Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

Old August 30th 18, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Default Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

In the last east issue of Gliding Australia there is an incident report shown below.
During the course of a cross country flight, the pilot elected to start the jet sustainer to self retrieve.
The engine started normally, and the pilot tracked for the home airflield The engine failed catastrophically
830ft. AGL and a safe outlanding was conducted.
Things that make you go hmmmm...
Old August 30th 18, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well the engines are just slightly larger versions of model aircraft engines anyway. That should make anyone go “hmm”
Old August 30th 18, 07:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le jeudi 30 août 2018 06:37:11 UTC+2, kinsell a écrit*:

Actually was a JS1. What i've observed from people flying at a 6000 ft
msl airport is those engines will start on the ground, but not in the
air. Makes for a poor sustainer, if you ask me.

Nonsense.

Old August 30th 18, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 08/30/2018 12:54 AM, Tango Whisky wrote:
Le jeudi 30 août 2018 06:37:11 UTC+2, kinsell a écrit*:

Actually was a JS1. What i've observed from people flying at a 6000 ft
msl airport is those engines will start on the ground, but not in the
air. Makes for a poor sustainer, if you ask me.

Nonsense.

Thank you Mr Anonymous Tango Whisky for your thoughtful in-depth
analysis of the situation. I'm sure every JS1 owner who has ever had
engine start problems greatly appreciates your input. It's people like
you who make R.A.S. such a wonderful community, where information can be
freely exchanged without being rudely interrupted by ignorant bozos, who
can't believe a problem exists unless they personally have experienced it.
Old August 30th 18, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

My name is Bert Willing, and your post was nonsense. I know quite a couple of jet owners, and they never had a problem of starting their engins attention altitude.
Old August 30th 18, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Correct, my apologies, it was a JS1.
I know a bloke with 3 jets on an ASW20, self launches, goes rather well, and no problems yet...
Old August 30th 18, 08:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Borgelt[_2_]

On Thursday, 30 August 2018 12:46:35 UTC+10, Charlie Quebec wrote:
In the last east issue of Gliding Australia there is an incident report shown below.
During the course of a cross country flight, the pilot elected to start the jet sustainer to self retrieve.
The engine started normally, and the pilot tracked for the home airflield The engine failed catastrophically
830ft. AGL and a safe outlanding was conducted.
Things that make you go hmmmm...

These "model aircraft engines" are used by professional drone operators for various militaries. About 10 or so years ago I visited one of those operations and the engineers were very happy with the jets compared to the two strokes they were also using. They reckoned there were fewer parts than in the carburetors of the two strokes.
Don't forget that the Solo company makes aero engines ... and garden equipment, so your Solo engined glider has an engine derived from lawnmower and leaf blower
technology and is made by a company that makes those.

I heard about that incident some months ago if it is the same one. The whole thing was triggered when farmer brought in the entire back end of the engine to one of the commercial operators at Tocumwal saying he thought it was off one of the gliders.
The guy running the op was hangaring two of those JS1s so he checked and they were OK. Called the other guy and when they opened the engine bay sure enough, no back end... also no front end, which the farmer brought in a couple of days later.
Way to go - have a flame out and don't even do a post flight inspection. Any bets on a daily inspection before next flight?

The jets are vulnerable to dirt in the fuel as the bearing lubrication is fuel/oil bleed off the main fuel supply. Complete cleanliness and some attention to the design of the fueling system is required.

Mind you there was a very hard landing of a JS jet earlier this year and the jet battery wasn't even plugged in. Some question about the pilot's brain too.

Mind you I don't have a problem with Solo engines either. I recently spent a couple of days de-bugging a Solo 2625-02i that had failed 8 months before.. Found the problem and fixed it and I now understand that system. It is pretty good IMO.

If we are talking operations at 6000msl, the "turbos" may start at that altitude but are not all that likely to have a significant rate of climb on a hot day. I once test flew a new Discus bT on a hot day and it had trouble at 4000 msl.
Old August 30th 18, 10:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Also the M+D jet is not a model engine and wasn't based on one. It was designed built and certified as an aircraft jet turbine by a certified manufacturer.
Old August 30th 18, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And another thing:

Regarding starting the JS1 jet at altitude - I found that the jet was unreliable in low temperatures in the UK on ordinary diesel fuel but worked fine on Jet A1. In South Africa with a ground level of 4500 and high temperatures mine was very reluctant to start on Jet A1 at any altitude in flight. The JS factory suggested I use synthetic (gas to oil) premium diesel like Shell V Power Nitro diesel and my jet loved it in both climates. Started first time up to 9500 asl which was the highest I tested it and never failed to start on it.