Was British soldiers crying like babies! now medals.

Old July 1st 03, 12:03 AM
Sunny

Default Was British soldiers crying like babies! now medals.

"Andrew Chaplin" wrote in message
Sunny wrote:

"Andrew Chaplin" wrote in message
Wearing other peoples' medals is damn bad form. Australians who
do it outside of the Antipodes are snickered at.

By whom? you?

Quite a few. Wearing others' medals just is not done in North America
and the U.K.
http://entertainment.iafrica.com/news/255842.htm

Wearing a dead relations medals, on the right breast at
rememberance ceromonies is a mark of respect. Anyone who snickers at it

is
an arsehole.

Wearing dead peoples' medals when there is no authority to do so from
the fons honorum is disrespectful.

Attendance and participation is sufficient. If you want to wear
medals, earn and wear your own.

Only in your opinion, if it's accepted practice in a country, so be it.
(BTW I personally have earned and wear my own)
Nothing wrong with a young child proudly wearing his dads medals, on his
right breast.

Old July 1st 03, 11:53 AM
Andrew Chaplin

Sunny wrote:

Only in your opinion, if it's accepted practice in a country, so be it.
(BTW I personally have earned and wear my own)
Nothing wrong with a young child proudly wearing his dads medals, on his
right breast.

It's not just my opinion, it's the law here. Here's the FAQ on the
matter on the Department of National Defence site:
http://www.dnd.ca/hr/dhh/engraph/faq...onawa&FaqID=25.
Here is the applicable section:
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-46/41...ml#section-419. It's only a
summary conviction offence, but still a criminal matter. I believe
there is a similar proscription in the UK, but I not accustomed to
navigating their government sites, and some of their reference
material is not yet on line.

It's fine for the Australians to go around wearing the medals
Australia handed out; I do not dispute that the practices of the Queen
of Australia as a fons honorum can and may be different from those of
the Queen of the UK or the Queen of Canada, even though she is the
same woman in all three cases. Where I take issue is with the wearing
of honours such as the OBE, where the fons is the Queen of the UK, and
contrary to the practices laid down in or associated with the warrant
establishing it.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old July 1st 03, 03:03 PM
L'acrobat

Sunny wrote:

[...]

You mean the Queen of Australia who is the fons and since the Queen of
Australia gave a decoration to an Australian, under Australian law and
usages Mr Crowe has every right to wear his granfathers OBE, if you have a
problem with it, address your whining to the Queen of Australia, no doubt
she will pass it on to Guy Green, (the acting GG and quite a nice bloke to
have a drink with) who will advise her to tell you to mind your own
business.

Old July 1st 03, 06:11 PM
Joe Osman

Andrew Chaplin wrote:

Sunny wrote:

[...]

The Brit newspapers need a refresher course on all this
apparently. A while back, the Australian PM placed his hand
on the Queen of Australia's back. Some British tabloid had a
picture with the large caption "Keep your hands off our
Queen!"

Joe

Old July 1st 03, 09:01 PM
Richard Brooks

"Joe Osman" wrote in message
Andrew Chaplin wrote:

Sunny wrote:

Only in your opinion, if it's accepted practice in a country, so be

it.
(BTW I personally have earned and wear my own)
Nothing wrong with a young child proudly wearing his dads medals, on

his
right breast.

It's not just my opinion, it's the law here. Here's the FAQ on the
matter on the Department of National Defence site:
http://www.dnd.ca/hr/dhh/engraph/faq...onawa&FaqID=25.
Here is the applicable section:
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-46/41...ml#section-419. It's only a
summary conviction offence, but still a criminal matter. I believe
there is a similar proscription in the UK, but I not accustomed to

[snipped]
[...]

I thought it was "where's me bleedin' wallet?" ;-)

Richard.

Old July 1st 03, 11:28 PM
Sunny

Sunny wrote:

[...]

The original mention was of Service Medals, and that is all I am referring
to.
As for the "OBE", I personally couldn't care less who wears it.

Old July 2nd 03, 12:37 AM
L'acrobat

Sunny wrote:

Only in your opinion, if it's accepted practice in a country, so be it.
(BTW I personally have earned and wear my own)
Nothing wrong with a young child proudly wearing his dads medals, on his
right breast.

It's not just my opinion, it's the law here. Here's the FAQ on the
matter on the Department of National Defence site:
http://www.dnd.ca/hr/dhh/engraph/faq...onawa&FaqID=25.
Here is the applicable section:
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-46/41...ml#section-419. It's only a
summary conviction offence, but still a criminal matter.

Not according to the expert in your reference

http://entertainment.iafrica.com/news/255842.htm

Clive Cheesman of the British College of Arms told the magazine: "It's not a
criminal offense"

However, lets recap your whining for clarity.

You are upset that an Australian wore a decoration whilst in the USA that
was awarded to an Australian (his grandfather) by the Queen of Australia,
according to Australian law and usages in such a fashion as to not comply
with UK usages.

While you were checking did you look to see how Crowes wearing of the medal
stood up under Russian law?, Turkish?, Sharia?, Chinese? or any other laws
or usages that do not in any way apply to this case?