent/borrow a portable oxygen system?
Which brand?
Likes/dislikes regarding the particular brand?
System features?
Size/capacity?
Typical altitude flown when in use?
Comments please.

I considered all my options with respect to oxygen and ended up with the
Precise Flight System. I ordered the 'M' cylinder one with two of the
demand valves and two regular devices. Four face masks and all the other
goodies, of course. Last Thursday I went from Tucson (KAVQ) to Portland,
OR (KPDX). Mostly, we were at 14,000 ft, IFR. I returned home on Sunday,
mostly at 15,000 ft. The trip was 7.1 hours up (with weather deviations
and a precautionary landing for weather) and 5.9 hours back. 13 hours
total flying time. Probably 12 of those hours on oxygen. Two people. The
FBO didn't completely fill up the tank (1700 psi) before I left, but I
didn't run out of oxygen. There isn't much left in the tank but it
appears the demand valves allow more than 24 person hours on a tank. I
also bought into a transfilling system with another guy at the airport
so filling the bottle won't be expensive.
---
Ken Reed
N960CM
2001 SR-22
Old November 2nd 05, 02:57 AM
Ken Reed

I have a factory installed 2000 lb system in my TR-182.

All oxygen systems are 2000 psi. The capacity varies.
---
Ken Reed
N960CM
Old November 2nd 05, 03:36 AM
Jose

The FBO didn't completely fill up the tank (1700 psi) before I left

I take it you can tell beforehand from the pressure gauge? Why wouldn't
they fill it completely?

Jose

Group Poll :Oxygen Jim Burns Piloting 55 November 7th 05 05:40 PM
Group poll: Favorite greases Jim Burns Owning 9 May 27th 05 03:53 AM
Group Poll: How many hours between mag overhauls? Jon Kraus Owning 22 April 26th 05 01:50 AM
What's minimum safe O2 level? PaulH Piloting 29 November 9th 04 07:35 PM
Group Poll: Best 2+kids or 4 place taildragger? Jim Owning 28 December 2nd 03 01:57 AM