Prop strike effect on resale value?

Old November 23rd 05, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Prop strike effect on resale value?

Ron Natalie wrote:
Mike Spera wrote:

As others have stated, you need to follow the engine manufacturer's
instructions following a prop strike or "sudden engine stoppage".
Usually this calls for inspection of the crank runout at a minimum.
Some call for engine teardown

"Some" includes both Lycoming and Continental.

Ron,

I thought they both had that requirement somewhere, but I was not sure
whether it was binding (via some FAA reg.). Some other fellow posted the
AD for one engine make because of the crank gear. That seems to suggest
that the engine manufacturer's "recommendation" did not have regulatory
weight (or the AD would be unnecessary).

What's up?
Thanks,
Mike
Old November 23rd 05, 06:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 02:36:36 GMT, Mike Spera
wrote:

Ron Natalie wrote:
Mike Spera wrote:

As others have stated, you need to follow the engine manufacturer's
instructions following a prop strike or "sudden engine stoppage".
Usually this calls for inspection of the crank runout at a minimum.
Some call for engine teardown

"Some" includes both Lycoming and Continental.

Ron,

I thought they both had that requirement somewhere, but I was not sure
whether it was binding (via some FAA reg.). Some other fellow posted the
AD for one engine make because of the crank gear. That seems to suggest
that the engine manufacturer's "recommendation" did not have regulatory
weight (or the AD would be unnecessary).

I don't have the papers here now, but it came out as an AD. *Any*
prop strike that takes more than a *minor* dressing requires an engine
teardown for both Lycoming and Continental and the engine does not
need to be developing power, or even running when the strike happens.

As to the original question: for most planes as long as the AD had
been complied with there should be no change in price. Now if you had
a nice new Bo, fresh off the assembly line which lost a quarter (or
more) of it's value when you brought it home, that would be an animal
of a different color.

My engine is near run out. If I had to do a tear down after a strike
it'd probably increase the value considerably. :-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

What's up?
Thanks,
Mike

Old November 24th 05, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Mike Spera wrote:
Ron Natalie wrote:
Mike Spera wrote:

As others have stated, you need to follow the engine manufacturer's
instructions following a prop strike or "sudden engine stoppage".
Usually this calls for inspection of the crank runout at a minimum.
Some call for engine teardown

"Some" includes both Lycoming and Continental.

Ron,

I thought they both had that requirement somewhere, but I was not sure
whether it was binding (via some FAA reg.).

It's not an FAA requirement in most instances. It is however the
manufacturers recommendation in all cases (like TBO).

Why does a prop ice up so apparently readily? Mike Rapoport Piloting 2 November 8th 05 03:52 PM
my ignorance LCT Paintball Home Built 25 April 9th 05 06:54 PM
Prop Strike Query Dick Home Built 12 November 16th 04 03:20 AM
Prop Strike in Milwaukee Ben Smith Piloting 9 October 1st 04 11:21 PM
IVO props... comments.. Dave S Home Built 16 December 7th 03 12:43 AM