Where can I train in a PW-6? Seminole Lake's is down for maintenancefor a couple of months

Old September 1st 17, 11:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Where can I train in a PW-6? Seminole Lake's is down for maintenancefor a couple of months

Hi, all.

I have a PW-5 that I bought but have never flown. Since the PW-6 is the 2-place trainer for the PW-5, I was hoping to train in a PW-6 for and hour or so before attempting the PW-5.

I just spoke with Seminole Lake Gliderport (here in Florida) who said that their PW-6 is down for maintenance for a couple of months.

Unfortunately SSA's search engine(as far as I know) doesn't have a search filter to find out which gliderports have a PW-6 available for training.

Does anyone know if there is one in (or near) Florida? or how can I find out where are all the PW-6's available for training in the US?

Ben
Old September 1st 17, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 6:56:36 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi, all.

I have a PW-5 that I bought but have never flown. Since the PW-6 is the 2-place trainer for the PW-5, I was hoping to train in a PW-6 for and hour or so before attempting the PW-5.

I just spoke with Seminole Lake Gliderport (here in Florida) who said that their PW-6 is down for maintenance for a couple of months.

Unfortunately SSA's search engine(as far as I know) doesn't have a search filter to find out which gliderports have a PW-6 available for training.

Does anyone know if there is one in (or near) Florida? or how can I find out where are all the PW-6's available for training in the US?

Ben

On Facebook, on 23 August, Chilhowee Soaring Association talks about their new PW-6 being picked up. Most glass two-seaters (or L-23) would provide the training you would need to fly a PW-5.
Old September 1st 17, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Citrus Soaring

Sugarbush has a PW6 in Vermont.

Chilhowee just took delivery of a brand new PW6 in Tennessee.

I have a lot of time in the PW6 at Seminole lake and it is a very nice flying sailplane. It's very similar to an ask-21 in handling. I have not flown a PW5 but have flown the 6 with people that have and they say they are almost identical.

Those 3 locations are the only ones I am aware of on the east coast.

Franklin Burbank

Old September 1st 17, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Or just train in an ASK21 closer to home.
We used to train in 2-33s for the 1-26. The PeeWee is no more different to an ASK21 than a 1-26 to a 2-33.
Jim
Old September 1st 17, 02:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 01 Sep 2017 03:56:33 -0700, charlesethridge wrote:

Hi, all.

I have a PW-5 that I bought but have never flown. Since the PW-6 is the
2-place trainer for the PW-5, I was hoping to train in a PW-6 for and
hour or so before attempting the PW-5.

Its a while since I flew a PW-5, but that was directly after stepping out
of a Twin Astir and was not a problem. I have only aero-towed in one: I
have no idea about PW-5 behaviour on a winch or other ground launch.

The one issue I was warned about was PIO on aero-tow take-off: this can
be an issue because the PW-5 has a rather light wing loading and a
relatively short spacing between nose and main wheels. If you raise the
nose too far and too soon the PW-5 can pop off the ground quite suddenly
and over-correction can drop it back onto the ground equally suddenly,
which is where the short wheelbase is likely to provoke a PIO.

That said, it wasn't an issue because I'd been warned. I raised the nose
a small amount as soon as the elevator became effective, just as I would
with a G103, ASK-21, Puchacz or any other nose-wheel glider, and let it
run on its main wheel until it lifted off quite nicely as the speed built
up. Once off the ground and flying behind the tug during its ground run,
it was happy to sit there until the tug took off.

A practise run in any nose-wheel training glider would be a good idea if
you normally fly tail-wheel gliders.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 1st 17, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

The PW-5 is one of the easiest flying and safest gliders out there.

It flies much easier and lighter than the ASK-21 or any other sailplane I've flown. I flew my PW-5 on my 7th solo flight during flight training with no issues (and loved it!)

I did not find take off to be an issue. The tow rope will lift the nose wheel off the runway slightly and off you go. I agree with Martin - don't be too anxious to start flying. The ship will do that for you at the correct speed.

The controls are really light and, after a while, you just think of rolling into a thermal and the glider just does it for you.

The only caution would be landing. If you land with more than 1/2 airbrakes, the ground might come up and meet you a little too fast.

Enjoy your new PeeWee!

Lou
Old September 1st 17, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 5:56:36 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi, all.

I have a PW-5 that I bought but have never flown. Since the PW-6 is the 2-place trainer for the PW-5, I was hoping to train in a PW-6 for and hour or so before attempting the PW-5.

Does anyone know if there is one in (or near) Florida? or how can I find out where are all the PW-6's available for training in the US?

Ben

If Chilhowee doesn't have theirs up and going yet, you could probably enroll in a class at Mississippi State in Starkville, MS and fly the one their Soaring Club owns.

To see all the currently registered PW-6s in the US, you can look he

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...t=PW6&PageNo=1

Hope this helps!

Steve Leonard
Old September 1st 17, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Likely the closest thing I've flown to a PW-5 has been a G-103, but (IMO) the
advice given previously in this thread has been solidly good. Were the advice
excerpted immediately below universally applied to "3-wheeled gliders" (G-103,
ASK-21, PW-X, etc.) I'd bet Real Money on there being fewer "liftoff
pitch-related silliness" incidents than there've historically been...

[Snip...]I raised the nose
a small amount as soon as the elevator became effective, just as I would
with a G103, ASK-21, Puchacz or any other nose-wheel glider, and let it
run on its main wheel until it lifted off quite nicely as the speed built
up.

Some instructors will likely argue semantics, but IMHO, one way of making an
end run around the (implied above) need to "raise the nose a small amount as
soon as the elevator becomes effective" is to begin the ground roll with full
aft stick and then *relax* back pressure as the nose wheel gradually comes off
the ground, halting the stick motion at some deck/fuselage angle rolling only
on the center wheel and hold that fore/aft position until the plane levitates
into the air on its own. In a G-103 at 5300' msl behind a 260hp Pawnee, the
acceleration rate is sufficiently gradual as to make the "stick relaxation
rate" a no-brainer. The advantage (in my mind) is there's no need to wonder if
you've sufficient airflow over the controls to be *able* to raise the nose
with a timed pitch input...

More good advice...
A practise run in any nose-wheel training glider would be a good idea if
you normally fly tail-wheel gliders.

Have fun with your PW-5!!!

Bob W.

P.S. My suggestion presumes a nose hook connection...

---
http://www.avg.com

Old September 1st 17, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nigel Pocock[_2_]

Have fun with your PW-5!!!

Bob W.

P.S. My suggestion presumes a nose hook connection...

---
http://www.avg.com

A word of caution. If you are using winch or autotow with the CofG
hook be aware they can accelerate to full climb in the blink of an eye
even with full forward stick if the initial acceleration is too fierce. I
discovered this the hard way and only regained any control at 100ft.