Is it an airplane?

Old November 2nd 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
John[_1_]

Default Is it an airplane?

Okay folks,

Have a look at 38°32'4.78"N and 89°50'14.30"W on Google Maps, just
above the two light aircraft. There is what may be a slab sided
blotchy green thing with what appear to be swept wings. Beneath each
"wing" appears to be a drop tank midway between the root and tip. By
the way, the location appears to be adjacent to the Aero Club at Scott
AFB.

At first, I thought it was an old F-4. Now I am pretty convinced it
is not. With apologies to any Rhino drivers out there . . . what the
Heck is that thing??????

Thanks in advance . . . and take care.

John

Old November 2nd 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
John Keeney

On Nov 1, 9:55 pm, John wrote:
Okay folks,

Have a look at 38°32'4.78"N and 89°50'14.30"W on Google Maps, just
above the two light aircraft. There is what may be a slab sided
blotchy green thing with what appear to be swept wings. Beneath each
"wing" appears to be a drop tank midway between the root and tip. By
the way, the location appears to be adjacent to the Aero Club at Scott
AFB.

At first, I thought it was an old F-4. Now I am pretty convinced it
is not. With apologies to any Rhino drivers out there . . . what the
Heck is that thing??????

Thanks in advance . . . and take care.

John

Looks like a buisness jet or small airliner in a partial state of
disassembly to me.

Old November 2nd 07, 11:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
TJ

On 2 Nov, 03:55, John wrote:
Okay folks,

Have a look at 38°32'4.78"N and 89°50'14.30"W on Google Maps, just
above the two light aircraft. There is what may be a slab sided
blotchy green thing with what appear to be swept wings. Beneath each
"wing" appears to be a drop tank midway between the root and tip. By
the way, the location appears to be adjacent to the Aero Club at Scott
AFB.

At first, I thought it was an old F-4. Now I am pretty convinced it
is not. With apologies to any Rhino drivers out there . . . what the
Heck is that thing??????

Thanks in advance . . . and take care.

John

Could it be a ground instructional trainer? I was thinking fire
training rig, but looking at the location possibly not.

This is the fire rig at Scott. I would guess that it is on a remote
part of the airbase?

http://www.932aw.afrc.af.mil/shared/...1348P-8110.jpg

Old November 2nd 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
TJ

On 2 Nov, 13:24, Bob Moore wrote:
John wrote

Have a look at 38°32'4.78"N and 89°50'14.30"W on Google Maps,
Heck is that thing??????

Looks like a Lockheed Jetstar (C-140) to me.
See the Wikipedia page for picture.

Bob Moore

Yes I have to agree with Bob. It is looking like the Jetstar.

Jetstar at Scott AFB

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0420127/L/

Discussion during 2005. It looks like it has been moved from the 2005
spot.

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php?Number=136701

In comparison a Jetstar can be seen in Libya at 32 40 35.74N 13 09
06.73E. There is also another Jetstar located further to the north.

Old November 3rd 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
John[_1_]

Wow, I am impressed. I went to the coordinates that ya'll gave and
saw the civilian Jetstars and went back to my coordinates to look
again. I too agree that what we saw at Scott was a C-140 Jetstar.

Take care . . .

John

Old November 5th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Ad absurdum per aspera

I too agree that what we saw at Scott was a C-140 Jetstar.

That makes sense. A unit at the base used to operate the type and one
is evidently being preserved for display on the future
http://www.scottfieldairpark.org/

The fairly ubiquitous Air Force fire trainer (e.g., the photo someone
posted earlier at
http://www.932aw.afrc.af.mil/shared/...1348P-8110.jpg)
is, I gather, a generic representation of a jet, made out of fairly
thick steel, rather than an actual retired aircraft -- presumably it
gives greater safety for the firefighters and much longer use than a
real fuselage. (Various civilian airports and perhaps some military
units *do* use actual derelict aluminum-type aircraft in their
distant hinterlands for firefighter training, but with smoke
generators only, AFAIK.)

Such a fire training facility is usually installed in a shallow
circular concrete bowl for containment purposes. In the photo
note its proximity to a stand of trees and the water tower. I think
that's almost due north of the probable C-140, inside the corner of
Locust and Van Buren Streets.

--Joe