Bose Headsets

Old June 13th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Bose Headsets

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:02:51 -0400, "Kobra"
wrote:

My main complaint with the Bose is the price.

I am curious about what Bose brings to the product that makes it worth
the extra money. Or David Clark for that matter. I've fantasized about
a ANR headset but am deterred by the money. I'll just have to make do
with the old-fashioned foam-stuffed noise attenuating headset. If
someone can give a good reason to put up the money, I'd like to hear
it.

RK Henry
Old June 13th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote:

My main complaint with the Bose is the price.

I am curious about what Bose brings to the product that makes it worth
the extra money. Or David Clark for that matter. I've fantasized about
a ANR headset but am deterred by the money. I'll just have to make do
with the old-fashioned foam-stuffed noise attenuating headset. If
someone can give a good reason to put up the money, I'd like to hear
it.

For David Clark, it's easy--they're virtually indestructible, and the
company stands behind them like no other.

As for the Bose, I've flown with the Series II and the X. There is no
headset on the market that even comes close to the audio quality of the
Bose sets--not even remotely close. Bose's ANR is impressive, but not
$500+ more impressive than Lightspeed. Bose does, however, put
outstanding ANR and sound quality into a featherweight, rather slim
headset in the Bose X, and that makes pretty good package.

Unfortunately, Lightspeed seems to think that comfort means 3" of foam
all around your head, which I think is ridiculous. The headsets are
just way, way, way too big and bulky. Their QFR sets seem to be a much
more reasonable size, and the ANR version of their QFR series has
received some positive reviews (and it's relatively inexpensive.)
Lightspeed sets don't have the greatest track record for durability,
though I'm not sure how the QFR sets might hold up.

JKG
Old June 14th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

RK Henry wrote:

My main complaint with the Bose is the price.

You and everyone else :-).

I am curious about what Bose brings to the product that makes it
worth the extra money. Or David Clark for that matter. I've
fantasized about a ANR headset but am deterred by the money. I'll
just have to make do with the old-fashioned foam-stuffed noise
attenuating headset. If someone can give a good reason to put up
the money, I'd like to hear it.

When I started riding motorcycles in 1976, Bell Helmets started
selling $60 helmets, which were 6X the price of the standard helmets
on the market. Their marketing campaign basically was "If you have a
$10 head, get a $10 helmet".

I'll say the same thing about ANR headsets - if being able to hear as
you get older isn't worth anything to you, then get a set of passive
headsets and save the $200 - $500 difference in cost. However, if you
value your hearing, both now and in the future, you should invest in a
set of headsets that protects your hearing as well as you can, and ANR
does that far better than passive.

Now, WHICH ANR headset to get is far less critical than getting a good
pair, and there are many good pair. Comfort, sound quality, and cost
will all play into the equation. Personally, I got my Bose at a huge
discount, so for me the determination was easy. I purchased a set of
Lightspeed 15XL's a few years ago, because that was MY $350 :-), and
my passenger wears that.

Many people want the best sound quality, light weight, and low
clamping force, and are willing to pay $1K to get it. Others just
want the protection, and you can get that for $300-$500, but the
headsets will be bulky, less comfortable, heavier, and have crappier
sound quality. You pays your money, and takes your choice.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://www.cozybuilders.org/
Old June 14th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 00:46:50 GMT, "Marc J. Zeitlin"
wrote:

RK Henry wrote:

[...]

The question is, does ANR do any better at attenuating the
ear-damaging frequencies than ordinary noise attenuating headsets? Has
anyone done scientific peer-reviewed studies? Some articles I've read,
admittedly some years ago when these things first appeared, suggested
that ANR mostly cancelled low frequencies. The foam stuffing in
ordinary passive noise attenuating headsets does very well at
attenuating the high-energy high-frequencies that seem to be
particularly hazardous to the ear and ANR might not offer much extra
help there.

OTOH, an ordinary noise attenuating headset loses effectiveness when
you stick eyeglass (or sunglass) temple pieces between your head and
the ear cushion. The bump around the temple pieces allows noise to
leak in. Years ago, David Clark sold little foam wedges that slipped
on your eyeglasses to smooth over that gap. They worked well, but
apparently they're no longer available. Does ANR eliminate the need
for such accessories?

