Icom A6 Radio Registration Problem

Old May 5th 05, 02:07 AM
Clyde Torres

Default Icom A6 Radio Registration Problem

I bought an Icom A6 radio at SnF from Pacific Coast Avionics. I tried to
register it to get the warranty going and to get the rebate. When I try to
do it, it wants to know the "UPC," but it won't take what I give it. What I
give it is a number underneath a piece of paper that someone obviously stuck
on it to keep from reading the UPC. Putting it under a heat lamp, which is
the best source of light I've found to read it, I've typed it in, and it
won't let me register it. I'm beginning to think that Icom purposely put
that piece of paper on there to keep me from registering it and getting my
rebate. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?

Irked Icom A6 Owner,
Clyde Torres

Old May 5th 05, 04:25 AM
Smitty

In article ,
"Clyde Torres" wrote:

I bought an Icom A6 radio at SnF from Pacific Coast Avionics. I tried to
register it to get the warranty going and to get the rebate. When I try to
do it, it wants to know the "UPC," but it won't take what I give it. What I
give it is a number underneath a piece of paper that someone obviously stuck
on it to keep from reading the UPC. Putting it under a heat lamp, which is
the best source of light I've found to read it, I've typed it in, and it
won't let me register it. I'm beginning to think that Icom purposely put
that piece of paper on there to keep me from registering it and getting my
rebate. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?

Irked Icom A6 Owner,
Clyde Torres

Well, if you think you might be misreading the numbers, you can decode
the bars. Try this link to show you how:

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/upc4.htm
Old May 5th 05, 01:40 PM
Denny

Call the vendor who sold it to you... It may be a grey import, if so
there is no registering it, etc... It may be a used radio that was
repaired and resold by the US distributer, ditto, etc...
In any event only the seller can solve this...
denny

Old May 5th 05, 09:32 PM
Dude

"Clyde Torres" wrote in message
. ..
I bought an Icom A6 radio at SnF from Pacific Coast Avionics. I tried to
register it to get the warranty going and to get the rebate. When I try to
do it, it wants to know the "UPC," but it won't take what I give it. What
I give it is a number underneath a piece of paper that someone obviously
stuck on it to keep from reading the UPC. Putting it under a heat lamp,
which is the best source of light I've found to read it, I've typed it in,
and it won't let me register it. I'm beginning to think that Icom
purposely put that piece of paper on there to keep me from registering it
and getting my rebate. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?

Irked Icom A6 Owner,
Clyde Torres

Never buy anything with a rebate offer on it unless you get the rebate at
check out.

If an item is priced at $100 with a $20 rebate, then the item is most likely
only worth $80. So, the time, effort, and risk of the rebate thing is just
a loss on your part. The only way mail in rebates will stop is when people
all start realizing its a sucker bet.

I hope you can get your money, and please tell ICom that you hope they stop
offering rebates that people have to send in for.

Old May 6th 05, 12:21 PM
Steve Foley

I agree with you completely.

If you read the fine print on some of these rebates, they say that
incomplete forms will not be processed, and that you will receive no notice.

This means if they decide they will accept only a nine digit zipcode, they
will throw out your rebate and forget about it.

I figure if there's an item for $100 with a $20 rebate, and a similar item
for $90 without the rebate, I'll go for the $90.

A friend of mine bought an MP3 player for $140 with a $60 rebate. He filled
out the rebate form, and two months later got a check. His wife put it in
her handbag and deposited it a month later. Turns out the check is only good
for 30 days. This cost him a $20 returned check fee. His $80 MP3 player cost
him $160.