Winglets for a Nimbus 2

Old January 12th 19, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Winglets for a Nimbus 2

I recently purchased a Nimbus 2 ,before the naysayers get started ,I have over 1000 hours of which 70 hours in all flying tails, 450 hours on a kestrel 17 with a drag chute which I used regularly.
The only only issue I have is that I would like the handling to be a bit more responsive, fitting her with a set of winglets would help.
There is no approved mod from the factory for the installation of winglets on a Nimbus2, almost all other models but not the Nimbus2.
Worldwide there are large number of the model flying with winglets.
The CAA here will not approve installation unless they have full documentation,
My request is that owners with wingleted Nimbus2's have a look at their approval documents and installation drawings and calculation sheets to see where I can get
duplicates of the information, who approved it, to enable a grandfather process to satisfy the CAA here .
Any help would be appreciated

please email info to gfoneill at xtra dot co dot nz
Old January 14th 19, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Holroyd[_2_]

At 20:05 12 January 2019, wrote:
[...]

I had a set fitted to my '2 some 17 years ago.This was pre-EASA and
probably not allowed now in the U.K.
The process involved cutting off the tip and fitting a winglet which
included a new tip.

The winglet was based on that fitted to a Discus A/B and works well.She now
needs less rudder in turns and the glide angle appears slightly better and,
no, I'm not trying to justify fitting them.

Hope this helps, Bob H

Old January 14th 19, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 4:15:06 AM UTC+13, Bob Holroyd wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply, I am aware of the better handling and slightly better L/D
the issue is in the paperwork ,CAA wants the docs particularly of the Company or
the Engineer who did the design and calculations certified the structure was able to take all loads and had it approved via their own countries CAA.
From that approval trail it can be forwarded to my CAA, hopefully to be grandfathered into an installation here on my Nimbus 2
Gary
Old January 14th 19, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

GIW has winglets I think. You could ask Jono.

Old January 15th 19, 01:25 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
[...]

Hi Gary

Have you tried talking with David Moody? He's been involved in a few winglet mod projects and may be able to offer some guidance. BTW which Nimbus did you end up with?

:-) Colin
Old January 15th 19, 07:22 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline

http://rcawsey.co.uk/ZK-GIW.jpg
Old January 15th 19, 08:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 9:05:20 AM UTC+13, wrote:
[...]

For those that asked I purchased GKV ,ship good ,panel old but working ,trailer a mess ,spent last 3 weeks full time rebuilding it ,my new LX Navigation ERA 80
flight computer,AHRS and new joystick have just arrived, have sourced all parts and assembling my own design 2 axis remote controlled one man rig system.

Winglets for Nimbus 4D Jonathan St. Cloud Soaring 1 May 19th 15 07:26 AM
Nimbus 3D winglets Ventus_a Soaring 5 September 3rd 13 09:42 PM
winglets bagmaker Soaring 25 March 3rd 06 11:39 PM
Winglets on a Asw-27a KP Soaring 1 May 27th 05 01:18 PM
winglets for LS-1 Brad Soaring 4 October 26th 04 06:11 PM