New Monroy ATD-300 Traffic Watch

Old October 25th 03, 09:11 AM
MikeremlaP

Default New Monroy ATD-300 Traffic Watch

http://www.monroyaero.com/trafficwatch.html

Interesting, especially in light of the recent discussions we've been having.

Hope this helps,

Mike Palmer
Excellence in Ergonomics

Old October 27th 03, 02:45 PM
James M. Knox

(MikeremlaP) wrote in
:

http://www.monroyaero.com/trafficwatch.html

Interesting, especially in light of the recent discussions we've been
having.

Yes, it is. It also brings back memories of Osborne Computer Company. The
company was a major player (in its day), and doing great. So great, in
fact, that at a big computer conference the owner got up to speak and
talked about all the neat things that were *coming soon.* Included in
that, a new model with a lot more features at basically the same price.

Company was out of business before it hit the streets. Sales went to ZERO
while everyone waited for this hot new product.

Given the promise of a LOT more features in this ATD-300, I am surprised
that they didn't either predict a much higher price, or delay announcement
until they were ready to ship. I wonder if it means that new orders for
the ATD-200 had already pretty much gone away.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721
Old October 30th 03, 06:18 PM
MikeremlaP

Given the promise of a LOT more features in this ATD-300, I am surprised
that they didn't either predict a much higher price, or delay announcement
until they were ready to ship.

I could see myself making this marketing mistake. Could come under the heading
of "Nice guys finish last." (In this world.)

I know how much I dislike it after buying a product only to find a new, better
version came out a day later. So, per the Golden Rule, I'd probably tell a
prospective customer, "You know, if you just wait a while, I'm coming out with
a version 2." I suppose, if one were going to do this, the smart thing to do
would be to lower the price on the now obsolete version to keep some cash flow
going or at least clear inventory. When car manufacturers introduced new
models annually, this was the model they used.

He might have announced prematurely to hold SureCheck purchasers at bay... if a
guy was going to cut a check today for a VRX, he might be willing to wait a
month to see if the ATD-300 is better. Certainly the price is lower than the
VRX, and given SureCheck's prior reputation...

If sales of the -200 had trickled to nothing (and how many units of anything in
GA does anyone sell per month?) then he had nothing to lose and maybe this is
genius. I hear from a very reliable source that pre-pro units are flying. If
he ships in December, he's only lost a month (or less) of sales.

I'm eagerly awaiting some reviews.

Mike Palmer
Excellence in Ergonomics

Old October 31st 03, 10:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

MikeremlaP,

He might have announced prematurely to hold SureCheck purchasers at bay... if a
guy was going to cut a check today for a VRX, he might be willing to wait a
month to see if the ATD-300 is better.

I think you done broke the code... ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 3rd 03, 03:33 PM
Jack Cunniff

MikeremlaP,

http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilber...-20031012.html

Old November 3rd 03, 08:59 PM
SeeAndAvoid

I'm getting pretty tired of waiting for a VRX available to buy. I called
the company about 3 weeks ago, said they were shipping them out in a couple
days to various major avionics shops. I called those shops, they sort of
laughed and said maybe in 3 weeks. Still not there. As of today I got the
'any day now'. So I'm on that list of waiting a little longer to see the
Monroy, I've waited this long, why not.
Chris

Old November 4th 03, 09:01 AM
Thomas Borchert

SeeAndAvoid,

So how do the two compare in your view?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 6th 03, 01:35 AM
SeeAndAvoid

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
SeeAndAvoid,
So how do the two compare in your view?

Hard to say until the Monroy actually is out and being used. Same with this
other one, Proxalert, I'm sure both will do all the manufacturer says, but
I'd feel better after it's out and in use. Here, Surecheck (Trafficscope)
has the edge, even though right now they are hard to find. At least they've
been released and people have been fairly happy with them from what I've
heard.

Antenna - if the Monroy uses the same large antenna, the Surecheck model
wins here with the small stubby one (external installation).