RK Henry
Old June 14th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

RK Henry wrote:

The question is, does ANR do any better at attenuating the
ear-damaging frequencies than ordinary noise attenuating headsets?

Yes.

Has anyone done scientific peer-reviewed studies?

Yes. See:

http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/tutorial101.asp

for a very good, fair tutorial on the basics of ANR. I used to point
folks to this to read about ANR even when I worked at Bose on headsets
back in 1999 on the Bose X.

I don't believe that pointers to relevant studies are on the Bose
website, but I do remember seeing a few good studies (some military)
on ANR protection when I was at Bose. I'm sure a search on line or in
the library would turn them up.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://www.cozybuilders.org/
Old June 14th 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

RK,

I've fantasized about
a ANR headset but am deterred by the money.

Those brands you mention are not your only options - just the most
expensive. For DC, you pay ridiculous amounts for the name and get a
technologically and ergonomically old headset. For Bose you pay for the
name - and a very advanced headset. Other options let you pay only for
the (possibly not quite that) advanced technology...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 14th 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

RK,

The question is, does ANR do any better at attenuating the
ear-damaging frequencies than ordinary noise attenuating headsets?

I suggest you read the ANR tutorial at Lightspeed's website.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 14th 06, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Kobra,

You are correct; the Bose are expensive... But their
let-you-use-their-money where they break the price up to 12 no interest
$82 payments was hard to pass up. I ordered the headset on early Monday
morning and it was at my house at 10:00 am on Tuesday!!

I got a chance to use them last night for the first time and I put them
on and the first thing I noticed is how easy they are to adjust. I
didn't notice a big difference in the passive noise reduction but as
soon as I pushed the ANR button it was like night and day... Very nice
ANR (even compared to my DC 20 10XL's). And as I was hoping, the
microphone was most excellent too... So far so good...

I'm planning on doing some more flying this weekend and try them out
some more... Yea the cell phone interface would be nice but whatch gonna
do...

Jon

Kobra wrote:
Jon,

My main complaint with the Bose is the price. Everytime I see the ad I feel
like I need to put on a chastity belt to protect my bung hole.

I've compared them to my Lightspeed 30-3G's and they are the same in noise
reduction, but the Bose are far superior in comfort and size. My second
complaint is that, for the money, you would think they would have music and
cell phone input. If you want that you have to go with a third party plug
for 90 to 100 bucks (assuming you don't own the PS Engineering PMA 8000B
also on my wish list).

I've just been waiting for that one feature to be added and that will be the
excuse I need to pardon Bose for financial sodomy.

Kobra

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
.. .

I just broke down and ordered a Bose Aviation Headset X. I have been
wanting one for several years but 1 AMU is a lot of cash for a headset...
Then I remembered how deaf I am becomming adnd thought that this would be
the best protection for my non-renewable hearing.

I already have a set of David Clarks H20 10XL's and they work great so if
the Bose work better than I'll be tickled pink.

How many of you good folks fly with the Bose or have used them and give me
a PIREP. Thanks!!

Jon Kraus

Old June 14th 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

FWIW, I've got the lightspeed 30-3G (yes they are bulky, but they work). DRE
put out a US made ANR Headset (not unlike the DC13.4 form factor) for around
US$279.00. They might not be the best (although I have read positive
reports), seem to be built like the proverbial Brick Sh#$%^thouse and you
cannot use price as an excuse for not going ANR. Might be worth a look

http://www.drecomm.com/6kservice.htm

Available from Avionics West IIRC.

Cheers,
Kevin

Old June 14th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

wrote:

My main complaint with the Bose is the price.

I am curious about what Bose brings to the product that makes it worth
the extra money.

Because people pay it. G

Do I think my Bose X is WORTH $995? Not really.

Am I happy I bought them every time I use them? Absolutely.

After trying them for 30 days, I bent over, heald my cheeks, and kept
the headset, simply because I liked them enough to pay the price of
admission.

Bose active headsets Matt Johnson Piloting 0 November 22nd 05 08:38 AM
Bose active headsets Rip Piloting 1 November 14th 05 12:20 AM
Bose active headsets Mark Manes Piloting 0 November 13th 05 01:52 AM
Bose active headsets kontiki Piloting 0 November 13th 05 01:12 AM
My Bose headsets are shocking me! Peter R. Owning 5 February 17th 04 01:16 PM