Sport Pilot - School Won't Offer

Old February 13th 05, 11:39 AM
Cub Driver

Limited cross country.. based on where you are signed off to fly.. and
limited distance from "home" airport.. not a fuel thing..

Not so. I could tomorrow downgrade my recreational certificate to a
sport pilot license and fly from New Hampshire to California.

There is nothing in the sport pilot cert that limits location or
distance. Likely you are thinking about the bare-bones recreational
certificate, which can be lifted with a two-hour XC flight and an
hour's ground school on controlled airspace (and the knowledge, of
course).

Sport pilot rules are actually more liberal than recreational rules,
and the latter have been upgraded to suit the former. That's why I can
now land at a towered airport with a specific signoff for it.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
Old February 14th 05, 11:56 AM
Cub Driver

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 06:39:29 -0500, Cub Driver
wrote:

Sport pilot rules are actually more liberal than recreational rules,
and the latter have been upgraded to suit the former. That's why I can
now land at a towered airport with a specific signoff for it.

that should be WITHOUT a signoff

Sorry! Never let your fingers do the talking.

Old February 15th 05, 03:16 AM
BTIZ

Ok.. I was thinking there was a distance limit... I just re-read 61.315..
just try getting to California and stay below 10,000MSL, you'll have to go
the long way around.. through NM and AZ... and stay out of Class B, C, and
D... and don't fly at night..

you do need a sign off for those classes.. 61.325

yes.. the Recreational pilot can go more than 50nm from home with a signoff
that he has received additional training..

BT

Old February 12th 05, 06:21 PM
Helen Woods

Sounds like he has the sport pilot lisence confused with the
recreational lisence. Common mistake.

Sport Pilot is just now barely beginning to catch on in the mainstream
GA comunity. It's going to be quite a while before most schools offer
it in large part due to the lack of available planes that fit the
catagory. That is doubly so in the DC ADIZ as most of the planes now
available that fit the catagory are old 1940's trainers that don't have
an elctrical system required for ADIZ ops.

If you want to be able earn a Sport Pilot ticket at your local airport
in the ADIZ probably yuour best best is to look into buying an early
model Aercoup (later models don't qualify) and find a CFI who will work
with you. Early Aercouops fit the catagory, can suport a mode c
transponder, and are tricycle gear so finding a CFI won't be too hard.
They are also reasonably priced to buy and insure. They were originaly
built in MD so there are a lot around here as well as folks who can help
you find parts and maintain them.

Good luck.

Helen
Old February 12th 05, 06:44 PM
Helen Woods

PS. You can also burn auto fuel in that Aercoup and bring your
operating costs down to a fraction of anything you thought about reenting...
Old February 11th 05, 04:31 PM
Cecil Chapman

At the risk of suggesting something that you already tried, I would offer
that you should check with the EAA on their website and I'm certain they
will be able to properly direct you.

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old February 11th 05, 04:44 PM
George Patterson

Gary G wrote:

I will note that they don't have any planes that qualify - I don't know how close a 152 is, but
I think it's a bit over the limit.

That's it, right there. He'll change his tune if he ever gets a sport aircraft
on the line. You frequently find a similar opposition to the use of automotive
fuel from mechanics that have a stake in the sale of 100LL.

George Patterson
He who would distinguish what is true from what is false must have an
adequate understanding of truth and falsehood.
Old February 11th 05, 07:20 PM
Robert M. Gary

We should be careful how we say "Sport Aircraft". There are "Sport
Aircraft" which I believe refers to planes who's airworthiness ticket
says "Sport Aircraft category" and then there are qualified "Normal"
category aircraft that meet the requirements to be flown by "Sport
Pilots".

-Robert

Old February 12th 05, 02:37 AM
Neil Gould

Recently, George Patterson posted:

Gary G wrote:

I will note that they don't have any planes that qualify - I don't
know how close a 152 is, but I think it's a bit over the limit.

That's it, right there. He'll change his tune if he ever gets a sport
aircraft on the line. You frequently find a similar opposition to the
use of automotive fuel from mechanics that have a stake in the sale
of 100LL.

There is another possibility. The flying club that I belong to is also a
flight school. They won't instruct for Sport Pilot for insurance reasons.
Their position is that people with that level of training are likely to be
higher risks, causing more incidents (if not accidents), and thus be a
vulnerability to the club.

Regards,

Neil

Old February 12th 05, 05:44 AM
Geoffrey Barnes

There is another possibility. The flying club that I belong to is also a
flight school. They won't instruct for Sport Pilot for insurance reasons.
Their position is that people with that level of training are likely to be
higher risks, causing more incidents (if not accidents), and thus be a
vulnerability to the club.

That's a good point. Another one concerns radio comms and transponders.
Since my club operates out of a 24-hour Class D airport (AGC) which sits
well within the 30-nm mode C veil for Pittsburgh's Class B, all aircraft
have to be properly equipped. And the sport pilot wannabes would have to be
trained to do radio work. At one point, we had one guy who owned a
LSA-qualified taildragger look into setting up a leasback with us in the
hope of attracting sport pilot students. But he would have had to add an
encoding transponder and probably some basic radio equipement to make it
work at our airport, and he decided not to bother.