Jump Start?

Old February 7th 05, 05:27 PM
Jeffrey

Default Jump Start?

Okay, silly(?) question time:

I have a 1964 Cessna 182 (12v), how do you jump start it if the battery
dies, or should I even attempt it?

Thanks for any advice!
Jeffrey

Old February 7th 05, 06:48 PM
Newps

There's two ways. First look and see if there is a ground service plug.
Mine on my 67 182 is pilots side just forward of the door. If you
don't have the right jumper cables for that plug just use any old jumper
cables and connect right to the battery like in your car. First however
put a charger on the battery for a half hour or so. If your battery is
low enough the alternator won't charge it because an alternator needs to
see a little voltage in the battery before it will even turn itself on.
A few years ago I had a short that caused my master to turn on when
it got wet due to a leak. The T+B gyro ran for 13 hours until the
battery completely died. I flipped the master next time and nothing,
dead silence. I got the lineboy to jumpstart the plane. Somehow when I
turned the avionics master on the radios came on. Then I flew for three
hours and landed for gas. When I turned the master on, nothing.
Jumpstarted it and tried to turn the radios on and nothing, just dead.
This time I put a battery charger on for 30 minutes and then jumpstarted
the plane again. This time the radios came on and after the 2+ hour
flight the battery was charged.

Old February 7th 05, 07:15 PM

Jeffrey wrote:
Okay, silly(?) question time:

I have a 1964 Cessna 182 (12v), how do you jump start it if the

battery
dies, or should I even attempt it?

I used to have to jump my '59 172 every now and then. I just jumped
it the same way as a car. Open the cowl, attach the jumper cables to
the plane's battery, crank the engine, remove the jumper cables. All
of the standard cautions about being near a spinning prop apply.

If your battery is completely dead (i.e. left the master on all
night) and your plane is equipped with an alternator instead of a
generator, you can jump start the engine, but your battery won't start
charging unless you leave the jumper cables attached for awhile after
the engine starts. Alternators require the battery to supply a small
bit of current to power the primary field.

Caveat : Dead batteries do not take well to having a massive charge
delivered all at once, which is what will happen if you try to let the
alternator do the charging. If the battery is totally flat, your best
bet would be to remove it and put it on a battery charger.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)