A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

CG Trimming after Tail Boom Repair

Old November 25th 17, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default CG Trimming after Tail Boom Repair

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 7:32:29 AM UTC-7, AS wrote:
A boom repair should not require that much ballast in the nose to get the empty airframe in CG range.

I have seen boom repairs just short of having 2x4s inside, so if it is one of those, that much lead in the nose may be indeed required.

Uli
'AS'

You mean like this?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gy3qkujmyy...26.49.jpg?dl=0
Old November 25th 17, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 10:24:14 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 7:32:29 AM UTC-7, AS wrote:
A boom repair should not require that much ballast in the nose to get the empty airframe in CG range.

I have seen boom repairs just short of having 2x4s inside, so if it is one of those, that much lead in the nose may be indeed required.

Uli
'AS'

You mean like this?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gy3qkujmyy...26.49.jpg?dl=0

Yep - pretty much like that. Still, my vote for the top price for the most terrible repair would go to a Ka6e with a Bondo'ed on cuff over one side of the all-flying elevator after an off-field landing mishap. I wonder how much lead in the nose that one required - provided a W&B was even done after that 'repair'.
Uli
'AS'
Old November 26th 17, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

My memory is a little hazy but I recall seeing Rudy Alleman's 301 Libelle at the 1981 15M nats in Minden with glassed on external longerons. I could have my facts wrong but apparently the tail boom had been broken a few times and he decided he didn't want to go thru that again.

Chip Bearden
Old November 26th 17, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I remember seeing Rudy's H-301 with the splints on the boom of his H-301 after he was forced to put it down in the canyon on the south end of Topaz Valley!
Remember examining the internals of his wing with Dick Schreder.............believe that was the last flight of that bird.
JJ
Old November 27th 17, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 3:38:54 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I remember seeing Rudy's H-301 with the splints on the boom of his H-301 after he was forced to put it down in the canyon on the south end of Topaz Valley!
Remember examining the internals of his wing with Dick Schreder.............believe that was the last flight of that bird.
JJ

Last flight while Rudy owned it, maybe. It got repaired and I believe is based at Avenal, CA now. I think its old trailer is visible on Street View as you "drive" by the airport.

Steve Leonard
Old November 27th 17, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

That makes sense! Eric & JJ: you were at that contest. I recall hearing that Rudy had landed on a road in a narrow canyon late in the contest somewhere down south of Minden (towards Bridgeport?). "Splints" sounds more accurate. I definitely saw them once but don't recall seeing them on the fuselage on the takeoff line, although it was a big contest.

Just checked the Soaring archives and Rudy took a DNC the last day so that's consistent with his not flying it that way. Thx for closing the loop on my memory after all these years!

Chip Bearden
Old November 28th 17, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 1:01:18 PM UTC-8, wrote:
snip Rudy had landed on a road in a narrow canyon late in the contest somewhere down south of Minden (towards Bridgeport?).
"Splints" sounds more accurate. I definitely saw them once but don't recall seeing them on the fuselage on the takeoff line,

I have been part of a recovery team for a glider that was badly pranged and boom shattered on an outlanding. Take a lot of photos BEFORE you move the parts. (Have authorization from local flight bureaucracy before disturbing the site.) I do strongly advise hauling along splints of whatever rigid and preferably LIGHT material you can carry. Aluminum conduit would be handy, pipe - PVC or metal, wood splints least favored. And a few rolls of duct tape. The internal push rods and cabling make removing the tail difficult in the field, and you are trying to minimize further damage. A few extra people, and a few feet of rope to sling the boom after splinting is necessary.. Sounds silly but a long blanket or sleeping bag can be used to sling the tail section, which can't be rolled until after repair.
Bothering to post these kinds of details is a way to pass along "skills" to the newer generation -- beyond where I can wave and point. My wish is to never have to use this knowledge again.

Cindy B
So Calif, USA