AWOS

Old January 2nd 05, 01:51 AM

Default AWOS

A friend of mine just gave me a toll free number to obtain AWOS at any
airport.

Just call +1 (877) 269-2967, and key in the airport identifier when
requested.

It requires listening to a commercial, but it's a quick and easy way
to get an AWOS report.

Old January 2nd 05, 03:23 PM
Randy

It's easier to remember as 877 any-awos. I've got it programmed into
the cell phone and it makes the last minute check of the conditions as
I drive to the airport easy.

Old January 2nd 05, 06:53 PM
kage

"Randy" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's easier to remember as 877 any-awos. I've got it programmed into
the cell phone and it makes the last minute check of the conditions as
I drive to the airport easy.

It would be nice if after listening to all the ads on any-awos, if they
actually connected one to the chosen AWOS. But, in my case, I merely got
disconnected.

TERRIBLE service. Anyway, long distance is free on my cell phone. There is a
listing of AWOS phone numbers somewhere on the web, but I can't find it now.

If you are using your cell phone out of your service area, you will, in many
cases be connected to your home FSS. For instance, we are in Tererboro and
call 800-992-7433, I'll get the Seattle FSS. Here are the discrete numbers
to prevent that.

http://www.faa.gov/ats/oakaifss/AFSSTFree.htm

Karl
"Curator"
N185KG

Old January 2nd 05, 10:55 PM
J Haggerty

kage wrote:

TERRIBLE service. Anyway, long distance is free on my cell phone. There is a
listing of AWOS phone numbers somewhere on the web, but I can't find it now.

That site with the AWOS sites can be found at
http://www.faa.gov/asos/map/map.htm
Those sites with hyperlinks under the airport ID can be read on the web.
The A/FD also has the direct numbers for the different FSS's.

JPH
Old January 3rd 05, 12:30 AM
Stan Prevost

Those are like once per hour readings. The advantage of the telephone
connection is current reading.