Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

Old March 9th 19, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

I have been having bad luck with trailers recently. Here is what happened a few days ago, maybe someone will benefit from hearing about my misfortune:

Best I can figure, the Cobra trailer emergency brake application cable (which attaches to the bottom of the brake handle and clips to the tow vehicle side to pull the brake if the trailer comes free) got flipped up somehow and caught between the trailer coupler and the hitch/ball. As I left a parking lot, I recall making a sharp turn, apparently in the direction away from the side of the ball that the cable was on, which combined I think with the ring/cable connection at the bottom of the brake handle (and maybe the clip/cable end also) being kinked and hence effectively shortened, resulted in the parking brake being inadvertently applied.

I KNOW that I didn't pull the parking brake and forget to release it, because checking that the handle is down is on my trailer checklist that I run through every time I get into the truck with the trailer attached, even at gas/bathroom/food stops. Could the emergency brake cable been flipped up for a while? Maybe, but I did not notice this during my every-stop check. Shame on me for not specifically checking this and being sure. I will now look at that more closely every time.

So, I drove with the parking brake on, almost an hour, grrrrrrr. I noticed it by seeing the parking brake handle UP in my rear-view camera on the back of my camper. When I pulled over, the right wheel was smoking and the brake drum was glowing. The left side was hot, too, but not near as bad.

I was very close to the Cook County Airport at Adel, Georgia, so I tip-toed over there and spent the night. A group of local homebuilders helped me the next day, I love aviation types.... When I got the wheels and brake drums off, the right (hot) side brake parts just dumped out, totally mangled. The right side bearings were destroyed, and the spindle was scarred up and a very interesting shade of blue due to overheating. The left side bearings and brake parts were intact, but the brake shoe material was completely gone, I'll replace all the brake parts though. The left side spindle looked normal, but I will probably replace it and the bearings also just to be safe.

The local O'Reilly's auto parts store had the right bearings, amazingly. I was able to assemble all back into a rolling configuration, NO BRAKES though, and a questionable right spindle, so I gingerly drove back the 250 miles or so to home. Trailer is now at my hangar, I'll be rebuilding the brakes and replacing the bearings and spindle(s) soon. I have all the parts I need from an axle salvaged from my previous trailer "adventure"....

I now will route and hook up the emergency brake cable in such a way that it is held down and cannot get caught between the coupler and hitch or wrapped around the ball. I recommend that others check this. And I think I will put some kind of anti-kink fitting at the two ends of the emergency brake cable, to avoid a kink which reduces the effective length of the cable and increases the chances of inadvertent brake application.

I'll bet this has happened before, maybe even without people knowing what caused it. My hope in sharing this is that my fellow soaring pilots will avoid experiencing this "adventure" in the future.

Cheers,
Jim J6

Old March 9th 19, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jim,

Thanks for the post for all. You will have a lot of sympathy from many AL-KO surge brake owners. Check with almost any of the USA glider agents they probably have the parts you need in their hangars. (It is that often this happens)

I'm not sure what all practices can be used to prevent this. I usually do a brake check early in the drive. I can feel when the trailer brakes come on with a smooth brake application early in the drive.

Other sympathetic glider owners will offer advice here I'm sure.

Jeff Banks N9
Old March 9th 19, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Sat, 09 Mar 2019 14:07:58 -0700, BobW wrote:

Ah, Murphy! (If anything can go wrong, it will...)

....and never forget that Murphy was an optimist.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old March 9th 19, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, March 9, 2019 at 11:24:46 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I understand that in some parts of Europe they require the safety brake cable, but don't require safety chains.
I opt for 2 safety chains, secured to the body of the trailer, and skip the brake cable to avoid the problem described.
FWIW
UH
Old March 10th 19, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

I understand that in some parts of Europe they require the safety brake cable, but don't require safety chains.
I opt for 2 safety chains, secured to the body of the trailer, and skip the brake cable to avoid the problem described.
FWIW
UH

UH is correct. Most glider trailers in Europe rely only on the brake system and have no safety chains. A few owners add them for redundancy.

