Remember to tip your ... pilot?

Old February 2nd 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Remember to tip your ... pilot?

Is it customary for passengers to tip their charter or sightseeing
pilot?

Old February 2nd 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

For charter 135 operations is it.

-Robert

Old February 2nd 06, 08:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Most companies have a policy against passengers tipping
pilots. On the other hand, if you have taken the pilot
out on Christmas eve, a nice tip is appreciated.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

oups.com...

Old February 2nd 06, 08:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Brien K. Meehan" wrote in message
Is it customary for passengers to tip their charter or sightseeing pilot?

Some do, some don't. The passengers who tip usually tip $100 for a charter
flight. They also usually draw the company's most experienced pilots.

D.

Old February 2nd 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Capt.Doug wrote:
"Brien K. Meehan" wrote in message
Is it customary for passengers to tip their charter or sightseeing pilot?

Some do, some don't. The passengers who tip usually tip $100 for a charter
flight. They also usually draw the company's most experienced pilots.

I only got tipped one time on a photo flight. The passenger needed to shoot a
property directly adjacent to the runway but ATC refused permission to fly by
until I asked if somebody could look at my landing gear for me as I came by. I
got two slow passes out of it.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old February 2nd 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote in message
news
years ago I flew demo flights in gliders at a tourist
destination and occasionally I'd get a tip. Since I flew
for fun, and the line kids who hooked me up, ran my wing and
helped retrieve me were paid peanuts, I'd gave the odd tip
to them to split. After a while, I began to notice that the
frequency of tips mounted. Eventually, I was getting tips
on almost all flights. It took a while for me to find the
little sign requesting tips that they were pasting on the
back of my seat - right in front of the passengers' noses.

Now, _that's_ funny!

Thanks.
--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

Old February 2nd 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Brien K. Meehan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it customary for passengers to tip their charter or sightseeing
pilot?

I have been delivering "ferrying" airplanes Usually if I bust my ass and get
them their airplane quickly 50/50 I will get a tip and if they tip it is
usually good. If the customer wishes to ride along almost every time its
happened time I get a tip so far only 1 person has not given me a tip but he
was suffering from airplane itis and did not understand weather minimums.
I.e.: Just because the aircraft is IFR equipped "no pito/static last 24
mo's" doesn't mean we can depart in 100 / 1/4 conditions hard to explain
that to a non pilot / new owner with airplane itis.

Old February 3rd 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Brien K. Meehan wrote:
Is it customary for passengers to tip their charter or sightseeing
pilot?

Customary, no. Appreciated, yes. I don't know why, exactly, except it
makes you feel that you are being recognized for a good job. The money
was nothing to me; after all, I am a retired successful businessman who
already has everything he needs. It was just the sign of appreciation
that I liked.

I made a practice of splitting my tips 50/50 with the line guys. This
did two things: 1) it made sure that my passengers always had a red
carpet and primo parking spot; and 2) the treatment encouraged my
passengers to give me more tips.

Old February 3rd 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I tipped the guy who flew my friends and I over the Grand Canyon. He let me
sit in the front seat after I told him I was in flight training (at the
time). He was paying his dues towards a regional job. I knew he was making
pennies for his time, and was flying a fairly dangerous route. My wife and
I tipped him $20.00, and I was sure to have the other couple tip him $20.00.
He was really appreciative. It made me feel bad when I found out that our
generosity was rare.

--
John Huthmaker
PPL-SEL P-28-161

http://www.cogentnetworking.com

Old February 4th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
Capt.Doug wrote:
"Brien K. Meehan" wrote in message
Is it customary for passengers to tip their charter or sightseeing
pilot?

Some do, some don't. The passengers who tip usually tip $100 for a
charter
flight. They also usually draw the company's most experienced pilots.

I only got tipped one time on a photo flight. The passenger needed to
shoot a property directly adjacent to the runway but ATC refused
permission to fly by until I asked if somebody could look at my landing
gear for me as I came by. I got two slow passes out of it.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

That's great!