LX Nav Varios, Bluetooth & XCSoar

Old March 3rd 19, 06:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LX Nav Varios, Bluetooth & XCSoar

On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 4:29:16 AM UTC+11, SAM wrote:
I'm interested in connecting LX Nav varions (EOS or ERA) to XCSoar via bluetooth.

From the manuals, xcsoar config screens, and old posts here it looks like that *should* be possible.
Does anyone have experience doing it?
I've got XCSoar on a couple android phones and a nexxxus 7 tablet.
Simply providing vario data via bluetooth would be the primary need. Ability to feed flarm or other data would be a bonus.

Thanks!

I have been trying to get Bluetooth connection between an Era80 and Android devices running XCSOAR. The firmware displayed on the 'info' screen is version 1.2 which does not directly equate to the firmware on the LX NAVIGATION website. (Beta 1.0RC5 and stable 0.9 F).

The manual for the Era80 indicates that in a scan the Era80 will present as Era XXXXX where XXXXX is the serial number of the device (available on the info screen). It should then prompt you for the pairing code (1234).

However the Era80 presents the Bluetooth ID of 'Bluetooth device'. You can pair with this, it does NOT ask for a pairing code. However, there is no communication between the Era80 and XCSOAR.

PNW
AUS

Old March 4th 19, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On 3/2/2019 11:48 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 4:29:16 AM UTC+11, SAM wrote:
I'm interested in connecting LX Nav varions (EOS or ERA) to XCSoar via bluetooth.

From the manuals, xcsoar config screens, and old posts here it looks like that *should* be possible.
[...]

Not sure that XCSoar supports LX "Navigation" products. LX "Nav" is supported.

Mike

Old March 4th 19, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan Walker

I understand that within the next week or so the ERA software download
should be updated to 1.4 which appears to be quite a big change from the
Beta 1.0RC5 so might improve the position?

On 3/2/2019 11:48 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 4:29:16 AM UTC+11, SAM wrote:
I'm interested in connecting LX Nav varions (EOS or ERA) to XCSoar

via
bluetooth.

From the manuals, xcsoar config screens, and old posts here it

looks
like that *should* be possible.

Old September 26th 19, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 11:35:27 AM UTC-8, David Hirst wrote:
On Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 6:29:16 AM UTC+13, SAM wrote:
I'm interested in connecting LX Nav varions (EOS or ERA) to XCSoar via bluetooth.

From the manuals, xcsoar config screens, and old posts here it looks like that *should* be possible.
Does anyone have experience doing it?
I've got XCSoar on a couple android phones and a nexxxus 7 tablet.
Simply providing vario data via bluetooth would be the primary need. Ability to feed flarm or other data would be a bonus.

Thanks!

Hi Sam,

It is definitely possible and XCSoar provides a number of drivers to get everything talking nicely once BT is paired. The weakest link in the chain is the Android o/s (earlier versions are worse). If there is ever a problem or a delay in pairing, then Android remembers this as a "bad" connection and won't pair with the BT device. To fix it you have to clear the BT cache and pair from scratch again. I flew with a V7 (now S7), BT module and Galaxy S3, then used a Kobo Mini e-reader with HC05 BT module. In the end I removed the LX Nav BT module and went with a hard connection (to a Boox Onyx) via a IOIO box, though I know others who have never had any BT problems and swear by them.
Many problems in life come down to trying to get Box A talking to Box B. Sometimes the boxes are people

Cheers
DH
TX

David
Which version of the Onyx Boox are you using?
Old September 26th 19, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Hirst

David
Which version of the Onyx Boox are you using?

I'm using the C67ML Carta+

Here's one for sale:
https://www.amazon.com/Android-Scree.../dp/B072LW7DM7

Official specs here, although their base model is now the Carta2:
https://www.boox.com/boox-c67/

DH

Old September 27th 19, 08:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

SAM,

You might want to sign up for the LXNav Google group and ask your question(s) of the membership - there are 114 members and counting.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!fo...nav-user-group

Best of luck.

- John

Varios For Sale [email protected] Soaring 1 December 14th 13 05:04 PM
Talking Varios glider[_2_] Soaring 10 May 19th 10 05:35 PM
Varios [email protected] Soaring 9 January 5th 09 08:51 PM
Opinions on Varios Bruce Soaring 8 March 1st 05 03:57 PM
Super Varios John Scott Soaring 1 February 25th 05 02:14 AM