Display - Monroy's is simple, which in avionics might be a good thing.
Surecheck uses an up/down arrow for position, Monroy uses a +/-. Surechecks
LCD and night backlighting looks nice, especially the backlit buttons -
Monroy, cant yet tell backlighting of buttons, display looks fine, and alot
like a Ryan TCAD. Surechecks has a multiple target indicator, Monroys
doesnt. Surechecks has radar/tcas display, Monroy doesnt. Surechecks has
ModeS display, Monroy doesnt. The menu for setting it up looks better on
Surechecks, from what is known of Monroys, which is admittedly not much.

I think I'll stop there as Surecheck has the big advantage of a much more
informative website, especially the pdf file at
http://surecheck.net/five/pdf/VRX_1-0-1_Full.pdf
Monroys website never had nearly the info even on their older unit, and
Proxalert looks like it was written in another language then translated,
just my observation. Where is it made by the way? When's it coming out?
Is it ONLY for installed use, or portable also? The multiple a/c readout is
nice, I guess, but Surechecks way of showing it works just as good for me.
The actual beacon code? Not worth spending any money on.

Speaking of money, Surechecks can be had for less than the list price of
$1195 - at Pacific Coast Avionics and a couple other places, like $200 less.
Which is still $200 more than Monroys. Proxalert at $1499, thats alot.

There's some of my opinions on these units. Maybe I won't wait for the
Monroy after all.

Chris

Old November 6th 03, 08:49 AM
Thomas Borchert

SeeAndAvoid,

Surechecks has a multiple target indicator, Monroys
doesnt.

Monroy is supposed to alternate display between targets if nothing is closer
than 2nm. If one is closer, it will focus on that.

Surechecks has radar/tcas display, Monroy doesnt. Surechecks has
ModeS display, Monroy doesnt.

Who has the time to look at all those indications when there is traffic
around? I just don't need to know that stuff. Monroy had an S-mode
indicator, and this must be the reason it got dropped.

As for the Proxalert, it is French. From my view, it displays a ton of info
that's not needed when you're talking about a gadget that's supposed to help
you find traffic VISUALLY!

You forgot to mention one thing: Price! The Monroy is a very clear winner
there - with nearly the same capability as the Surecheck. Isn't it?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 10th 03, 05:38 PM
Thierry

Hello all,

Just for the fairness of the discussion, Thomas distributes the Monroy
device in Germany and asked me to distribute Proxalert a month and a
half ago ...

I do manage ProXalert. R5 development was done in Europe but ProXalert
is a US based company.

I'm please to confirm our new price of 1195 USD.

Look what you get to realize the small price difference :

1) Only device monitoring up to 10 threats and displaying up to 3
threats
SIMULTANEOUSLY. No uncertain evaluation changing every time.

2) Only device to provide vertical trend information. You immediatly
see if traffic is climbing, descending or levelling.

3) Only device to see traffic up to 10 Nm away.

4) Only device to provide the threat squawk. The info seems rich but
you will immediately see and precisely follow traffic.
No risk to mix traffic is busy area.

5) Only device to integrate a programmable cruise altitude alerter.

6) Lowest power consumption of the three devices : 1 watts typical
compared to
2.5 watts for the Monroy and 5 to 12 watts for the Surecheck
Exellent for glider application ! The unit operates from a small
solar
panel. (Day flight only )

7) Can see traffic up to FL430 useful if you want to use the unit at
home as
a small radar station. Hobbyist applications.

8) Only device to display threat altitude in absolute MSL or relative
your own altitude. Programmable thru menu.

9) Only device to rank threat based on distance or altitude.
Programmable
thru menu.

10) Only device to support firmware upgrade by customer using a simple
personnal computer. You always get the latest enhancement for free
without having to bring the unit back to the dealer.
No product integrating software is bug free but some like the R5
is
easy to upgrade some aren't.

11) Only device to send traffic data information thru it COM port.
Automatic tower application for remote airfield !

12) Field calibration : Use our utility to compensate for coaxial
cable
attenuation in fixed installation. up to 4 db by 0.4 db.

In conclusion for a little more money you can get a professionnel
grade unit
at still a very competitive price compared to other professionnal
devices.

The ProXalert R5 unit is available NOW.

Terry

ProXalert Director

www.ProXalert.com

Monroy and Surecheck are trademark owned by their respective owner.