Tie Wrap on Ventus Fin???

Old March 28th 08, 12:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

Default Tie Wrap on Ventus Fin???

I've got a Ventus b. On the top of the fin (under the horizontal
stabilizer) is a single tie wrap that appears to hold something to the
underside. Just curious, anyone know what that item might be? Seems to
high to be a support for the TE probe tubing. There is no tail tank
installed. Antenna perhaps???
Old March 28th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 28, 5:19�am, Gary Emerson wrote:
I've got a Ventus b. �On the top of the fin (under the horizontal
stabilizer) is a single tie wrap that appears to hold something to the
underside. �Just curious, anyone know what that item might be? �Seems to
high to be a support for the TE probe tubing. �There is no tail tank
installed. �Antenna perhaps???

It could easly be to support the TE tubing. Normally the tubing is
routed up from the mount and then back down through the fin. This
upward route is to prevent water from getting into the tube. If the
water has to go up as soon as it gets into the mount then it is not
likely to accumulate in the tubing.

Robert Mudd
Moriarty, New Mexico
Old March 28th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Smielkiewicz[_2_]

It holds a "spare" tube- it is not connected to anything, just tied.
That is if your probe is a twin probe.

Andy

Old March 29th 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

wrote in message
On Mar 28, 5:19?am, Gary Emerson wrote:
I've got a Ventus b. ?On the top of the fin (under the horizontal
stabilizer) is a single tie wrap that appears to hold something to the
underside. ?Just curious, anyone know what that item might be? ?Seems to
high to be a support for the TE probe tubing. ?There is no tail tank
installed. ?Antenna perhaps???

It could easly be to support the TE tubing. Normally the tubing is
routed up from the mount and then back down through the fin. This
upward route is to prevent water from getting into the tube. If the
water has to go up as soon as it gets into the mount then it is not
likely to accumulate in the tubing.

Robert Mudd
Moriarty, New Mexico

ah, that makes sense - probably holds two in my case as I have two
"open" tubes going into the tail...
Old March 30th 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Smielkiewicz[_2_]

One can install a "triple probe" socket there. I did that few years ago. Can
be done withought cutting holes, through the top, but it is a VERY hard
work. If you are willing to cut a 3-4" hole in the side of your vertical
stab it is very easy. Erwin Salzinger makes great triple probes and sockets
as well.

Andy
"Gary Emerson" wrote in message
. net...