Bose Headsets

Old June 18th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Bose Headsets

We are looking for a third partner... You interested? ;-)

Jon

Jack Allison wrote:
Jon Kraus wrote:

No Jack... You have a 3 way partnership and I'm only in a 2 person one
(so I pay more)... So you should have way way way more money than me...

Ah...but you see, you can afford a 2-way partnership, I can only afford
a 3-way partnership...so you have more money you can spend on aviation.

Plus I thought that everyone that lived in California was rich... Am I
mistaken? :-)

Um...yes. :-)

Old June 18th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jim Logajan wrote:

The wavelength at ~2000 Hz is still about ~6 inches.

Closer to 7", but even so, but you need to have the microphone and the
node at which you're trying to cancel the noise VERY close together in
relation to the wavelength. Remember, 1/4 wavelength will be 90
degrees out of phase - you need something on the order of 1/16
wavelength or less to keep the phase mismatch reasonable, and ensure
that the microphone is picking up the same sounds as the ear picks up.
So even at 2K Hz, the microphone needs to be no further than 3/8"
from the ear - that's not going to happen - that's pretty much inside
your ear.

That's why the ANR rating of the Telex that's been discussed
previously is only 12 dB in the 2K Hz range, whereas the ANR rating of
the Bose/Lightspeed/etc. is in the mid to high 30 dB range at the
lower frequencies - as Thomas B. pointed out, that's a HUGE difference.

Two limiting factors would seem to be the distance between the
external microphone and the headphone, and the frequency response
of the feedback electronics.

Ummm, the external microphone (the one you speak into) is NOT the
microphone that's used for ANR sensing. There is a small microphone
INSIDE each earcup - as close to the ear as it can be placed. Using
the external mic. for sensing would be completely useless.

..... If your feedback response is slow, it
might actually pay to design it so the external microphone is
farther away from the headphone.

Again, putting the external mic. anywhere other than right near the
ear would make it impossible to do any sort of ANR.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://www.cozybuilders.org/
Old June 19th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 2006-06-16, Thomas Borchert wrote:
Most manufacturers have dramatically changed the form of their headsets and
use new, innovative materials - for sound ergonomic reasons. DCs look the
same since decades. And they are called David Clamps by many users for good
reason.

Headsets are in the head of the beholder (!) - personally, I find my
David Clark H10-13.4 (which came with gel ear seals) to have been
perfectly comfortable and durable for over 1000 hours of flying.

I have tried the Bose headsets - a friend has some - and out of all the
ANR sets I've tried, Bose are the only ones with worthwhile ANR, to me
they were in a class of their own. But so they should be - my David
Clarks were abour $250, the Bose headsets were four times more
expensive. (Incidentally, out of all the headsets I've tried, David
Clark and Bose are the only ones I find really comfortable. In
particular, I've never got on with the Lightspeeds).

Old June 22nd 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jon Kraus wrote:
We are looking for a third partner... You interested? ;-)

Sorry man, one airplane at a time. Besides, the commute to fly the
Mooney would be a killer. :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old June 23rd 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

B A R R Y wrote:
RK Henry wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:02:51 -0400, "Kobra"
wrote:

My main complaint with the Bose is the price.

I am curious about what Bose brings to the product that makes it worth
the extra money.

Because people pay it. G

Do I think my Bose X is WORTH $995? Not really.

Am I happy I bought them every time I use them? Absolutely.

After trying them for 30 days, I bent over, heald my cheeks, and kept
the headset, simply because I liked them enough to pay the price of
admission.

I agree. I resisted, because Bose audio equipment is such crap. But
the headsets are the best, and there's just no denying it. I broke
down and bought a set, and I haven't regretted it for an instant.
People comment about how much I paid and how much I must loooooooove my
headsets. But mostly, I don't even realize the things are on my head.
That's how comfortable they are.

-C.
--
Flight instructor training blog:
http://clumpinglitter.livejournal.com/

Bose active headsets Matt Johnson Piloting 0 November 22nd 05 08:38 AM
Bose active headsets Rip Piloting 1 November 14th 05 12:20 AM
Bose active headsets Mark Manes Piloting 0 November 13th 05 01:52 AM
Bose active headsets kontiki Piloting 0 November 13th 05 01:12 AM
My Bose headsets are shocking me! Peter R. Owning 5 February 17th 04 01:16 PM