Reachable landing sites in iGlide

Old February 7th 17, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Reachable landing sites in iGlide

On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 1:44:51 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
XCSoar is an open source program with programmers around the world.
There's also a user forum and a facility to log problems which are then
fixed and updates released on the Google Play Store. On the very rare
occasion when I've had a problem, it's been quickly addressed and
usually was my fault. A quick look in the user manual usually has the
answer. Go to https://xcsoar.org/ and have a look around. There's no
obligation.

I'm not associated with them in any way, but I have used the program for
the past 5 years and have been very impressed with it.

Dan

On 2/7/2017 11:03 AM, wrote:
Dan
I am not a computer geek so am a bit concerned that xcsoar has no parents....
Did you/do you have any problems with support ?
Dan
On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 12:36:51 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
snip
It might sound completely crazy, but how about using a dedicated device in the glider?
Jim
/snip

What a concept! Considering you can now find a Dell Streak 5 on eBay
for under $50 (I've seen them as low as $15), and it's daylight
readable, and XCSoar is free and doesn't do all the bad things I'm
reading about iGlide, and it's continually maintained and updated, and
it has a nearly 200 page user's manual... Then you can turn off your
phone so that, should you land or bail out, you'll have a charged phone
to call for help. Maybe not so crazy...
--
Dan, 5J

--
Dan, 5J

Hold on Dan. This is a thread about iGlide which you have stated you have no experience using. Show some respect to the OP buy not "hyjacking" his interest. If you want to chat up XCSoar and the Dell Streak, start your own thread.
Old February 7th 17, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 10:44:08 AM UTC-8, wrote:
If I use an iPhone 6 plus and not upgrade the OS (it's and old phone ?) I shouldn't have these problems ? it's a question and a wish as well...
Dan
On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 7:52:31 PM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:
On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 4:17:27 PM UTC-8, Casey wrote:
If you are going with iGlide, be aware that many of the configurable features are hidden in the xml files of the app. They are easily editable, but iGlide has no published documentation for them. Also, to get routes, you need the Adv version, and to get configurable turn points for racing, you need the pro version. If you need assistance email me and I will try to help.

In my opinion (remember, everyone has one...) iGlide is far easier to use than SYM - or any of the others. I own and have flown extensively with XCSoar, SYM, and Winpilot, often 2 at a time.

I like iGlide but I keep having to reinstall "Aeronautical Data", "Map Data", "Flight Parameters", and "Flight Recorder" information. Airglide said its because I do not have enough memory remaining on phone, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

I have not had to replace the files, except after certain iOS updates. There have been two that have wiped one or more of the data files that iGlide uses, while perhaps 10 or 12 others have not. I don't know why the difference. I do have sufficient memory left. I am running it in two phones, a 5s and a 6 Plus. It is possible to back up and reinstall the files from iTunes without having to download them again if this happens. The only ones that are very large are the terrain maps, and they are very large indeed.

It isn't really much of a problem. I have been running iGlide on two iPhones for 4 years now, and have upgraded the OS on both with every new release. This has broken iGlide a couple of times, each time easily fixed. But certainly with any computer, leaving it alone is the best insurance against problems. Since both the program itself, and all of the associated files can be downloaded via WiFi or cellular data it is generally easy to maintain.
Old February 7th 17, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 9:03:40 PM UTC+3, wrote:
Dan
I am not a computer geek so am a bit concerned that xcsoar has no parents....
Did you/do you have any problems with support ?

If you'd ever seen the inside of any commercial software company, you wouldn't ask such a question!!

Anything that is developed and supported by its own users will very quickly attain higher quality than something that is pushed out the door when some manager says it's time, and assigns the programmers to a new project.

Companies die or simply abandon products more regularly and with far more finality than user-supported projects.