When I picked up my Cobra trailers at the Port of Houston I brought SUBSTANTIAL chains and hookup hardware. Cross the chains underneath. Twist if they drag (until you can adjust the length.)

In an older Eastern European Blanik trailer, I noticed smoke in the mirror from one wheel -- brake was dragging (due to lack of maintenance) after about 10 miles. (I now carry a small fire extinguisher in my vehicle, for what it is worth.) When I tried to find replacement bearings from a large shop that specialized in bearings, they could not match them. They advised me to go down the street to a small horse trailer manufacturing shop, have the oddball axle unit (not Alko) cut off and American brand wheels, axle, hubs & bearings installed. They gave me an spare hub and bearings for $30. Now I can get more bearings at most US auto parts stores if needed. (I suggest buying a spare set of bearings for trailer.)
No brakes, just chains in that trailer.

On my Cobra's with the brake system, I drive and stop 5 miles before continuing to check the brake system, touch the hubcap for heat (carefully or fling a bit of water on it with a wet rag.) Do this at every stop en route.

READ the Cobra and Alko manuals about maintaining your brakes and at what juncture in the brake mechanical system you can make adjustments. You might be surprised where in the system small adjustments can be made, not necessarily on the brake adjusters in the hubs.

Note that the emergency brake handle should not go past 90 degrees vertical when brakes are applied.

Generally, the MAX SPEED LIMIT on glider trailers in Germany is 80 Km/hour. That's 50 mph. Yep, I take my time crossing the USA, usually on scenic back roads to avoid the big trucks passing me and blowing my van and trailer around. Those backroads are more interesting and often smoother than the truck infested Interstate highways. I start early, check tire pressures and the van engine, drive a few miles and check the trailer and keep going to just before sunset.

By the way, I no longer drive "straight through." Did it once in 1969, Marfa, Texas to Miami, Florida -- never again! Even as an indestructible 18 year old I was worthless and unsafe on the next day's drive, the last 400 miles to home.

Trade off driving with your crew person(s). (Driver has control of the music system.)
Audiobooks make the miles slide by. Aviation and space history and biography topics keep me awake.

Burt, on the road again.

Old March 10th 19, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yeah.....what Burt says!!!!!!!!

I peak at the wing and fuselage fittings at that same 5 mile check and keep a cheap infrared heat sensor gun for my RV and trailer wheel temps.

Jeff Banks
N9

Old March 10th 19, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 12:12:36 PM UTC-4, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
[...]

Hi Burt,

Generally, the MAX SPEED LIMIT on glider trailers in Germany is 80 Km/hour.

Not true! Most glider trailers have been approved for 100km/h by now. In that case, they must place a white, round plaque or sticker with a black '100' on the tail end to indicate to the cops that they are not speeding when doing 100 with that trailer.
All this brake/bearing/tire burning up could be drastically reduced by installing a TPM (tire pressure monitoring) system with a temperature warning. The alarm would go off way before you would see smoke because the heat transfers into the air of the tire quickly. Mine is so sensitive that it will react to the trailer rolling on black-top vs. light concrete surfaces.

Uli
'AS'
Old March 10th 19, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 3/9/19 9:24 AM, wrote:
I have been having bad luck with trailers recently.

I hear you had some bad luck with lithium batteries also. For the love
of all things aviation, stop buying lottery tickets!
Old March 11th 19, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

AS wrote on 3/10/2019 9:44 AM:
All this brake/bearing/tire burning up could be drastically reduced by installing a TPM (tire pressure monitoring) system with a temperature warning. The alarm would go off way before you would see smoke because the heat transfers into the air of the tire quickly. Mine is so sensitive that it will react to the trailer rolling on black-top vs. light concrete surfaces.

What brand TPMS did you get? I very much doubt the externally mounted (screw onto
valve stem) ones I use react quickly to internal temperature changes. Of course,
if the internal temperature goes up, the pressure will go up proportionally, and
that does immediately show on the TPMS.