Ox Cylinder ASW27

Old January 23rd 19, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Ox Cylinder ASW27

The option is to get a European bottle from Schleicher and use an adapter (DIN-CGA) from mountain high to fit a USA style regulator and to fill.
I have done this with our ASW28 and ASG29.
Tom
Old January 23rd 19, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 6:28:39 PM UTC-6, wrote:
The option is to get a European bottle from Schleicher and use an adapter (DIN-CGA) from mountain high to fit a USA style regulator and to fill.
I have done this with our ASW28 and ASG29.
Tom

https://legacy.life-assist.com/Produ...-Cylinders/929
One U.S. option is a Luxfer M15 carbon wrapped oxygen cylinder available from some EMS suppliers, link to one above, comes with a post valve, so you would need an adapter or change the valve to a Sherwood YVBA 5454-xx-75 g.
some of these suppliers require a doctors script.
Good luck,
Scott
Old January 24th 19, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 9:30:16 AM UTC-6, Scott Williams wrote:
https://legacy.life-assist.com/Produ...-Cylinders/929
One U.S. option is a Luxfer M15 carbon wrapped oxygen cylinder available from some EMS suppliers, link to one above, comes with a post valve, so you would need an adapter or change the valve to a Sherwood YVBA 5454-xx-75 g.
some of these suppliers require a doctors script.
Good luck,
Scott

One important thing to know about CF O2 cylinders is that they have a limited lifespan of 15 years versus steel and aluminum cylinders which have an unlimited lifespan (according to the Aerox web site).

Old January 24th 19, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 10:40:26 PM UTC-5, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
On Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at 9:30:16 AM UTC-6, Scott Williams wrote:
https://legacy.life-assist.com/Produ...-Cylinders/929
One U.S. option is a Luxfer M15 carbon wrapped oxygen cylinder available from some EMS suppliers, link to one above, comes with a post valve, so you would need an adapter or change the valve to a Sherwood YVBA 5454-xx-75 g.
some of these suppliers require a doctors script.
Good luck,
Scott

One important thing to know about CF O2 cylinders is that they have a limited lifespan of 15 years versus steel and aluminum cylinders which have an unlimited lifespan (according to the Aerox web site).

You would think we would have a solution for the ASW27 after all these years. It's only 2019, and we still can't get a bottle off the shelves for some air without a lot of footwork..

Thank you all for the help.

And, I'm using the tank to house my Emergency supplies, keys, and crap... This real estate is too tempting not to be using since I live on the east coast of USA and will never need Ox.

Gary
"SQ"
Old January 24th 19, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

John,
Neither of the two steel bottles worked out for you?
Old January 24th 19, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I have a friend who just bought a 27b and is concerned about the steel
bottle not passing hydro-static testing.Â* He has an aluminum cylinder
which is within about 1/16" of fitting but the clamp won't open enough
to allow the fit.Â* It appears that the bottle will just fit horizontally
in front of the wing spar and there's room to install proper mounting
clamps.Â* He's small enough that the bottle will stand diagonally behind
the seat back.Â* Again clamps would need to be installed.

Any comments that I could pass along to him?

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 24th 19, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dan- Have Miguel contact me. I doubt there is a problem with the hydro test on that cylinder. I am familiar with it and I know it has been kept in good condition. Mounting an aluminum cylinder in the turtledeck might be a problem due to lack of sufficient structure to hold the load in the case of an impact. Plus you run the risk of interfering with the battery terminals.
Old January 24th 19, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gary,
Do you just need to know the OD of a bottle that will fit? I can measure up my bottle for you if that's all you need.

The last time I got involved in this was 2014, at that time Norris Cylinders in AL could supply a cylinder that fit the 27. But they had some old inventory from purchasing Worthington in Canada that were supposed to be the same cylinder but the OD was just a bit larger (QA/Spec/Tooling issue) making it not fit the rear cuff glued to the side of the gear enclosure on the 27. So if you go the Norris route you need to get them to check the cylinder OD just in case the old Worthington inventory is still a problem.

I identified a possible alternative that might work with the addition of a thin plastic sleeve on the bottom to enlarge to OD slightly it was a Luxfer M15A composite cylinder.

I ended up with a steel cylinder that fit from Norris via John Murray at Eastern. Calling John, Then Rex, then Norris would probably turn up a cylinder that fits.

SF

Old January 25th 19, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 3:46:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Hello, Yes, the diameter is good for now. Once I get the diameter made, I can make the length as needed based on the seat. I was thinking about what is behind the bottom of the cylinder. If I can make the bottle longer, that would be better.

Right now, the diameter is where I'm at. I'm working on the Autocad 3d design for now and will be making the first cylinder shortly. It sounds like the seat will be a problem but I just need a screw cap and a hole to put a line on it to pull the bottle in out for my stuff...

This will be a custom fit when I get done. It sounds like it would fit 24's and 29's too...

Thanks to all for the private messages and help here...

Gary
"SQ"