Spot tracking consistency

Old June 24th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default Spot tracking consistency

I've been watching some of the Globalstar SPOT tracks from Region 9 in
Parowan. I'm interested in SPOT and think the concept is really great.

However, Monday the Internet server seemed to be down for most of the day so
no tracks were available until after 5PM. Some of the users were getting
tracking reports every ten minutes, some every 20 minutes and others
suffered many hour long gaps. AFAIK all the tracks ended well short of the
gliders landing at Parowan.

This is not encouraging. It's beginning to look like SPOT is spotty.

Bill D

Old June 24th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Jun 24, 7:06*am, "Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote:
I've been watching some of the Globalstar SPOT tracks from Region 9 in
Parowan. *I'm interested in SPOT and think the concept is really great.

However, Monday the Internet server seemed to be down for most of the day so
no tracks were available until after 5PM. *Some of the users were getting
tracking reports every ten minutes, some every 20 minutes and others
suffered many hour long gaps. *AFAIK all the tracks ended well short of the
gliders landing at Parowan.

This is not encouraging. *It's beginning to look like SPOT is spotty.

Bill D

Yes, I think the track functionality is currently a bit spotty, and
can't be completely relied upon. I am sure it will improve. But the OK/
Help/911 functionality is more robust, and justify the small
investment. This would eliminate the need to call Mayday as discussed
in another thread, and will greatly simplify retrieves.

Ramy

Old June 24th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold[_2_]

Ramy wrote:
[...]

I received my SPOT last Thursday, and since then it has had these modes:

1. Everything works fine
2. Webpage doesn't automatically update
3. Get a "script error" message and no points on the webpage
4. Webpage froze computer
5. Webpage not available at all

The good news is that the SPOT unit seems to work fine, and the problems
are with the webpage software. The company is using us as beta testers,
but I suppose that is OK if they end up getting everything working right.

Old June 24th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Jun 24, 3:11*pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
The good news is that the SPOT unit seems to work fine, and the problems
are with the webpage software. *The company is using us as beta testers,
but I suppose that is OK if they end up getting everything working right.

Kinda like the OLC :-)

You should have seen how limited the web page was back in November.
They've made a LOT of progress.

-Tom