XM Weather - Sirius merger with XM Radio

Old March 2nd 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy N5804F

Default XM Weather - Sirius merger with XM Radio

Sirius is making headway in merging with XM Radio.
No one seemed to be asking at the Anti Trust hearing whether or not Sirius
will continue to maintain the XM aviation weather services.
Or if they do, at what cost to the users ?
I would imagine that this will be another User Fee that is going to affect
our costs of flying safely.

--
Roy
Piper Archer N5804F

Old March 2nd 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave S

Roy N5804F wrote:

Sirius is making headway in merging with XM Radio.
No one seemed to be asking at the Anti Trust hearing whether or not Sirius
will continue to maintain the XM aviation weather services.
Or if they do, at what cost to the users ?
I would imagine that this will be another User Fee that is going to affect
our costs of flying safely.

Oh.. gosh.. I guess we can just go back to how it was a few years ago,
where we had to fly without real-time in-cockpit weather on a MFD. Oh..
wait.. thats how I fly now.

I dont see any change to the cost of my flying, since I don't use their
product. Safety is in the eye of the beholder.
Old March 2nd 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dan Luke

"Dave S" wrote:

Oh.. gosh.. I guess we can just go back to how it was a few years ago,
where we had to fly without real-time in-cockpit weather on a MFD.

God forbid!

Now that I've seen the Promised Land, I NEVER want to go back.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old March 2nd 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Marco Leon

"Roy N5804F" wrote in message
news

Sirius is making headway in merging with XM Radio.
No one seemed to be asking at the Anti Trust hearing whether or not Sirius
will continue to maintain the XM aviation weather services.
Or if they do, at what cost to the users ?
I would imagine that this will be another User Fee that is going to affect
our costs of flying safely.

If the XM Weather product has a sound business model, why would they get rid
of it? They could change the pricing but XM could do the same thing. As far
as I know, Sirius didn't have any competing products.

Marco

Old March 3rd 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roger[_4_]

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 02:45:55 GMT, "Roy N5804F"
wrote:

Sirius is making headway in merging with XM Radio.
No one seemed to be asking at the Anti Trust hearing whether or not Sirius
will continue to maintain the XM aviation weather services.
Or if they do, at what cost to the users ?
I would imagine that this will be another User Fee that is going to affect
our costs of flying safely.

"I think", which of course means I don't know for sure, but I think
the merger "IF it goes through with the FCC's blessing which I don't
think they have yet" would merely be a consolidation which would
eliminate duplicate services and possibly non profitable ones as well,
but that would happen whether they merge or not. So for the time being
I'd not be too concerned about XM weather.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old March 5th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

On 3/2/2007 11:10:45 AM, "Dan Luke" wrote:

Now that I've seen the Promised Land, I NEVER want to go back.

Around these northeast US parts, the saying is more like this: Once you have
sex you can never go back to holding hands.

--
Peter
Old March 11th 07, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Judah

"Roy N5804F" wrote in newsdMFh.7884
:

Sirius is making headway in merging with XM Radio.
No one seemed to be asking at the Anti Trust hearing whether or not Sirius
will continue to maintain the XM aviation weather services.
Or if they do, at what cost to the users ?
I would imagine that this will be another User Fee that is going to affect
our costs of flying safely.

The way I see it, Sirius has superior programming, and XM has superior
marketing and distribution. That said, I doubt Sirius will just shut down XM
altogether - too much equipment out there to make that possible. Especially
where XM has unique programming that Sirius doesn't have (ie: Aviation
Weather).

I do rather hope that they put that new wave station on XM, since my car gets
XM and the new wave stations on XM are pretty bad.

Sirius and XM merger? Blueskies Piloting 32 March 3rd 07 06:22 PM
WSI weather on Sirius sat radio John Doe Piloting 2 February 8th 06 09:52 PM
Aviation weather using XM radio Eric Greenwell Soaring 6 December 4th 05 07:55 AM
XM or Sirius Radio? Jay Honeck Owning 35 June 26th 04 11:20 PM
Satellite Radio to broadcast weather data Richard Kaplan Instrument Flight Rules 6 July 4th 03 06:30 PM