Adding an airplane rating to private pilot glider

Old April 7th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Adding an airplane rating to private pilot glider

On Apr 7, 5:18*am, Evan Ludeman wrote:
On Apr 6, 11:47 pm, gmcd05 wrote:

Does anyone know what the requirements are to add a private pilot
airplane rating if you already have a private pilot glider? *

[...] But the
bottom line is that you have to be able to meet the practical test
standards.

Nobody has mentioned that you need to take a knowledge test [14CFR
61.63(b)(5) does not exempt glider pilots from this, although it
exempts power pilots from the glider "written."]

The Practical Test Standards don't give you much credit for being
rated, either; expect to do the whole flight test.

A little off-topic...
I teach my power students to do stall recoveries both with and without
power. Why? One accidental stall scenario is trying to "stretch a
glide" after an engine failure. Furthermore, recovering without
power really teaches what a stall is (exceeding the critical angle of
attack, not the horse hockey in the FAA and commercial books). Too
many CFIs think that power is part of the recovery; well, it is,
sometimes (get more airflow over the wing), but the real need for
power is to climb.

In a multi (OK, this is more than a little off-topic), you can't add
power in a stall recovery until you know that both engines are
running. That little bit of yaw might have been a spin entry, but it
might have been Vmc, and adding power makes the latter worse. So, get
the airplane flying, then add power.

Old April 7th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 7, 6:33*am, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
*Keep in your mind that landings in the pattern suddenly
become optional, a go-around is a whole new possibility to fit into your
decision making process.
* Your instructor will not be amused by your first attempts at stall recovery.
He will insist that you use power, and you will wonder why.
Vaughn

Vaughn you raised 2 good points.
As for the go around, and as a glider pilot that added power..... And
with the disclaimer that I am just a normal pilot, no amazing skill
set that the next glider pilot doesn't have....

I have to say that I don't get this whole Go Around thing. Other than
in my initial lessons with the power instructor I have never been in a
pattern that I had to do a go around for. If you enter the pattern at
the correct height and speed, you should have no reason to do a go
around.

I wonder out loud if teaching power pilots they have that option
creates more problems than if they were taught to land the plane the
first time around like "We" are.

Doug
Old April 7th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 7, 2:24 pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 7, 6:33 am, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
[...]

the go around is more often used for those times when someone or
something decides to make use of the runway during the time you were
going to land on it. like, when a glider pulls out to stage for
takeoff.
Old April 7th 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman

On Apr 6, 11:47 pm, gmcd05 wrote:

Does anyone know what the requirements are to add a private pilot
airplane rating if you already have a private pilot glider?

[...] But the
bottom line is that you have to be able to meet the practical test
standards.

Nobody has mentioned that you need to take a knowledge test [14CFR
61.63(b)(5) does not exempt glider pilots from this, although it
exempts power pilots from the glider "written."]

The Practical Test Standards don't give you much credit for being
rated, either; expect to do the whole flight test.

In fact, if you show up for your practical with less than 40 hrs SEL,
as I did, be prepared to get tested rather thoroughly. The DE was,
shall we say, initially unimpressed with my logbook. He went well
past PP-SEL practical test standards with me (unusual attitude
recoveries under the hood, partial panel was particularly memorable --
I'd certainly never done that before). I think his bottom line was
twofold: a) ensuring that I met the test standards, all of them, and
b) seeing how I responded under pressure. He just kept turning up the
heat until I was really working hard, then kept it there.
Old April 7th 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 7, 3:28*pm, wrote:
the go around is more often used for those times when someone or
something decides to make use of the runway during the time you were
going to land on it. *like, when a glider pulls out to stage for
takeoff.

You must fly at an airport with amazing power pilots! I get to see
about 3 or so go arounds each weekend.

Doug

Old April 7th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

" wrote in message
On Apr 7, 6:33 am, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:
[...]

I had quite a bit of glider time when I added my first 'power' rating -
which was a Commercial SEL since, given the credit I got for my logged
glider time, the Commercial didn't take all that much more time than a
Private. Under then current rules, 100 hours of my glider time counted
against the 200 hours a Commercail SEL required.

During training, a go-around never came up since the instructor's technique
was to wait until a student screwed up an approach. I didn't screw up so
the lesson was never taught.

Then one day as I was putting down a very long, slow approach waiting for
the corporate jet on the runway to finish his checklist, I started thinking
about go-arounds. It suddenly occured to me that if an airplane were to
taxi onto the runway at the last second, I might revert to glider technique
and land the airplane on the grass between the runway and taxiway. Hmmm....
That might be very hard to explain.

I called the tower and asked for a low pass over the numbers and a go-around
to get some practice with the throttle thingy.

Bill Daniels

Old April 8th 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve

My experience was similar - about 35 hours SEL for the ticket. And my
challenges were similar to those previously reported. However, I'd be
curious how many hours is typical for ab initio? I've heard it's a rare
student that gets by with the minimum.

Evan Ludeman wrote:
On Apr 6, 11:47 pm, gmcd05 wrote:
Does anyone know what the requirements are to add a private pilot
airplane rating if you already have a private pilot glider? I know
the training requirements would be reduced for an airplane pilot
transitioning to glider but I dont know how it works going the other
way.... Does anyone have info on this?

Training requirements are in no way reduced, but some of your glider
time may be applicable to the minimum time requirements. I did just
this c 1992 and had ~35 hrs SEL the day of my checkride. But the

Old April 8th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Verhulst

Other things to get used to: You don't need airbrakes because the whole
plane is just one huge airbrake. When your approach is too high, just
push, the airspeed won't increase.

That works (to a point) in a Cessna. Try that in a Mooney and you'll get
a very close look at the numbers on the far end of the runway as you go
by them. It depends on the airplane.

Tony
Old April 8th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Verhulst

Your instructor will not be amused by your first attempts at stall recovery.
He will insist that you use power, and you will wonder why.

And he'll wonder what the heck you are thinking when you push the nose
below the horizon - Level the airplane and add power.

Tony