No winner yet in 'Doonesbury' Bush search

Old March 1st 04, 06:36 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Michael Wise" wrote in message

I'm not certain, but a single guy swearing up and down he saw Mr. Bush
in the squadron is probably not going to persuade many...unless he has
pictures.

No, a single guy swearing up and down he saw Mr. Bush in the squadron is not
going to persuade anyone that has decided Bush wasn't there. As for
pictures, well, obviously any pictures showing Bush serving as required are
recently manufactured computer images.

Old March 1st 04, 06:47 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

So now you are back to saying that Mr. trudeau was not being true to his
word when he asked for a *witness* to come forward?

Now, now, now. Mr. Trudeau required a "CREDIBLE witness". Clearly, since
Bush was AWOL anyone that states Bush served as required is not credible.

Got any pictures of Kerry performing any reserve duty under *his*
obligation?

Now, now, now. John Kerry is a Democrat so no proof is required.

Old March 1st 04, 07:34 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
. com...

The comics also made sure to specify that they need *proof*
that someone served with Bush, not just someone's word for it.
So unless someone can dig up a 30 year old photo of them with
some guy they only saw on a few weekends, they're out of luck.

If such a photo was found it would be declared a fabrication. This whole
thing is set up to ensure there will be no winner. Anyone who does come
forward will simply be deemed not credible.

Old March 1st 04, 09:00 AM
Michael Wise

In article ,
Chad Irby wrote:

With $10,000 as the prize, you would think just one person who can prove
they saw Br. Bush drilling in Alabama would step forward.

The way some of you talk, this should have been easy money....yet here
we are nearly two weeks later and still no takers.

Only if you assume that 50+ year old ex-military types from Alabama are
the types who would read "Doonesbury."

Well its been covered in both the local and national media (print and
broadcast). I imagine more than one person who served in the unit Mr.
Bush is said to have drilled with can vouch for him convincingly.

The comics also made sure to specify that they need *proof* that someone
served with Bush, not just someone's word for it. So unless someone can
dig up a 30 year old photo of them with some guy they only saw on a few
weekends, they're out of luck.

That or maybe people who drilled with him.

--Mike
Old March 1st 04, 09:07 AM
Michael Wise

In article k.net,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

I'm not certain, but a single guy swearing up and down he saw Mr. Bush
in the squadron is probably not going to persuade many...unless he has
pictures.

No, a single guy swearing up and down he saw Mr. Bush in the squadron is not
going to persuade anyone that has decided Bush wasn't there. As for
pictures, well, obviously any pictures showing Bush serving as required are
recently manufactured computer images.

So then you've seen pictures of Mr. Bush serving in AL? Where might
these pictures be? Come up with them, and $10K could be yours.

Worried about authenticity issues? Most digital photo pros can identify
a doctored image. Heck, even the design interns at the magazines I have
worked at can tell. Just put up the photos or any other evidence, and
you get the prize.

Easy money...eh?

--Mike
Old March 1st 04, 09:42 AM
Chad Irby

In article ,
Michael Wise wrote:

In article ,
Chad Irby wrote:

The comics also made sure to specify that they need *proof* that someone
served with Bush, not just someone's word for it. So unless someone can
dig up a 30 year old photo of them with some guy they only saw on a few
weekends, they're out of luck.

That or maybe people who drilled with him.

That's not proof, that's testimony. If they were only looking for
testimony, they already have that.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old March 1st 04, 11:11 AM
John Keeney

"Michael Wise" wrote in message
In article ,
362436 (Ron) wrote:

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- A $10,000 reward offered by the
"Doonesbury" comic strip for proof that U.S. President George W.
Bush served in the Alabama National Guard during the Vietnam War
has elicited over 1,300 responses but turned up no credible
evidence yet, the cartoonist said on Friday.

With so much controversy surrounding Bush's National Guard
service, a credible witness would have turned up by now if there
was one, said Garry Trudeau.

"You can be sure some very motivated people have tried to find a
witness who can establish Bush's presence at Dannelly Base
beyond a reasonable doubt," said the creator of the politically
irreverent and satirical daily cartoon. "Anyone who could do so
would almost certainly have surfaced by now."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...ush.doonesbury
reut/index.html

In other words, I can not prove my assertion, so I will just take the

easy
route, and ask others to disprove it.

With $10,000 as the prize, you would think just one person who can prove
they saw Br. Bush drilling in Alabama would step forward.

Two weeks? First I've heard of it, I wonder how many
Alabama ANG folks from those days haven't heard of it either?

The way some of you talk, this should have been easy money....

Proof to Trudeau? You got to be ****tin' me...
The man is so solidly a democrat that papers run his cartoon
on the editorial pages. Hell, he was so ****ed that Reagan
was President he quit drawing his cartoon and ran off to
France until the term was up.

yet here we are nearly two weeks later and still no takers.

How many people are going to have movies (stills are
too easy to fake) with recognizable shots of GWB that
can be dated and placed sufficiently? How about any other
member of the Alabama ANG during '72? None, unless
somebody happens to have some local news film shot
on the base where the individual shows up in the background.

Hmmmmm

Hmmmm yourself.

I just went and found the thing -the above URL didn't work:
http://doonesbury.msn.com/strip/bush_guard.html
Even if you could "definitively prove that George W. Bush
fulfilled his duty to country" to Trudeau, you don't get the
money. "The winner won't actually receive the reward for himself;
instead we'll be donating $10,000 in his name to the USO."
So there goes that powerful reward for coming forward.

Oh yea, it also says: "If you personally witnessed George W. Bush
reporting for drills at Dannelly Air National Guard Base between
the months of May and November of 1972 we want to hear about it."
But they really don't care since they follow that up a little later with:
"Q: What if I saw Bush, but I can't prove it? Can I get some of the money?
A: No, but if your story's entertaining enough, you may qualify for our
consolation prize, an original Doonesbury strip personally signed by a
top studio intern."

Old March 1st 04, 11:53 AM
BUFDRVR

The way some of you talk, this should have been easy money....yet here
we are nearly two weeks later and still no takers.

This is the first I've heard of it. Perhaps those "in the know" are uninformed
about Mr. Trudeau's little scheme, or simply don't want to play his game.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old March 1st 04, 11:56 AM
Cub Driver

The comics also made sure to specify that they need *proof* that someone
served with Bush, not just someone's word for it. So unless someone can
dig up a 30 year old photo of them with some guy they only saw on a few
weekends, they're out of luck.

I was on active duty, every day in uniform, at Coligny Caserne in
Orleans, france, for 18 months. If a comic strip offered $10,000 for
photographic proof from someone who knew me there, I am sure that no
one would come forward. Even I don't have any photographs of me there.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old March 1st 04, 02:04 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Michael Wise" wrote in message

So then you've seen pictures of Mr. Bush serving in AL?

Nope.

Easy money...eh?

Easy money if you just have to satisfy on objective judge. Hard money if
you have to satisfy Trudeau.

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
Bush shot JFK over what he did to Barbara Ross C. Bubba Nicholson Home Built 2 August 30th 04 03:28 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 05:26 PM