Landing C-130 on carrier.

Old July 6th 04, 03:13 PM
Harold A. Climer

Default Landing C-130 on carrier.

On JAG last Friday evening they had a episode where a C-130 landed on
an Aircraft carrier. At the end of the program is showed a picture of
a C-130 hat had landed on the Forestall in 1957 . Has anyone
acomplished this feat on FS?
Harold A. Climer
Dept. Of Physics,Geology, and Astronomy
U.T. Chattanooga
318 Grote Hall
615 McCallie Ave
Chattanooga TN 37403
Old July 6th 04, 07:12 PM
shu

i landed a 747 on a carrier

it didn't actually *Stop* on the deck .. but it sure landed..

--
**********
shu

Old July 9th 04, 11:33 PM
Alisha's Addict

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 14:13:01 GMT, Harold A. Climer
wrote:

On JAG last Friday evening they had a episode where a C-130 landed on
an Aircraft carrier. At the end of the program is showed a picture of
a C-130 hat had landed on the Forestall in 1957 . Has anyone
acomplished this feat on FS?
Harold A. Climer

You might be interested in this page :

http://www.airandspacemagazine.com/A...QT/HercOn.html

And this one too :-)

http://www.airandspacemagazine.com/A...T/HercOff.html

Not got anything for FS though.

Pete Lilleyman

(please get rid of ".getrid" to reply direct)
(don't get rid of the dontspam though ;-)
Old July 10th 04, 12:50 AM
T. & D. Gregor, Sr.

From our main index page www.scenery.org go to --- Carriers ---
C-130 Hercules for a synopsis of this remarkable chapter in navel
aviation, as well as a more complete set of related photos, plus a
link to the definitive publication on the "HERK".

Good Luck

Tom G, Sr.

wrote:

On JAG last Friday evening they had a episode where a C-130 landed on
an Aircraft carrier. At the end of the program is showed a picture of
a C-130 hat had landed on the Forestall in 1957 . Has anyone
acomplished this feat on FS?
Harold A. Climer

You might be interested in this page :

http://www.airandspacemagazine.com/A...QT/HercOn.html

And this one too :-)

http://www.airandspacemagazine.com/A...T/HercOff.html

Not got anything for FS though.

Pete Lilleyman

(please get rid of ".getrid" to reply direct)
(don't get rid of the dontspam though ;-)

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Name: T. & D. Gregor, Sr.
E-Mail:
Web-Site:
http://www.scenery.org
"The Scenery Hall of Fame"
Subscribe to our Newsletter:

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Old July 19th 04, 09:10 PM
Al Denelsbeck

Harold A. Climer wrote in
:

On JAG last Friday evening they had a episode where a C-130 landed on
an Aircraft carrier. At the end of the program is showed a picture of
a C-130 hat had landed on the Forestall in 1957 . Has anyone
acomplished this feat on FS?
Harold A. Climer
Dept. Of Physics,Geology, and Astronomy
U.T. Chattanooga
318 Grote Hall
615 McCallie Ave
Chattanooga TN 37403

Sorry for the lateness in replying. Don't bother with this group much
anymore.

But in answer to your question, Yep! I've done it several times in
FS98 (one of the reasons I don't bother anymore). Need to change the .air
file to beef up the spoilers (changed Spoiler Drag from 11 to 30865) but
other than that, no real mods necessary. As I understand it, for the real
thing the only modification was increasing the strength of the brakes
themselves - no arrestor hook was used, and the aircraft landed straight,
not on the angled deck.

If you want to see something downright frightening, check out
http://www.aviationexplorer.com/movies/C130Accident.mpg

This is a video of a prototype design intended for rescuing the
Iranian hostages in 1980, following the failed attempt by helicopter. The
idea was to be able to land a C-130 onto a *soccer field*, and subsequently
take off again from the same field. As such, it featured JATO rockets not
only for takeoff, but for rapid deceleration to land as well. The project
was abandoned. If you look close at the video, you'll see the JATOs mounted
vertically for takeoff, as well as the typical units for acceleration.

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to separate G and I in the domain