Combo Deals -- Do they work?

Old September 25th 05, 07:14 PM
john smith

Do you have a reasonable connection to one of the big hubs
to bring in the foreigners?
Atlanta? Chicago? Detroit? NY? (to name a few).

Now you have hit on one of Iowa's biggest problems... lack of commercial
air service.
Old September 25th 05, 07:17 PM
N93332

"Mike W." wrote in message
How about aircraft care items that are more basic. Oil change, or get your
plane detailed and waxed while you relax? Little stuff, like tire
pressure,
clean the glass, etc. That way it's way more likely to be ready when you
are
ready to go.

Or plugs cleaned and gapped by Jay...

;-)

Old September 25th 05, 08:53 PM
Chris

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote:

Opinions, please!

All of your ideas sound good except the annual inspection. I, for one,
would never do that if I felt there was any chance that the IA might find
something that would keep the plane in the shop and extend my visit. The
single exception to that would be if the shop had a reputation for special
experience with my brand of aircraft; for example, I once considered
flying the Maule down to Moultrie and having the annual done by Maule
Flight.

On the other hand, all it would cost you to try it is a bit of advertising
expense, right?

As far as a training package goes, there are two types that might be big
winners. One would be a basic package slanted towards overseas customers
like some of the Florida schools do. I don't know how practical that would
be for you, but the way the Florida schools do it, someone from, say,
Britain comes over, stays a month or two, and goes back home with a fresh
PPC. IIUC, at least one of those schools can provide an international or
British license, rather than just an FAA certificate.

First there is the Issue of M1 visas, not to mention the TSA. The Florida
schools are usually both FAA and JAA approved and it would be a dumb thing
to only get an FAA certificate when you can pick up a JAR one at the same
time.

If you are looking at foreign pilots without an FAA certificate then a
package which helps then get the FAA certificate (home licence verification
and a trip to the nominated FSDO) along with a BFR and access to a decent
plane to rent might do the trick. In other words make it easy to fly!

There are some foreign pilots who might like to visit other parts of the US
even Iowa. As someone who has flown from Wisconsin to both the east and
west coasts and back that means I know of one, me.
Trip one was September 2004 to the west and trip two was July 2005 to the
east.
Trip three has to be north to south, Wisconsin to Florida and back maybe
July 2006 or it could be along the Canadian border to Seattle or a run
around the Prairie lands (seems a bit dull that) or down into Texas (even
duller).

Personally I have managed to land in 20 different states so far which for an
alien is not too bad. The most memorable fields, Sedona and Everglade City;
the most forgettable, Walla Walla (still not sure which state that was in)
and Worthington, Minnesota.

All it needs is some imagination.

Old September 25th 05, 09:22 PM
Jay Honeck

Now you have hit on one of Iowa's biggest problems... lack of commercial
air service.

Nah, that's Iowa City's problem.

Iowa is (unfortunately for our airport, which had commercial service long
before any of them) amply served by commercial service into Cedar Rapids,
Des Moines, and Moline (Quad Cities)...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 25th 05, 09:26 PM
Jay Honeck

How about putting ads in the Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Quad Cities, etc.,
newspapers with reduced room rates if an intro flight is taken? Guests
can take an intro flight either at IOW or bring a coupon saying they took
one recently someplace for the discount. Say if a room is $75/night
without a intro flight or $65 w/intro flight included, I would take the
intro flight just for the discount.

I personally think that's a great idea, but our local FBO is not keen on
teaching people to fly. For them it's, at best, a break-even business
venture -- or, at least, that's what they like to tell us.

We *do* offer 30 minute flights for up to 3 people for just $75 bucks
through them, which is a GREAT deal nowadays. (It was $60, until the latest
gas price run-up...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 25th 05, 09:26 PM
Jay Honeck

2) Find someone with a taildragger. Create a "taildragger pilot in a
weekend" package. Tailwheel instruction is becoming very hard to find

That's a great idea!

Thanks...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 25th 05, 09:27 PM
Jay Honeck

Or plugs cleaned and gapped by Jay...

;-)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooo....

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 25th 05, 10:28 PM
N93332

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
2) Find someone with a taildragger. Create a "taildragger pilot in a
weekend" package. Tailwheel instruction is becoming very hard to find

That's a great idea!

Besides taildragger, how about HP, complex or other endorsement
opportunities over a weekend? Also set up 'Wings weekends' that pilots
could work on the 3 flight hours for the Wings programs with discounts on a
room and CFI.

Old September 25th 05, 10:44 PM
john smith

Besides taildragger, how about HP, complex or other endorsement
opportunities over a weekend? Also set up 'Wings weekends' that pilots
could work on the 3 flight hours for the Wings programs with discounts on a
room and CFI.

1. I agree, a WINGS WEEKEND program is a good draw for one weekend.
2. State maintenance weekend in collaboration with your local FSDO.
Bring in A&P's, A/I's, manufactureres, vendors, FAA, state aviation
officials. Two days for mechs to get recurrent training credit and
update on the latest rules, regs, SB's, etc. One day set aside for
pilots to attend maintenance seminars.
3. State aviation officials/airport managers conference.