Some gliders safer than others?

Old October 24th 13, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas L

Default Some gliders safer than others?

Are some glider designs much safer than others? Or do certain designs put their pilots at risk for certain types of injuries during a crash?

Looking at the Libelle with the bubble canopy it makes me wonder if the glider flipped on you during a bad landing or crash if the pilot would suffer head/ neck injuries?

The dg website Has an interesting article on reinforcing the sides of the cockpit:
http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/index.p...oes-not-sell-e

Is there a source for information on this?
Old October 24th 13, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

Modern Schleicher gliders (since mid 90's)have a crash cockpit
and a great landing gear strut to take the hit instead of
the pilots back. These are standard in all Schleichers.

I think they are the only one with the crash cockpit design.
Old October 24th 13, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:45:03 AM UTC-4, joesimmers wrote:
I think [Schleichers] are the only one with the crash cockpit design.

Wrong. Many modern gliders have reinforced cockpits
and many have energy-absorbing gear. Lange also adds
a crush zone in nose:
http://www.lange-aviation.com/htm/en...0e/safety.html

RAS - Rampant Aviation Speculation....
Old October 24th 13, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:33:31 PM UTC-4, Nicholas L wrote:
Are some glider designs much safer than others? Or do certain designs put their pilots at risk for certain types of injuries during a crash?

To sharpen the question to match your intention, "Are some gliders more survivable in a crash?"

One of my favorite tidbits on this topic is that the much maligned SGS 2-33 has been shown to survive a crash better than most. Part of the reason for that is that a 2-33 will probably be going slower than most when it crashes.

Some gliders are easier to spin than others, and one could argue that those types are more likely to crash when improperly piloted.
Old October 24th 13, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:33:31 PM UTC-6, Nicholas L wrote:
Are some glider designs much safer than others? Or do certain designs put their pilots at risk for certain types of injuries during a crash?

Is there a source for information on this?

The link you posted is from a lecture that is over a decade ago. I think since this time safety cockpits are no longer compulsory and they are a requirement for Certification in most Countries. I disagree with the conclusions drawn in that lecture. I think most pilots, with all other things being equal, would purchase the safer glider.
It is possible, but due to the short gear highly unlikely, that a glider will flip and pin the pilot. This does happen in powered aircraft and roll over protection is provided on the better designs.
Old October 24th 13, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

You should join OSTIV - the scientific and technical organization for soaring. www.OSTIV.org. They have a Sailplane Development Panel, and a sub-group on Crashworthiness. On the sub-group page, there is a Safe and Crashworthy Cockpit
Short report by W. Röger, FH Aachen, from February 2007; it is interesting. There have been papers describing improved crashworthiness over the years in OSTIV. You can search the index for details on glider safety.

There is also a program for reporting cockpit damage, so that there is data that designers can use to design safer cockpits (disturbing but not graphic pictures of testing). As they say, without data, you are a person with an opinion.

OSTIV does good work, and we all benefit.

Old October 24th 13, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]

In article ,
Papa3 wrote:

[...]

I fly an early H-301 Libelle (serial #19). It has a significant safety
feature not seen in many other gliders. The fuselage is so thin that it
allows one see out if the canopy fogs over.

Seriously, Libelles would, in no way, be construed as having a "safety
cockpit", however, there have been relatively few fatalities in
Libelles. I think their slightly wobbly, unstable feel encourages pilots
to pay attention to their flying.

Old October 24th 13, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:17:44 AM UTC-4, WB wrote:

I fly an early H-301 Libelle (serial #19). It has a significant safety

feature not seen in many other gliders. The fuselage is so thin that it

allows one see out if the canopy fogs over.

Seriously, Libelles would, in no way, be construed as having a "safety

cockpit", however, there have been relatively few fatalities in

Libelles. I think their slightly wobbly, unstable feel encourages pilots

to pay attention to their flying.

An extra helping of humor, on toasted wry. I'm going to chuckle about that all afternoon.

T8
Old October 24th 13, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:50:13 AM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:

One of my favorite tidbits on this topic is that the much maligned SGS 2-33 has been shown to survive a crash better than most. Part of the reason for that is that a 2-33 will probably be going slower than most when it crashes.

What do you base this conclusion on? I've seen several 2-33s that have been crashed and sure wouldn't want to be in one! I know of a passenger that broke an ankle in a stalled 2-33 crash that broke the plane in two (behind the wing trailing edge), and having spent some time giving rides in the back seat of those horrible things, would sure not want to be in one during a hard landing!

Seriously, has anyone actually looked up the statistics on 2-seat crashes/injuries and compared 2-33/Blanik/K-13/G-103/ASK-21 stats?

There is a good reason the 2-33 is much maligned - it deserves it! Saying it is a good glider is like saying the Pinto was a good car - because it was cheap and it ran, no more. But I guess if your standards are low enough, just about anything will do.

Kirk
66
(waiting for the usual flurry of retorts about how wonderful the good old Gollywhomper is ;^)