Group Poll :Oxygen

Old November 6th 05, 06:33 AM
jpgoenix

Default Group Poll :Oxygen

- Glider pilot:
http://www.jimphoenix.com/jimphoenix...busFlying.html

- Mountain High EDS, connected to ships power with 9V battery backup
and spare battery in the bag just in case.

- Oxygen cannula on prior to takeoff on every flight, never know when
the thermals go above 10k, or wave happens.

- Nonin pulse oximeter, no better way to tell if you're saturated...
or not.

- Refill my own ship bottle (aluminum AL647 from MH) with welder's
oxygen. O2 is O2, unless somebody adds something to it, like H2O, but
then it's not O2 is it? Bottle and gas from Praxair. I also use it for
welding.

- The 647 lasts about 10 hours at 10k, then it's only down to about
500 lbs. I cascade to about 1500, then top off with my 2200 psi bottle,
the high pressure bottle lasts an entire summer, goes down to maybe
1800, then it becomes the cascade bottle.

- Cheap - make your own refill lines with fittings from
www.mcmaster.com.

- It's your life, figure out the oxygen thing if you're going to do
it. The Avweb article is good, google it.

Jim

www.jimphoenix.com

Old November 7th 05, 01:54 AM
John Doe

"Jose" wrote in message
no one has mentioned using
an O2 system from a home healthcare type source.
It's the same 02, the same bottles.

IN ground school I was taught that medical O2 has water in it which can
freeze in the lines at high altitudes and low pressures. I've never used
O2 so have no firsthand experience.

obvious change in the address.

Wow. I normally don't keep my cabin that cold. My wife would complain long
before water would freeze.

Old November 7th 05, 02:06 AM
Jose

IN ground school I was taught that medical O2 has water in it which can
freeze in the lines at high altitudes and low pressures. I've never used
O2 so have no firsthand experience.

Wow. I normally don't keep my cabin that cold. My wife would complain long
before water would freeze.

Do you normally keep your wife inside the oxygen lines? I would
complain too.

Jose
Old November 7th 05, 05:40 PM
Charles K. Scott

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 04:05:45 GMT, George Patterson
wrote:

Pilots in WWI routinely flew patrols at altitudes up to 20,000' without oxygen.
Basically, being physically able to perform at 6,000 meters was part of the
criteria for being an airman. If you couldn't hack it, you washed out (or died).

That may be true George (and I believe it is), but there's no telling
how many pilots were lost from being stupidly hypoxic. There was an
instance in which two Allied pilots stalked a German Taube that was
flying at or about 20,000 feet. The Taube was obviously reconoitering
and taking photos, and it circled continuously over it's point of
interest. The two approaching pursuits were in plain sight, according
to the author (who was one of the two pilots), and even saw the German
pilots head turn and look at them. But he made no move to escape and
just flew on straight and level. They shot him down.

Corky Scott

Group Poll :Oxygen Jim Burns Piloting 55 November 7th 05 05:40 PM
Group poll: Favorite greases Jim Burns Owning 9 May 27th 05 03:53 AM
Group Poll: How many hours between mag overhauls? Jon Kraus Owning 22 April 26th 05 01:50 AM
What's minimum safe O2 level? PaulH Piloting 29 November 9th 04 07:35 PM
Group Poll: Best 2+kids or 4 place taildragger? Jim Owning 28 December 2nd 03 01:57 AM