Collectible Gliders in a (California) hardware store

Old November 15th 03, 07:06 AM
Kizuno

Default Collectible Gliders in a (California) hardware store

So today I'm walking through Orchard Supply Hardware ("OSH") with my 3 year old
son when what do I see right in with the plastic Christmas trees and battery
powered Santas? A model glider!

A 1:38 scale Franklin Utility Glider model in DIE CAST METAL ("none of those
plastic planes like Dad flies"). It's labeled "Die-Cast Coin Bank", although
it looks like you could only put about 5 coins in it. I couldn't believe it.
I bought it on the spot for $20. It has a 12 inch wingspan and 7 inch
fuselage. For being die-cast and $20, it looks great!

After reading the text on the side of the box, I went rooting around on the Web
and found the manufacturer, RC2 (rc2corp.com) who apparently makes all kinds of
metal replicas for sale and promotion. See some examples at:

http://www.rcertl.com/brand/custom_p...lanes_01.shtml

The Franklin glider is not listed, likely too new. As it looks to be a
promotional item only (the OSH logo is prominent on the wing), you can probably
only buy them at OSH.

Of course, these models are certainly no threat to the ultra-fine craftsman
models that HpH and others produce. On the other hand, an HpH model would be
smashed to bits in seconds by my boy. This Franklin model is built like a
brick and heavy enough to double as a hammer. Which, I'm sure, it will be used
for when I'm not looking..........

Kemp

P.S. For non-USA readers, a hardware store is a place where you buy tools &
parts, generally for house projects.
Old November 15th 03, 08:16 AM
F.L. Whiteley

"Kizuno" wrote in message
[...]

&
parts, generally for house projects.

neat post

in the UK it's the ironmongers

Old November 15th 03, 09:45 AM
Keith W

In the 'old days', a plastic replica of a wood or metal prototype was
thought of a being cheap and tacky. If one has a metal replica of a plastic
prototype, should that be thought of as 'cheap and tacky'? 8-)

Keith