South African Nationals 2013 - one more day ..... The JS1s are doingquite well.......

Old December 20th 13, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default South African Nationals 2013 - one more day ..... The JS1s are doingquite well.......

Just one more day to go at the SA Nationals at Welkom, RSA.

For all the results see: http://www.soaringspot.com/sanats2013/ .

Facebook carries the daily stories from Carol Clifford. See https://www.facebook.com/SouthAfrica...als2012?ref=hl for more.
Old December 20th 13, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

nothing against the JS-1, but in the 18/Open class 13 of the 17 contestants are in JS-1s. The other four are two Nimbus 3s (not a new glider design), a Lak 17, and and ASG-29... which happens to be in 2nd. No surprise the JS-1s are doing well, they are practically the only gliders in the field.

Old December 20th 13, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Friday, December 20, 2013 3:43:47 PM UTC-6, wrote:
nothing against the JS-1, but in the 18/Open class 13 of the 17 contestants are in JS-1s. The other four are two Nimbus 3s (not a new glider design), a Lak 17, and and ASG-29... which happens to be in 2nd. No surprise the JS-1s are doing well, they are practically the only gliders in the field.

Well, the 29 was second for the day. Up to 6th overall. I am kind of surprised at how few 1000 point days there have been.
Old December 21st 13, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The fat lady has warbled .....
Overall Results:
CLUB CLASS
1. Edvard Kristo 6922 pts.
2. Annemiek Koers 6887 pts.
3. Jean du Plessis 6162 pts.
15M. CLASS
1. Wayne Schmidt 7684 pts
2. Rene Coetzee 7379 pts.
3. Sven Olivier 6349 pts.
OPEN/18M CLASS
1. Uys Jonker 7158 pts.
2. Oscar Goudriaan 7147 pts.
3. Ronald Termaat 7097 pts.
Old December 23rd 13, 07:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GC[_2_]

On 23/12/2013 05:52, Peter Stafford Allen wrote:
At 07:13 22 December 2013, Ian wrote:

The ASW 27 is 12km/h faster than the ASW 20 but it is scored 900 points
less. How fast does the '27 driver have to go before he can get 1000
points too?

Ian

Ian,
In strong conditions an ASW27 is amazingly fast and to be only about 10%
faster than a ASW20 is really not enough, though it looks as if the 20
pilot did do something clever/lucky since he scored top marks

So... Does he get a better handicap when conditions aren't 'strong'? Or
does he just have to lose even more badly?

The BGA handicaps the 20 at 100. On that basis your handicap was over
112 and at that point you're the only 15m glider. All the others at
that level (110+) are 18m or wider.

You were robbed, Ian.

The BGA handicaps the 27 at 104. You need to start offering brown
envelopes to the scorer. Flying better won't get you anywhere.

GC
Old December 23rd 13, 09:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian[_2_]

On 12/23/2013 09:57 AM, GC wrote:

You were robbed, Ian.

Just for the record. I don't fly an ASW 27, nor even an ASW 20 and I did
not participate in that competition. If I had been there I would have
been well behind both of the pilots I quoted - irrespective of any
handicap that I might have been given.

I would be very reluctant to make public comment about a competition if
I had been there.

But I read the scores on the 'net and I thought it was a bit tough on
some of the guys.

Ian