Libelle Wings

Old February 28th 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Thermaler

Default Libelle Wings

Is there any problem with 201 Libelle wings on gliders with early
serial numbers? I have heard that the earliest models had balsa cores
and they should be avoided. If so, at what serial number did the
switch from balsa occur? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old February 28th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

301 and early 201 both had Balsa core wing spars.
201 somewhere in the early stages at about ser# 50 or so the cores where
changed to foam making the Libelle the first truly "plastic" airplane. Balsa
cores on the Libelle's have never been an issue and as long the glider was
well kept and well maintained these should be no consequence. Balsa cores
were of course an issue on the ASW15 in particular but even then and I've
seen this first hand, was only on very poorly stored and lack of maintenance
on this particular glider type.
Keep in mind that many gliders have had and some still have wood in the
structures, I think primarily Schleicher used more wood in their later
gliders for bulkheads than anyone else and even these wood parts can be
subject to damage when not well cared for, even though most are buried under
composite materials or treated with some finish lacquer or varnish.
Later Libelle's also went through a variety of modifications, retractable
gear,when allowed for standard class gliders, larger tail surfaces,
conversion from top/bottom spoiler to top only spoiler design and the first
again truly disposable ballast system (water).
Keep in mind that any Libelle can be reclassified to a "B" by simply
changing the operators manual and speed limits, even earliest Balsa core
models so many "B" Libelle's may not have the later improvements and later
201's can be simply 201's with the improvements and not be "B" models. The
"B" essentially allowed the Libelle to fly with a "Factory" water ballast
system, with increased weight and speeds.
Any one of the Libelle's though can be if well cared for, despite their age
a viable and enjoyable flying machine.. (I've had 3 of these)
tim

Old March 1st 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Thermaler

Thank you for your prompt and very informative response. Where can I
find out about the "improvements"?

On Feb 28, 11:00 am, "Tim Mara" wrote:
[...]
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website atwww.wingsandwheels.com

"Thermaler" wrote in message

ps.com...

Is there any problem with 201 Libelle wings on gliders with early
serial numbers? I have heard that the earliest models had balsa cores
and they should be avoided. If so, at what serial number did the
switch from balsa occur? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Old March 1st 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

not sure, they really aren't published anywhere, Hansjörg Streifeneder,
Glasfaser-Flugzeug-Service GmbH http://www.streifly.de/home-eng.html is the
official source parts and support for all early original Glasflugel
sailplanes but doesn't have any data listed on his website. Essentially the
items I noted were the improvements, ballast, spoilers, larger tail, foam
cores from the very first Libelle to the last (over 600 produced!) but the
even though Libelle has long been out of production, most are still flying.
Regardless of the ser# and improvements all are still today viable and
enjoayble machines with many features copied by other manufacturers and many
features still only part of the very unique and wonderful littel glider.
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

"Thermaler" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

"Thermaler" wrote in message

ps.com...

Is there any problem with 201 Libelle wings on gliders with early
serial numbers? I have heard that the earliest models had balsa cores
and they should be avoided. If so, at what serial number did the
switch from balsa occur? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.- Hide
quoted text -

X-Wings and Canard Rotor Wings. Charles Gray Rotorcraft 1 March 22nd 05 12:26 AM
Wanted: Libelle 201 (USA) Tim Hanke Soaring 0 February 8th 05 07:14 PM
Libelle Web Site f.blair Soaring 0 June 23rd 04 08:06 AM
Libelle owners f.blair Soaring 1 June 23rd 04 03:05 AM
Libelle Gap Sealing Owain Walters Soaring 4 April 11th 04 07:13 PM