Only the very largest companies can afford the expense of doing things better than user communities -- Microsoft, Apple, Intel, Google. And even they lean to a very large degree on community-supported projects.
Old February 7th 17, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 9:36:51 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
snip
It might sound completely crazy, but how about using a dedicated device in the glider?
Jim

/snip

What a concept! Considering you can now find a Dell Streak 5 on eBay
for under $50 (I've seen them as low as $15), and it's daylight
readable, and XCSoar is free and doesn't do all the bad things I'm
reading about iGlide, and it's continually maintained and updated, and
it has a nearly 200 page user's manual... Then you can turn off your
phone so that, should you land or bail out, you'll have a charged phone
to call for help. Maybe not so crazy...
--
Dan, 5J

The 2 main advantages of XCSoar is that it is free, and it runs on several platforms. The main advantage of iGlide is that it is better in most other respects, but particularly UI.

Now that's my opinion and as I said, everybody has one. I have many, many cross country hours flying with both XCSoar and iGlide, including more than a few flights with both side-by-side, so I am not speaking from ignorance of one or the other. The thermal assistant in XCSoar is perhaps overall a little more useful than iGlide, but neither are even close to the old Winpilot (which the new Winpilot does not have).
Old February 7th 17, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

I like thermal assistant in iGlide better than my LXNav s100.

I bought a iPad mini 4 to dedicate to just soaring but the screen was not quite as bright as my iPhone 6s Plus. The problems I've had with iGlide have been self induced for the most part. And the little bit of reconfiguring after loss of parameters is not that big a deal. I may dedicate this iPhone to soaring but has been one less item on check list and one less item to charge up.
Old February 7th 17, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Casey wrote on 2/7/2017 2:07 PM:
I like thermal assistant in iGlide better than my LXNav s100.

I bought a iPad mini 4 to dedicate to just soaring but the screen was not quite as bright as my iPhone 6s Plus.

Was "not quite as bright" acceptable? My older iPad mini isn't quite
bright enough to use in my Phoenix, but I do like the bigger screen over
my iPhone 6 (not an S).

email me)

Old February 7th 17, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Just what I've read in this thread: OS upgrades breaking it or forcing
reloading of the databases, and having to buy increasingly expensive
versions to get more functionality. I also question the sunlight
readability of the iPhone, but I've never actually looked at one. My
experience with my Motorola Android phone is that it's pathetic in
sunlight. The Streak is readable in direct sunlight due to its TFT display.

On 2/7/2017 11:03 AM, wrote:
[...]

Dan, what are all the "bad things" you're reading about iGlide?

Just curious
Craig
7Q

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 8th 17, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

The iPhone is nothing like any other phone that I have seen in direct sun light. The mini pad 4 was not as bright but I only tried once. I wanted a larger screen due to on the verg of having to wear glasses. I think I may try an extra extension to bring the iPhone closer to me. I also was thinking about making a sun screen for the mini pad but have not yet. I'm also using bad elf with my iPhone and I had a connect problem with the mini so that is another reason I have not pursued more. But I plan too.

iPhone use to not be sun light readable and I amagine they will continue to improve faster than any other off the shelf glider display.
Old February 8th 17, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 4:45:15 PM UTC-8, Casey wrote:
The iPhone is nothing like any other phone that I have seen in direct sun light. The mini pad 4 was not as bright but I only tried once. I wanted a larger screen due to on the verg of having to wear glasses. I think I may try an extra extension to bring the iPhone closer to me. I also was thinking about making a sun screen for the mini pad but have not yet. I'm also using bad elf with my iPhone and I had a connect problem with the mini so that is another reason I have not pursued more. But I plan too.

iPhone use to not be sun light readable and I amagine they will continue to improve faster than any other off the shelf glider display.

Why the Bad Elf with the iPhone? Both my 5s and my 6 Plus work fine from the built in GPS. In fact the 6 Plus, with its built in barometrics, makes quite a decent stand alone glide computer. Better still if you connect it up to your variometer, but very good all by itself.

iGlide Ben S Soaring 31 February 16th 20 04:14 AM
iGlide runner4065 Soaring 19 March 28th 16 11:12 PM
Iglide chris johnson Soaring 2 August 1st 15 03:22 PM
iGlide Mike Rinaldi Soaring 4 April 28th 15 12:48 AM
iglide [email protected] Soaring 1 June 2nd 13 05:07 PM