Garmin 530 waas

Old November 24th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
wan2fly99

Default Garmin 530 waas

Went flying with a firend of mine who has this installed in his
aircraft.

Question When we have the auopilot on with Nav mode clicked

On the 530 we have GPS in the window, shouldn't the aitpilot follow
the 530 Flight plan or direct to or approach selected course?

Well it did not had to use Hdg mode in order to stear the plane

Any ideas how it should work? I know when you are in VLOC mode that
the Navs are are sending the signal for autpilot correct and GPS it
is the 530 unit?

Is this correct?
Old November 25th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Viperdoc[_6_]

This is correct unless you have either a digital autopilot or roll steering
installed in the plane.

Otherwise, each course change needs to be entered by the heading bug (in
heading mode), or the NAV pointer in nav mode on an HSI.

Old November 26th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
wan2fly99

On Nov 24, 10:09*pm, "Viperdoc" wrote:
This is correct unless you have either a digital autopilot or roll steering
installed in the plane.

Otherwise, each course change needs to be entered by the heading bug (in
heading mode), or the NAV pointer in nav mode on an HSI.

The auto has a heading mode and Nav mode

So even though the GPS is selected we actually have to steer it by
heading mode? Auto won't follow the course on the GPS?
Old November 26th 08, 10:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

wan2fly99 wrote:
On Nov 24, 10:09 pm, "Viperdoc" wrote:

This is correct unless you have either a digital autopilot or roll steering
installed in the plane.

Otherwise, each course change needs to be entered by the heading bug (in
heading mode), or the NAV pointer in nav mode on an HSI.

The auto has a heading mode and Nav mode

So even though the GPS is selected we actually have to steer it by
heading mode? Auto won't follow the course on the GPS?

Like the other poster said, the auto-pilot has to be capable of roll
steering, rather than CDI steering.
Old November 27th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Viperdoc[_6_]

The exact response depends on the autopilot system Some digital autopilots
(I think like the KFC 225 or KAP 150) will respond to the course changes
provided by the Garmin flight plan, do hold entries, etc.

On the other hand, the analog systems (Like the KFC200) require either roll
steering, or manual input of either the heading in heading mode (via the
heading bug), or course input via the course indicator (in nav mode).

I have an analog system, and am thinking about adding roll steering, which
would be particularly useful in flying DME arcs and holds, etc, and
especially in tracking the 90 degree turn in GPS approaches (which NAV mode
doesn't do every well).

Old November 28th 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Viperdoc wrote:
The exact response depends on the autopilot system Some digital autopilots
(I think like the KFC 225 or KAP 150) will respond to the course changes
provided by the Garmin flight plan, do hold entries, etc.

On the other hand, the analog systems (Like the KFC200) require either roll
steering, or manual input of either the heading in heading mode (via the
heading bug), or course input via the course indicator (in nav mode).

I have an analog system, and am thinking about adding roll steering, which
would be particularly useful in flying DME arcs and holds, etc, and
especially in tracking the 90 degree turn in GPS approaches (which NAV mode
doesn't do every well).

Roll steering is a method of control. It is built into the digital
autopilot but it is still roll steering.

Your analog autopilot has CDI steering. With the interface you will be
adding roll steering.
Old November 28th 08, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Viperdoc

I know all that, but probably didn't express it very clearly. I'm just
trying to decide whether the 4-5k to install roll steering is worth the
expense.

Right now I'm facing replacing 10 switches at 200 each since Beech thinks
there's something wrong with them, although they've worked fine for over 25
years.

Old November 28th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Scott Skylane

Viperdoc wrote:
/snip/

Right now I'm facing replacing 10 switches at 200 each since Beech thinks
there's something wrong with them, although they've worked fine for over 25
years.

There most certainly *is* something wrong with those switches. They
haven't produced any profit for Beech in over 25 years!

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old November 30th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Peter wrote:

"Viperdoc" wrote

I know all that, but probably didn't express it very clearly. I'm just
trying to decide whether the 4-5k to install roll steering is worth the
expense.

Pilots here in Europe are wondering the same thing, since roll
steering is being mandated for PRNAV.

I wouldn't pay 4-5k USD for it, personally, not even here because
there is no mandatory PRNAV airspace.

However, if the USA goes the way Europe has, and starts bringing in
lots of RNAV SIDs/STARs, then you will need roll steering because
these are supposed to be flyable hands-off, AIUI.

Roll steering will become important, if not essential, when RF legs
become common on advanced RNAV instrument approach procedures. The
procedures themselves will be in limited numbers, so they will be easily
avoided. But, some of them will provide access that a TF to TF leg IAP
can't.
Old January 25th 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
nick name

On Nov 28 2008, 5:49*am, "Viperdoc"
wrote:
I know all that, but probably didn't express it very clearly. I'm just
trying to decide whether the 4-5k to install roll steering is worth the
expense.

Right now I'm facing replacing 10 switches at 200 each since Beech thinks
there's something wrong with them, although they've worked fine for over 25
years.

We added GPSS when we did a panel upgrade (mostly 430W) for our A36.
GPSS is very worthwhile IMHO. For the first test flight we put in 2
waypoints and the AP (STEC 60/2) flew the 180 course reversal
perfectly. It handles holds, procedure turns, you name it. An amazing
box.

Garmin 530 WAAS? Al G Instrument Flight Rules 53 November 22nd 06 12:30 AM
WAAS up with Garmin? Lakeview Bill Products 0 August 30th 06 12:30 AM
Garmin 430/530 and WAAS: Delayed again? Andrew Gideon Owning 36 June 10th 05 01:58 AM
Garmin GNS430 & WAAS Roy Page Owning 33 April 7th 05 04:02 AM
WAAS and Garmin 430/530 DoodyButch Owning 23 October 13th 03 04:06 AM