First flight in our "new" Ercoupe...

Old June 29th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

Default First flight in our "new" Ercoupe...

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
A few months ago a group of us "pilots with kids" realized that our
pilot-rated children could no longer afford to fly even the clapped-out
rental 150s at our local FBO. Over a few beers, we started plotting a way
to help.

snip

That's a great story and a nice little project. I don't have much time in
an Ercoupe, but my first flight in one definitely changed my impression of
them.

As far as the starter goes, a lot of pre-60's model aircraft have those
types of starters. They are actually kind of nice because instead of having
a starter solenoid, you provide that function by pulling out the starter
knob. It's one less thing to go wrong, although sometimes you need to make
minor adjustments to the linkage to get it to work right.

Old June 30th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

If you could make it to West Bend or preferably Waukesha, I would be glad
to give you a ride to Iowa City. I am free the weekend before OSH, and
could have you back in around an hour from when we met.

Thanks, Doc. We're still debating internally who (if anyone) gets to fly
the 'Coupe to OSH.

Yesterday I stopped over at Keith's shop for a cup o' joe, only to find him
and other-partner Bob replacing a jug! It seems that Keith took 'er up
for a test flight (after tinkering some more with the carb) and it just
"didn't feel right". After he landed he did a compression check, and
discovered one of the jugs was 40/80.

Of course it was the one that was a bit low at the pre-buy. Seems that an
exhaust valve decided it was time to leak -- with just 26 hours on that
cylinder.

Keith being Keith, he just "happened to have" a serviceable Continental
cylinder in his shop, left-over from some long-forgotten project, so within
two hours we had four good jugs with 78/80 compressions.

I tell ya, guys, having an A&P/IA for a partner is just hard to beat. If
that had happened to just Bob and me, we'd have been down for a week,
pricing our options, wringing our hands over brands and types, spending 1.0
AMU and untold hours of research. With Keith, a blown jug is just a minor
inconvenience...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 30th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

you redeemed your internet chutzpa totally with that post.
good one.

I copied it here from a post I made over at Pilots of America. I figured
*maybe* this newsgroup was still safe to post to...thought I'd see if anyone
was still here.

even bertie the bunyip will be impressed!

Now I know what the old adage "to be damned with faint praise" really
means...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 30th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article 9LV9k.231529$yE1.163731@attbi_s21,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

you redeemed your internet chutzpa totally with that post.
good one.

I copied it here from a post I made over at Pilots of America. I figured
*maybe* this newsgroup was still safe to post to...thought I'd see if anyone
was still here.

fwiw - I saw it here before I saw it on POA...

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old June 30th 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

fwiw - I saw it here before I saw it on POA...

It's in the "Flight Following" section.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old June 30th 08, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 00:26:45 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

you redeemed your internet chutzpa totally with that post.
good one.

I copied it here from a post I made over at Pilots of America. I figured
*maybe* this newsgroup was still safe to post to...thought I'd see if anyone
was still here.

even bertie the bunyip will be impressed!

Now I know what the old adage "to be damned with faint praise" really
means...

no not intended as damning with faint praise at all.
bertie rips into the ******s and I have to say that that tron guy
stuff is off in la la land.
that post was genuinely a redeemer.

lets hope that others are motivated to follow your lead.
Stealth Pilot
Old June 30th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Mike wrote:

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
A few months ago a group of us "pilots with kids" realized that our
pilot-rated children could no longer afford to fly even the
clapped-out rental 150s at our local FBO. Over a few beers, we started
plotting a way to help.

snip

That's a great story and a nice little project. I don't have much time
in an Ercoupe, but my first flight in one definitely changed my
impression of them.

As far as the starter goes, a lot of pre-60's model aircraft have those
types of starters. They are actually kind of nice because instead of
having a starter solenoid, you provide that function by pulling out the
starter knob. It's one less thing to go wrong, although sometimes you
need to make minor adjustments to the linkage to get it to work right.

Until you pull the thing and it comes out of the panel like it did in a
C-150 on me one time.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old June 30th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

Ross writes:

As far as the starter goes, a lot of pre-60's model aircraft have those
types of starters. They are actually kind of nice because instead of
having a starter solenoid, you provide that function by pulling out the
starter knob. It's one less thing to go wrong, although sometimes you
need to make minor adjustments to the linkage to get it to work right.

Until you pull the thing and it comes out of the panel like it did in a
C-150 on me one time.

Years ago, a friend related that he was somewhere in a Borgward or
something equally bad; and when he pulled its START knob, there was a rope
attached....

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old July 1st 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Jun 28, 3:58 am, "Jay Honeck" wrote:

Now, we're gonna have to arm wrestle to see who gets to fly it to Oshkosh
this year!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Hi Jay, long time no see... I am so glad that you and yours survived
the great flood of '08! The Ercoupe sounds like a great new toy to
boot.
p.s. email is invalid.. new is fasto_tt at yahoo dot com
--
Aaron (ex 9376J)
Old July 1st 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

Jay: Glad to hear you kept your feet dry....Did the airport
and/or its occupants suffer any damage?

--
A host is a host from coast to