Bonanza crash caught on video

Old September 1st 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Bonanza crash caught on video

http://fox40.trb.com/

In an amazing coincidence, a Sacramento TV station was at Cameron Park
airport filming background for a story about the crash of a plane that
had departed earlier in the day and caught a second crash on video. Go
to the web site and click on "Cameron Park Plane Crash" on the right
side.

It sure looks like the pilot was taking off from a high-density
altitude airport with no flaps, downwind.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 1st 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

Good grief, I hate to see that kind of stuff, turns my stomach.

Guess I shouldn't follow links like this.

Might have caught some downdraft from the trees, too. - usual second
guesses.

Old September 1st 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
http://fox40.trb.com/

In an amazing coincidence, a Sacramento TV station was at Cameron Park
airport filming background for a story about the crash of a plane that
had departed earlier in the day and caught a second crash on video. Go
to the web site and click on "Cameron Park Plane Crash" on the right
side.

It sure looks like the pilot was taking off from a high-density
altitude airport with no flaps, downwind.

Wow, that was ugly. It looked like he was accelerating pretty good when
he went past the camera, but just couldn't quite establish a climb. I
did hear the one witness mention it being a downwind takeoff. Another
witness mentioned an engine sputter, so it also sounds like it wasn't
leaned at all for the altitude. Very unfortunate.

Matt
Old September 1st 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

It sure looks like the pilot was taking off from a high-density
altitude airport with no flaps, downwind.

What's horrifying is how everything looks fine and then suddenly goes all
wrong.

Recent experience gives me a lot of empathy with this situation. Never
hesitate to abort the instant you have any doubt about the success of a
takeoff.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old September 1st 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 31, 7:44 pm, Jay Honeck wrote:
http://fox40.trb.com/

In an amazing coincidence, a Sacramento TV station was at Cameron Park
airport filming background for a story about the crash of a plane that
had departed earlier in the day and caught a second crash on video. Go
to the web site and click on "Cameron Park Plane Crash" on the right
side.

It sure looks like the pilot was taking off from a high-density
altitude airport with no flaps, downwind.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Who in their right mind would attempt a downwind, short field take-off
at high-density altitude into rising terrain? Just thinking about it
makes me pucker. What was this guy thinking? You can tell he had a
fair amount of a tail-wind by the movement of the tree branches in the
foreground.

Old September 1st 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:

http://fox40.trb.com/

It sure looks like the pilot was taking off from a high-density
altitude airport with no flaps, downwind.

From this link I would not say that it was a high DA airport.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/O61

Downwind? I just could not tell from the vegetation moving and I
never saw a windsock.

It did appear as though he was rapidly approaching the end of pavement
and may have lifted off with minimal airspeed. Note the wings soon
after liftoff and then right before the impact with terrain.

Shouldn't 4000' be enough at that elevation for that aircraft?

Ron Lee

Old September 1st 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jay Honeck wrote:
http://fox40.trb.com/

In an amazing coincidence, a Sacramento TV station was at Cameron Park
airport filming background for a story about the crash of a plane that
had departed earlier in the day and caught a second crash on video. Go
to the web site and click on "Cameron Park Plane Crash" on the right
side.

It sure looks like the pilot was taking off from a high-density
altitude airport with no flaps, downwind.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

If this was the case, you can add 4 people into the weight and balance.
No telling how much fuel he had in the tanks; assuming they were full
you can add that as well. It's been a long time but 74 gals rings a bell.
Truly sad.
Dudley Henriques

--
Dudley Henriques
Old September 1st 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Granby

Another witness mentioned an engine sputter

Whatever the cause of a crash, there's always someone who hears the
engine splutter...

Old September 1st 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Aug 31, 7:27 pm, wrote:
[...]

Its not a shorf field by any stretch. The altitude at our airport is
1200'.

-Robert

Old September 1st 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Aug 31, 7:40 pm, Mike Granby wrote:
Another witness mentioned an engine sputter

Whatever the cause of a crash, there's always someone who hears the
engine splutter...

All aircraft engines sputter, that's just the nature of how they work.
They don't sound like BMV engines.